Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpiderValve guys...

I opened Pandora's Box this weekend!!

I've been using Line 6 stuff FOREVER. Typically, they do NOT react well to outboard pedals, particularly of the OD/Dist type. Since I got my SpiderValve, I've been a bit disappointed with the lack of a good Marshall sound that would tear siding off houses. I found one!!

I really like the Marshall "crunch" models on the SV, but it just didn't have enough...SOMETHING to get me to where I would want to use it - just not quite enough dirt & sustain. I had this problem witha real Marshall at one point in my life, so what do you do?? You throw an OD in front of the amp!

GC had Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive's on sale this weekend for $39. I figured "What the hell", and went to three GC's and finally found one (yes, THREE...). I brought it home and played around with the two Crunch models - one based on a 50 watt Plexi, and the other on a 100 watt plexi. Then I threw the SD-1 in front of it... HOLY SHIT!!! Pure tone!!! This is what I've been looking for!!!

Here's my setting on the Crunch Blue setting - IIRC...whatever the 100 Watt Plexi is... (These are clock settings - I'm going from memory, so I may have to edit this later):

Drive - 2:00 (SV OD OFF)
    Bass - 12:00
    Mid - 12:00
    Treb - 2:00
    Channel Vol - 2:00
    Modulation - none
    Delay - 9:00 (tap delay)
    Reverb - none (Noise gate ON)
    Presence - off

Boss SD-1 running into input:
    Volume - 3:00
    Tone - 12:00
    Drive - 10:00

TURN IT UP!!

Try this out!! You might like what you hear!! I'm in LOVE!! I used a very similar setting for the 50 watt model too, and got similar results. I'll try a couple setting with each model - one with the on-board OD OFF, and one ON. I messed around with them last night with the on-board OD, and it was pretty cool - I just need to find the right gain setting.

I'm kinda kicking around picking up a 2nd hand Boss OD-20 so I can use a number of different OD combos, but anyway, I just wanted to share this. I would have never thought to use an OD with a L6 product before, but since it's got a tube power section, I thought I'd give it a shot - hell for $40, why not???

Check it out!

Chris
    Last edited by chrisolson; 03-04-2008, 02:17 PM. Reason: Edited settings

So you put a pedal in front of a modelling amp? Thats the first I have heard of that! Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
      So you put a pedal in front of a modelling amp? Thats the first I have heard of that! Cool.
      Who'da thunk it??

It goes against everything logical, but it really works! I guess there's something to their whole "this IS a tube amp" claim. That's the only reason I tried it. I had nothing to lose, and it paid off dividends! Of course, YMMV...

Comment

Ive done that before w/ my flextoneII. run a tube screamer for solos. sounds killer.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
          Ive done that before w/ my flextoneII. run a tube screamer for solos. sounds killer.
          I tried it with the Duoverb...meh. But then again, the Duoverb...meh.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
            Right. I've driven Flextone III with a TS-9 and the sound grind me
            Dinky XL '96 - always stay in tune

Comment

I ran an SD-1 in front of my Korg PX-4 and also my Behringer V-Ampire. My settings for the SD-1 were exactly the same as yours too... it's a great pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                I ran an SD-1 in front of my Korg PX-4 and also my Behringer V-Ampire. My settings for the SD-1 were exactly the same as yours too... it's a great pedal.
                Yeah - if you listen to it through a clean channel, it just adds a LITTLE BIT of dirt to the sound, but hits it with more volume. I think as long as you aren't pushing much in the way of distortion through the front of the amp, it reacts very nicely - especially at volume.

The tone I'm getting is really quite vintage...early 80's for the most part. It's got a GREAT mid honk/crunch, but a lot nicer than most of the more Mesa-based models in the higher gain channels on the SpiderValve. It opens up a whole new area. I like this amp more and more each day. I was a little concerned when I first got it. I didn't think I had enough to choose from. Now I have 4 REALLY GOOD sounds, and a couple that are pretty good -- and that's just on the high gain side.

Comment

I haven't had a whole lot of chance to play the SV, but from what I have, the semi-clean tones is where it shines...The twang and blues settings finally came alive. I played a Gretsch through it the other week and man, was the tone killer.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                  X