EMG 18volt Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 18volt Mod

Has anyone done this? What did it do to the pickup's feel? I'm using an 85 in all my guitars. Where is a good place to buy cheap batery connectors? Does the mod add noise? Sound clips would be apreciated

PS NO "I dislike EMG's so they must be crap"
    Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Go to Radio Shack for the connector. get some heat shrink and a soldering iron etc and try it.

Comment

I have two 89s and it gave them a little more headroom but didn't make that much difference. I did the same thing to my p-bass and it made a lot of difference, the headroom was much more noticeable and it seemed to have tighter low end. It's easy to do and easy to undo so the best thing is to try it and see what you think.

Comment

search the forums. This has been talked about in many threads and is very popular.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shreder13 View Post
          Has anyone done this?
          Yes.
          What did it do to the pickup's feel?
          Don't know, it was my first EMG81
          I'm using an 85 in all my guitars. Where is a good place to buy cheap batery connectors?
          Radio Shack has been mentioned. Short of that, dig through the trash looking for a radio or some other junk that uses a 9v battery
          Does the mod add noise?
          No.
          Sound clips would be apreciated
          No. Trust you on this one-you don't wanna hear

Comment

I tried this out on a guitar, i didn't notice much difference. if someone were to post an A/B sound clip you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference. But its and easy mod so just try it out, if you dont like it just take it out.

Comment

I've done it to all my guitars with EMG 81's in it. It makes an pretty slight difference, but I can hear it. I would imagine it does more for bass circuits than guitar circuits.

Comment

thanks
                Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

i did it on a couple guitars but i actually liked it better in 9v, it just sounds better to me i guess.

Comment

I have had one of my guitars wired 18v and to tell the truth...If I wasn't so lazy I would change it back.

If you like it to sound slightly less compressed than you might like it...I kinda like the tighter compressed sound of an 81 9v set up.

I hate the term "Organic" but some might use that term to describe what the 18v set up does to the tone...lets just say...it looses some of what makes an active pup special...

"Organic" like as if there are pickups naturally grown or something lol...
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

When I did it to the 89 in my KE-1, I started hearing fret rattle that I hadn't heard before. To me, it makes the sound more open and detailed.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.
                      please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Guys,

To change it back to 9 volts, just wire a jumper across the + and - on the second 9 volt connector. You could use aluminum foil for the jumper. Just wrap it up in electrical tape to keep it from touching anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X