Quick amp update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick amp update...

The SLO is gone. We've been auditioning bass players so I've been trying different amp and cab combinations out each time.

5150 III
    With a JCM 900 4x12 w/75 watt Celestions it was pretty uninspiring. With an Avatar V30 loaded 4x12 it was like the JCM 900 played through a cone. With a Port City V30 loaded 4x12 it was decent.

In a nutshell, the cleans were quite good with the JCM 900 or the Port City cab. Channel 2 with crunch was decent in the Port City. I never did find a high gain setting that worked for me with the 5150 III.

I think this amp probably needs to be mated with the G12H speakers.

So the 5150 III is the next to go buh-bye.

Suhr CAA OD50
    Cleans are great no matter what cab. Crunch is limited to using a pedal over the clean channel unless I want to tame the gain on the OD channel but that leaves no good way to do high gain tones without a pedal. I didn't like the gain tones into the JCM 900 as much as the Port City.

This amp stays a while longer.

Diezel Herbert
    I ran it into the JCM 900 at rehearsal the other night. It kicked ass. Great cleans. Channel 2 can do a very convincing mild crunch classic rock thing. And naturally it can be brutal as hell with the 3rd channel. The switchable mid contour thing is way cool. This is a seriously flexible amplifier. I haven't had a chance to run it with the Port City cab.

This amp definitely stays a while longer.

Axe-FX Ultra
    Ok, this isn't an amp per se. I've been running it into a pair of powered QSC PA cabs. This sounds really great. I haven't gotten used to the idea of not having guitar cabs though - it sounds right and even feels right but there is something in the back of my head going WTF? I want to try this with the Herbert - I think that will be a killer rig.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

What kind of music you play?

I heard a diezel Herbert through a Vader 412 two weeks ago, it sounded good but didnt blow me away. I couldnt really hear it that well through the mix, but that could have been the shitty sound guy's fault.

Comment

Me thinks I'd like the Diezel!!

The wife and I really didn't care for the 5150III at the store.

Tim's goin' crazy again..kick ass!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

cool!!! it is nice to have a lot of options, isn't it? hahahaha. i am so glad i found the tones that make me happy years ago.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I've been waiting for you to mention the Axe-FX.

I'll be watching this thread with interest!
          This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Originally posted by etohk View Post
            What kind of music you play?

I heard a diezel Herbert through a Vader 412 two weeks ago, it sounded good but didnt blow me away. I couldnt really hear it that well through the mix, but that could have been the shitty sound guy's fault.
            We play everything from classic rock to 70/80/90's metal to blues to James Brown to southern rock to Bob Marley.

If you can't hear the Herbert through a mix then it is operator error.

- Newc

Comment

Tim, you rule man! you go through boutique amps like the rest of us go through buget geer trying to fing our sound.

yeah the new EVH III cab has 20w greenbacks in them. (ok they are now 5150backs but with the same specs.) but i haven't heard it with the matching cab yet. i would imagine the head is voiced for that cab.

anyway, what exactly are you looking for in an amp, Tim?
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                anyway, what exactly are you looking for in an amp, Tim?
                The magic 2 or 3 tones

- Newc

Comment

i guess you're in the same delema our military is facing with its fighter aircraft. they want a plane that can do it all. when we all know its better suited to have multiple aircraft dedicated to one role each.

like having an amp for cleans, an amp for crunch, and an amp for hi gain tones.
                  its a tall order to get all 3 in one package. like the old saying goes... "jack of all trades, master of none."
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Get a Sig X next, Tim! I hear good things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      i guess you're in the same delema our military is facing with its fighter aircraft. they want a plane that can do it all. when we all know its better suited to have multiple aircraft dedicated to one role each.
                      Two rigs and a Switchbone: The only way to fly!

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

sweet, and I agree

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          The magic 2 or 3 tones
                          Thats a tough one really as usually they'll do 2-3 things pretty good or just one thing that kicks ass. Thats has been my problem anyway, if I fine one thing I like I have a hard time parting with it.

markd, I hear what your saying but have you tried anything out that perhaps you may like something else better? I go back an forth with my amps and hardly go to the 2203 w/ SD-1 in front but when I do its always like damn...so simple yet so cool, why do I need all this other shit

AlexL, nice rig but that may be the only way to go for YOU I get the impression Tim is not wanting to break dance on all the pedals :ROTF:
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

the 5150 III sounds the best with the evh cabs, i liked that amp for 6 months and i sold it, i used it live and it sounded pretty good but theres other amps i like better.

i have a slo 100 right now and its a cool amp, im using it with my mesa cab and i really like it boosted with my od9 for modern metal. i dont know how long i will keep it but it is a great amp.

i still have my herbert and im loving it with my uberkab, at first i wasnt really digging the amp but now i cant stop playing it.

Comment

Hey Tim, that Axe Fx Ultra is really amazing isn't it? Its the most versatile thing out there and no need for any effects pedals on the floor. The Ultra has it all! I was going to run mine thru the Uberschall for effects only but it sounds so good going just Guitar> Axe Fx Ultra> Mesa 2:90 Power Amp> Cabs that I'm going to leave it alone that way and start experimenting with tweaking it. Hope you keep yours, then I have someone to ask questions about it when need be
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X