Need some advice on next amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on next amp

Hey guys I'm getting back together with some band members and we are going to play out in small clubs. Maximun capacity probably 150 to 200 so I'm looking for an amp to buy. We play metal ,Pantera and Dream Theater STYLE so I need a good amp. I'm not looking to cop their tones or even play their music just similar style is all. I'm looking at tubes but from past experience I could never crank the amp in these smaller places so my tone would suffer. The only tube amp that sounded good was the Engls at lower volumes. So I'm looking at solid state ,{Randall ?) . Or is there a good tube amp that sounds good at moderate volumes. I really like the Mesa MK 4 but not so sure how loud it has to be to sound good. Setup is 1 guitar 1 bass ,drummer and singer.

Check out the Vox AD100 Head

I have a valveking 212 which sounds pretty good at lower volumes adn just gets better as you crank it...

It has psuedo class A to class A/B texture cotnrol which affects the power going to the power tubes so they work harder at lower volumes...

I know some people dont like the sound I personally love the openess of the amp however if you dig the engl tone from fireball or powerball amps that sound quite mdoern adn compressed you probably wouldnt like the valveking.

What about the Engl blackmore?

Seems like a good versatile amp and should do the modern prog/melodic metal stuff quite well..

Rocksolid amp's have plenty of audio clips and youtube has plenty of videos...

I personally hate the Randall solid state sound and would glady take a vox AD, valveking or number of other amps over them...

Good luck dude......

Comment

Mesa F-50 or a Mark III would do it well.

Comment

Look at amp that are around 30 watt or less that way you can crank it and still not kill everyone. Use a 4x12 with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
          Look at amp that are around 30 watt or less that way you can crank it and still not kill everyone. Use a 4x12 with it.
          Problem is that 30w tube amps are typically EL-84 power sections and as such you suffer in the chunky power chord dept. Besides, a 30w VOX is nearly as loud as a 50w F-50 head. I've yet to find an EL-84 amp that'll do metal well.

A 50w head with 6L6's and a closed back 212 is your best bet.

Comment

Small or large clubs, I say go with the 120W Bogner Uberschall Its not cheap but that amp sounds good to me no matter where I have the master volume at.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

I play the Mark IV at low volumes and it still sounds good, it just gets better as volume increases.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                I play the Mark IV at low volumes and it still sounds good, it just gets better as volume increases.
                If you're playing Dream Theater stuff definitely a Mark IV. Very versatile amp.

Comment

Working...
                X