Cab advice for 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab advice for 5150

I just bought a 5150 EVH Signature head, but i don't have a cab yet.
    I heard the marshall 1960's are great with it, but i wonder which one?
    1960A or 1960B Vintage, what's the difference?
    I saw this cab on Ebay (Germany) : http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=140211695369
    Apparently he replaced the speakers with 2 V30's and 2 G12 T75. Would this be a good cab ?

Thanks

Yeah that would be a good cab but maybe you can find for the same price some used carvin legacy cab or maybe a framus cab. My suggestion is to keep searching at ebay if you're not in a hurry.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a G12 T75 loaded cab with a 5150. The original 5150 is great aswell!! See if you can find that one somewhere for cheap!

Comment

5150 head + 5150 cab = brutal

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell View Post
          yes, I go further than that

5150 head + 5150 cab = mandatory

Sure, you can use celestion cabs like I've done for years..NOT the same.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trussell View Post
            +1 they really designed these to sound great together and they jit the mark dead on.

5150 cabs can be had at a reasonable price too.

Comment

the 5150 sounds great through pretty much any cab as far as i'm concerned...i'd say simply go for the best deal, which should usually be a marshall 1960A/B cab seeing how often they can be found on ebay.

btw, the marshall cab you posted looks interesting...to be honest, if i had some spare cash lying around i'd probably buy it for myself...that guy's living just like 10km away from me, too.
              Last edited by Fragle; 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Are the 6505 cabs the same as the original 5150 cabs?
                "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Originally posted by bonghits View Post
                  Are the 6505 cabs the same as the original 5150 cabs?
                  Yes..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Any particular sound you're looking for? I think the 5150 sounds really good with V30s, randall or legacy cabs. I thought the 5150 cab wasnt really that spectacular for what this amp can do...just my opinion.

Comment

I ran 5150's through Marshall cabs with various celestions for well over a decade. Then a 5150 half stack fell in my lap dirt cheap..I was amazed how focused that cab was. I was able to push the gain passed 6 which was unheard of with celestion and much tighter lows with much less flatulence!

That cab is made and tuned to that amp..in hindsight, I wouldn't consider any other cab..unless I had to!

Comment

Sounds great thru a VHT FB cab too..but at the cost...Equal...just go
                        with the EVH cab...both the VHT and EVH cabs are around $1040.00

Comment

Play 'em thru the older style PEAVEY 8 ohm cabs (the old pointy logo) loaded with 4 75 watt celestians.....those older cabs RIP!!!!! Make sure they're the silver peavey logo not tan/gold like the old butcher cabs. I play mine thru 2 of them and the sound is immense! Brutallity at its best.
                          Last edited by VoiceX3; 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM. Reason: Ron pointed out a punctuation mistake. Thanks Ron!
                          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I have a 5150 head and cab and sounds great. I also have a Mesa Boogie Rectifier cab that sounds just as good if not better with the 5150. Don't forget that the BBE 422 is almost a must with this combination.

Hands down the best cab I have heard from a cab with a 5150 was 4x12 Orange Straight cab. The bottom end with the cab was so tight and brutal, that I almost bought the cab. If my buddy hadn't called dibs it would have come home with me.
                            Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

the 5150 sounds awsome thru a mesa traditional or bogner uberkab.

Comment

Working...
                              X