new toys - phaser and wah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new toys - phaser and wah

I'm on a roll with new toys this week, I got my brand new RR1T today, and I also picked up the Morley Mark Tremonti wah and the MXR EVH Phase 90.

Both pedals totally rock! I was gonna get the Morley Bad Horsie-2 but after trying out the Tremonti I was sold...the tone is perfect for me (high gain), and it has the features of the other Morleys that I wanted (switchless, true bypass, adjustable time to disengage) PLUS it has an adjustable boost builtin, so you can just step on it and solo away, no tapdancing required

the EVH phaser is also very cool, I don't know how but it sounds a bit more ballsy than the regular phase 90..and also you get to choose between the block letter and the script letter versions by the push of a button (other than that the upcharge I paid probably went straight into Eddie's drunken pocket )

both items are very solidly built, the EVH Phase 90 has a CRAZY strong blue LED when it's activated (you could probably spot it from across the stage ) and I've done some testing and my ears can't hear any loss of tone/gain when I put both pedals in front of my ENGL Blackmore.

my tone is going in the right direction

Originally posted by axeman81 View Post
    I'm on a roll with new toys this week, I got my brand new RR1T today, and I also picked up the Morley Mark Tremonti wah and the MXR EVH Phase 90.

Both pedals totally rock! I was gonna get the Morley Bad Horsie-2 but after trying out the Tremonti I was sold...the tone is perfect for me (high gain), and it has the features of the other Morleys that I wanted (switchless, true bypass, adjustable time to disengage) PLUS it has an adjustable boost builtin, so you can just step on it and solo away, no tapdancing required

the EVH phaser is also very cool, I don't know how but it sounds a bit more ballsy than the regular phase 90..and also you get to choose between the block letter and the script letter versions by the push of a button (other than that the upcharge I paid probably went straight into Eddie's drunken pocket )

both items are very solidly built, the EVH Phase 90 has a CRAZY strong blue LED when it's activated (you could probably spot it from across the stage ) and I've done some testing and my ears can't hear any loss of tone/gain when I put both pedals in front of my ENGL Blackmore.

my tone is going in the right direction
    Sounds good but I have a question on the boost. If you are using it in front of an already overdriven amp.. how are you getting any boost? What you should get is more gain.. not more volume. It would have to be inserted into the loop for boost.

Comment

hey John, good question.
      I haven't tried the wah in the loop yet, just in front of my ENGL Blackmore, and just now, in front of my POD 2.0
      I don't know how the circuitry works exactly, but you are right on the gain bit when I'm on the high gain channel. It doesn't sound perceptively louder, but the wah sound maintains a bit of power (rather than just "thinning" the sound) when I use the adjustable boost switch.
      It sounds best around 12 o'clock IMO.

However, when I tried it with the clean channel on my amp, the volume was way louder immediately when I stepped on the wah pedal. So I guess that's a little weird!
      I haven't tried it with a PSU yet either, so I don't know if that will change the effect either.
      (still waiting for my pedaltrain and voodoo lab power)

- Rune.

Comment

A boost will cause an increase in volume on the clean channel. But on a channel that's already breaking up, that same boost is just slamming the input with more signal. So more gain, but not more volume.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I haven't tried the Tremonti wah yet, but I love my EVH Phase 90! I was just using it last night, playing along to VH I.
          Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
          X