Pedalboard build - order of FX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedalboard build - order of FX?

I have one rig right now that is MIDI - my ENGL Savage 120, with ENGL Midi interface, an ART X-15 realtime expression/controller, and a G Major. Pretty happy with it.. need no boost/pedals, and the nosie gate in the G Maj keeps it quite. But it's big and heavy (in a single roadcase - head plus FX).

I have been tapped to possibly do some playing (after 6 yrs of not being in a band) with 2 bands, and want to build a pedalboard for use with my other various amps, so I don't have to haul the big rig around (not for a cover band).
    Amp will range from an Egnater seminar amp, an older marshall, a Suhr modded marshall, and if I am in a heavy mood, a 5150. I know there are more versatile amps out there, but this is just using what I currently have. Leaning towards the 5150 for 1 band, the Suhr for the other
    I am thinking of this signal path, but want to make sure the order is correct. I'm a plug and play guy - been YEARS since I used pedals...

Gtr - to tuner- to vol pedal - to wah- to phase or flange - to BB boost - to amp.
    Time based and modulation (primarilly chorus) FX would be in the FX loop, not between the guitar and amp
    IF I use my 5150, I will use a Boss NS-2 with the 4 cable method, and a BBE will be in the loop as well as the delays and the chrous

Is this correct, or is there a simpler/clenaer way to do it? It LOOKS alot cleaner than it reads
    Thanks for any input

Wouldn't the phase/flange be better off in the FX loop as well?

Comment

IMO, phase/flange sounds better in front of the amp.
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
        IMO, phase/flange sounds better in front of the amp.
        +1
        keep the phase in front
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

my MXR flanger definitely works best in the loop on my ENGL blackmore head, rather than in front of the amp... YMMV, of course...

other than that I'd say your list looks sane enough

Comment

phasers, vibes and tremolos work best before any preamp or OD/Distortion pedal. A flanger and chorus can go before or after the preamp depending on the pedal - most digital stuff works way better in a loop.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
            X