Epiphone valve jr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone valve jr

Hey guys, I just picked up a new Epiphone valve jr head and after looking around online it appears that there are 3 versions of the head? From the little I have read, it looks like the brand of tubes have been changed since it's original release in 2006 and the output transformer was also updated. Any truth to this, and if so how do you tell which version you have. I just want to make sure I have the latest version available. Thanks.

No idea, but what if the lastest version isn't the best?

I don't have the lastest version of Windows.

My Blues Jr. is an older one made in USA, so I guess it's not as good as the ones made in Mexico?

My DSL100 is from 1998 when they used Drake transformers. The newer ones are made with the cheaper Dagnall's, so are they better?

Comment

dang dude.....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

the brand "x" toilet paper that they get at work used to be made in USA and now it is made somewhere else.... Before it was tolerable but now it is like wiping your ass with shreadded wheat.... i'd say the older paper was much better...

Comment

Don, I guess I feel if there are different versions there is a purpose to the update otherwise why would they do it? Does it make it better, who knows but I'd hope so otherwise what's the point.

After posting this I decided to call Gibson/Epiphone (probably should have done this first..Ha) and spoke with a guy named Bob who primarily deals with the amps and he said there is only 1 version of the head. He mentioned that the combo has 3 versions, but the head remained unchanged. I guess he'd know better than something I read online.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
            the brand "x" toilet paper that they get at work used to be made in USA and now it is made somewhere else.... Before it was tolerable but now it is like wiping your ass with shreadded wheat.... i'd say the older paper was much better...

Just wear some depends and forget about it.....Ha!
            Last edited by 10secondLX; 02-27-2008, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10secondLX View Post
              Don, I guess I feel if there are different versions there is a purpose to the update otherwise why would they do it? Does it make it better, who knows but I'd hope so otherwise what's the point.

After posting this I decided to call Gibson/Epiphone (probably should have done this first..Ha) and spoke with a guy named Bob who primarily deals with the amps and he said there is only 1 version of the head. He mentioned that the combo has 3 versions, but the head remained unchanged. I guess he'd know better than something I read online.
              The first version of the combo was noisy because it lacked a component they put in the head to eliminate hum. So later versions of the combo incorporated that feature because the word got around ant it hurt sales of the combo.

As for updates always being better, as tohers have said here sometimes the "update" is a change to cheaper or crappier components. That's why Marshalls from the 60s are so much more desirable and valuable than the modern Marshalls.

But for a $99 amp head you can't much complain, they are pretty damn cool for a C-note.
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

lol...

hmmm. do i have to go to the bathroom.... ? well, that depends.... lol.

Comment

Has anyone tried the new heartbreaker heads that are 5 watts? Are they made by the same people who Manufacture the Gibson heads?

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                    The first version of the combo was noisy because it lacked a component they put in the head to eliminate hum. So later versions of the combo incorporated that feature because the word got around ant it hurt sales of the combo.

As for updates always being better, as tohers have said here sometimes the "update" is a change to cheaper or crappier components. That's why Marshalls from the 60s are so much more desirable and valuable than the modern Marshalls.

But for a $99 amp head you can't much complain, they are pretty damn cool for a C-note.

I agree for the money they are very cool, and I didn't want to start an old vs new war I was just asking a question. Heck I like my old Johnson J-station vs a lot of the newer stuff that's out there.

Comment

I just got one of the Blackheart 5 watters the other day. Haven't had much time with it yet but so far it's pretty cool.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

cool. when you get to spending some time with it please do a review.

Comment

Firebird, check this video out.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I have 4 of them sitting around, waiting for BitMo mods...along with 4 Hammond transformers... one of these days...
                            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

You know, years ago I wondered what all sorts of amplifiers would sound like through crappy camcorder mics, compressed into digital media and then compressed again for streaming on the internet. No need to wonder anymore, it's all poo!

Comment

Working...
                              X