Ampeg V 1002

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
    No. That was not mine. That was Ken's guitarist Matts rig at the time. Funny though, I was in a band with a guy that had one of those at the time I had the VL. That one there is a Solid State Ampeg. Look out Jack though... It was loud as hell and sounded great. It is one of my all time favorite SS amps. I think they are like 300w or something like that. That is the rig he used to do there demos I believe. Is that your Carvin there in front of it?

I believe that is an Ampeg VH140CH in the pic. Monster toane out of that SS head. It kills... I thought it was a tube head when I first heard one.
    Yes, that's my Carvin there. Thanks for the info on the amp. I couldn't remember what the hell it was, but I remember it sounding really good for only the couple minutes Ken fired it up.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I ever see one I will let you know wherre to find it if you are interested in one. They are not really all that available. Most people that have them keep them around. They really do get a great metal tone.

Now. Not sure if this is true but supposedly the Crate GT3500h is modelled after this amp with just a crate badge on it... I have never had them side by side to check them out but it might be worth finding one. Since Crate and Ampeg are both owned by St Louis Music Corp it might very well be true...

Also the Crate GX 130c or GC130x? I think that is what it was... came out around the same time as the SS VL140 and they are supposedly identical inside . Take it for what it is worth though because I have never had either opened up to see the guts. Somebody at SLM might know if you gave them a call.
      Last edited by Firebird V; 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM.

Comment

http://www.premierguitar.com/Gear/Am...E_GX_130C.aspx

that is the crate version from what I remember.

this one is at a musicgoround...

Comment

Cool. I'm not really in need of a new amp at the moment. I just sold my Blue Voodoo 60 head and am mainly using my THD Univale or SS Tech 21 Trademark 300 head.

Comment

We have to get together one of these days cause I have been dying to try one of the thd heads out.

Comment

The THD is really neat, great for swapping out tubes. It does old-school metal like Metallica's Kill 'Em All no problem, but really needs an OD boost for heavier stuff. The built-in Hotplate is neat. It is kind of a bright amp, and really clear sounding.

Comment

cool. i will have to check it out.

Comment

Working...
                X