Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff vs. BOSS Metal Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff vs. BOSS Metal Zone

What do you guys think of the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff? how does it compare to a BOSS Metal Zone? which one would you get?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

metal zone is pretty nice
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

Comment

I have never heard the Metal Muff. I do have a Metal Zone and I like it.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

A lot of people rip on the Metal Zone due to it being the "weapon of choice" for a lot of beginners who immediately scoop the mids and play Metallica riffs poorly, but I think it's still one of the best distortion pedals on the market after all these years. I don't own one personally, but I've played through them numerous times. As for the Metal Muff, it just didn't impress me at all. EHX makes some great pedals, and the MM seems to be built fine, but it doesn't offer anything new. A Jekyll & Hyde would probably be more interesting.
        sigpic

Comment

I keep a Metal Zone around to run straight into my Mesa 2:90 in case my ADA ever quits on me. It can actually be dialed in to sound pretty good if you spend some time with it.

Comment

ML-2 >> MT-2 imo.

Comment

do most of you guys play using a pedal?
              1959Epiphone les paul
              george L cables
              mxr pedals
              Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by ken361 View Post
                do most of you guys play using a pedal?
                Almost never. I'm too lazy to get the pedals out, and straight into a DSL100 1/2 stack is good enough for me.

Comment

I switch between individual stompboxes, multi-effects pedals and rack units depending on where I'm playing. My main distortion "source" is an ART Xtreme pedal or the DST-4 rack equivalent, but I also use a Boss ME-50 if I'm playing a tiny stage. Regardless of which I use, I run it into a tube power amp, and a parametric tube EQ if possible.
                  sigpic

Comment

well I heard a guy on u-tube play a metal muff and it sounded great so i went to test one out and I really liked it, freaking rocked next to the boss pedal . better high and low end, so much better then the strait line 6 valve settings. If u like metal check this out nowwww! my dxmg sounds great through it.
                    1959Epiphone les paul
                    george L cables
                    mxr pedals
                    Engl fireball 100

Comment

I used to be a diehard pedal guy - primarily because I didn't have the capability to turn the volume up in the apartment I used to live in. I played all the big gain ones, and I did like the Metal Zone. My favorite of the ones I tried was the Zoom TM-01 Tri Metal, I just tought it sounded less like someone had thrown a blanket on the cabinet...

But to be honest, looking back at the 'user reviews' I posted back then, it's very visible how aggressively I am defending my standpoint, and how much that has to do with my knowledge of how mediocre it really sounded... But for bedroom practice it beats the clean channel!

Ever since I could turn up, I've been playing into my JCM-900 - and I have a POD XT for practice and YouTube clips these days.
                      - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I was playing an Epiphone through a Metal Zone today at GC and it made me want to cry.

I like to go over there and check out different stuff every once in awhile to remind myself how good my guitars and amp sound in comparison.

Comment

I've got a Keeley Metal Zone with the Twilight zone mod. Its considerably better than the MT-2 and that was a good pedal. Far more organic sounding with better low end definition and way more output.

Its still a Metal Zone though, but the ultimate expression of it.
                          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                            I was playing an Epiphone through a Metal Zone today at GC and it made me want to cry.

I like to go over there and check out different stuff every once in awhile to remind myself how good my guitars and amp sound in comparison.
                            I thought I was the only one!

Anyway, I think the Proco Rat's one of the best low- budget pedals available... better than the Metal Muff and MUCH better than the Metal Zone....

Comment

The metal zone is a pretty good pedal. Used one to play some shows in Mexico when I didnt want to take my rack system with me. Worked out great.
                              www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Working...
                              X