Home/Practice Amp Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home/Practice Amp Advice

I need the helpful advice of the forum - I'm looking for a small, home/practice-size amp that can deliver a full, thick, heavy sound without much more than maybe an effects pedal or two - My pickups are primarily Seymour Duncan humbuckers, and I play mostly Jackson/Charvel guitars with a Les Paul thrown in every now and then - What brands/models would you all recommend??

I'm searching for that kind of tone in a practice amp from aeons now and I think it simply impossible to get it with small speaker and/or low spl. That being said, at home I play with a podxt and a Vox DA5. Before I get the DA5 the pod was my main home rig, but now I prefer to play with the DA5 expecially for practice. The pod has better overall tones but the Vox respond and feel like a real amp. Well actually it's a real amp but you know what I mean
    I had a Spider II 30 and I prefer the Vox DA5 for clean and crunchy and 80s metal sounds. The Spider was better for modern distortion sounds though but it has a 12'' speaker too. Now I'm gassin for a AD15VT-XL but I cannot justify (well it just a matter of time maybe..) spending 200€ for a practice combo, after all I'm well set with my home rig.
    In the end, I think that you cannot go wrong with a modelling amp, try Vox, Roland and Line 6 and take the one you like the best!

Comment

If cost is not a problem...this is what I use and I have incredible versatility...

Boss GT-8 -> Carvin TS100 -> 1x12 with Celestion V30.

it costs almost $1000, but the amount of tones I can get it amazing.

I can get awesome tones at bedroom volumes. Thick, thin, you name it. And the speaker cab has a removable back. If I remove the back, the headroom is unbelievable and it feels like I'm using a 4x12.
      Sam

Comment

E-Bay a nice used Mesa F-30
        I think you'll likey.
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Fender GDEC's are great practice amps, and have drums.

Comment

Good advice so far - Are any of the smaller Marshalls worth looking at??

I'm also seriously considering looking at the Line 6 series - I've heard some good things.
            Last edited by dark_knight; 02-18-2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Mini-Uberschall.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

This new Heartbreaker thing from Crate is supposed to be pretty good. It's Chinese, but it's got tubes.

I picked up a 35w Drive combo from MF for $40. It's about the size of your average 1x12" combo, but it's got 4 x 6". And it actually moves the air in front of it, which is impressive to me for such a small amp.

I've always wanted a Marshall mini-stack, but never got around to getting one.

A THD UniValve and an Ear Candy Bailey speaker cab (or two) would be a pretty awesome setup.

Any tube amp can be safely taken down to 1% of its output with a Koch Loadbox.

The GDEC is part of my crazy practice/study rig, which I've shown here before:

(Yes, I have vacuumed since this pic!)
                please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

This is were I'm finding my new Mesa 5:50 is really cool, being able to knock it down to the 5 watts class A mode for practice and recording, then flipping the switch and rattling the windows!
                  Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
                  Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
                  Fender Telecaster Standard MM
                  Jackson Dinky DKMGT
                  Jackson Stealth EX
                  Charvel 375
                  Ibanez Daytripper
                  OLP Musicman
                  Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
                  Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

I had a Vox DA5 too. It was nice. I ended up not playing it that much. After some time sitting I sold it to a kid in need of his first amp. Afterwards I found another amp that would better suit me for practice: Tech21 Trademark30.
                    http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

Comment

I have a few Marshall Micro Stacks from the 80s. My favorite (because of the tone) is my Silver Jubilee. From the 80s, some had two outputs (headphone and direct out) in the front, some had one in the front one in the back. The circuits are different. My silver has the single headphone out on the front.

At the apartment I stay at I have a POD 2.0 and it works very well. Get a good set of headphones and you'll be impressed. Or a good hi-fi system.

Short of that, get a 1/2 stack with a 100 watt head.

Comment

I'm quite curious about the Krank mini stack, has anyone tried that one?

Comment

I have a couple Line 6 amps, and they both work very well for home practice. The flextone II is the best out of the bunch for me , it has a floorboard unit with a volume pedal, wah, and is programable with the amp. you can get them used on the bay for 2 to 3 hundred. many amp settings and smokes at a low volume.

Comment

Well, I just ordered this: http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=2331000000

Comment

http://www.music123.com/Krank-Rev-Jr...:referralID=NA

Comment

Working...
                              X