Peavey Windsor Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Windsor Questions

Hi guys, let me start off by saying how much I enjoy this forum. I try to only post when I have something valuable to add (which means I don’t post much) but I read every day. I’ve learned more here than one could ask for.
    OK well I’m considering getting a Peavey Windsor and let me explain why. I know nothing about tubes and tube amps and have wanted to get one for a while just for the learning experience. I’m not a tone fanatic (although something is missing in mine) and am not in search of the Holy Grail although I’d like something more than what I have. These alone can’t justify spending thousands on an amp so it’s never been worth it but the Peavey is $400. Also let me also say that every sound I tend to lean towards be it emulated or a tone I like on an album always end up being Peaveys. Currently I run a GT8 to a Marshall MG series.
    Ok on to my questions:
    1) Has anyone tried the Peavey Windsor and what did you think?
    2) Will my cab (can’t remember the model, it’s the ones that come with the Marshall MG series) be an issue with this head?
    3) Thoughts on running the GT8 to this head and the 4 cable method as well as other possibilities. Is the 4 cable method even possible?
    4) Not really a question but a concern maybe someone can address. I’m worried about a clean sound. I’ve read talk about it being hard or impossible to get a good clean tone out of it (keep in mind I use the GT8). Comments/Suggestions?
    I really appreciate any help. You guys are just a huge wealth of knowledge that makes me wonder how I ever got by before this forum. Oh and also if someone was willing to walk me through setting it up if I do decided to go for it that would be wonderful. I don’t know much in this aspect and although I read a lot about it it is still hard to understand when you don’t know the lingo. Anyway thanks again.

I've read about this just today it's a class A amp. It's shipped with 2-preamp tubes 12ax7 and a single EL34 but it'll take 6l6, 6550 ect. It comes as a combo with 1x12 and the power is between 15-20 watts depending on what tube you go with.

Comment

Actually I was looking at the head version....it is three 12AX7 preamp tubes and four EL34s.

Comment

I tried one awhile back while looking for a new amp... I liked it. I would hold it against anything Marshal is churning out today. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it can be simply said by saying it sounds like a Marshall Now that said, several things turned me off from it; the construction seemed slightly flimsy, kind of like the head had a slight bit of play in it. Next, it was made in China, and Chinese Peaveys are built like crap. I also don't remember if it had an Effects Loop. How much do you have to spend? I would put forth a hundred or so more and get a JCM800 or JCM900 combo and run it into your cab.

Comment

I though you were refering to the Windsor studio that just came out.

Comment

I was in GC on Monday and they had a PV Windsor 1/2 stack on closeout. $300 for the head and $250 for the 4x12 cab. I've heard REALLy good things about the heads. I started to buy it, however, I bought an LP instead. You may want to search around a bit and you may find one cheaper than $400

Comment

I've played it and was not very impressed. The ValveKing IMO sounds better and is way more versatile for a slightly higher price.

The Windsor I played was also noisy when using any dirty tones which really killed it for me.

Comment

That seems to be what I'm finding: you either are impressed and find it great for the money or don't like it at all. As far as what I'm willing to spend - well 0-1000. I can't really justify spending more than that all though if I could I would. I do want to buy new though, I'm really opposed to ebay and the likes, I'd rather spend my money on crap then something I never get at all. I've also looked at others like the Carvin V3 and a Traynor YCS100H. Unofrtunitally I really don't know what I want or need which is why I was looking at the Peavey. The Peavey is cheap enough to learn from and not be too heart broken, however if it dosn't do what I need it could be usless too.

Comment

I would not advise a Valveking to anyone, By far the worse of Peavey's amps, and I've heard of LOTS of issues with these breaking down. Not to mention to get the most out of them, you need a new speaker and tubes, as the stock stuff is crap. Traynor makes VERY good stuff, and I would point you to them in a heart beat.

That said, the V3 and the Traynor are both higher gain amps. The Windsor is a very JCM800ish amp. You need to decide what you want first.

Comment

I'd lean toward the V3. I played one and it was decent, even though I couldn't crank it. It can do a whole lotta stuff.

Comment

A friend of mine bought one a month or so ago, I was shocked at how good it was...

Ran a Boss SD1 in the front and a Digitech DigiDelay through the loop and it sounded ace; anything from old Whitesnake to Pantera. In fact, it's probably the best balanced effects loop I've ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                        I would not advise a Valveking to anyone, By far the worse of Peavey's amps, and I've heard of LOTS of issues with these breaking down. Not to mention to get the most out of them, you need a new speaker and tubes, as the stock stuff is crap. Traynor makes VERY good stuff, and I would point you to them in a heart beat.

That said, the V3 and the Traynor are both higher gain amps. The Windsor is a very JCM800ish amp. You need to decide what you want first.
                        I know.....I lean torwards high gain but we play a mix of stuff, not always high gain. Which is why I use the GT8, I can go from AC/DC to Pantera or whatever. I'm just missing a much needed grrrrrr!

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                        A friend of mine bought one a month or so ago, I was shocked at how good it was...

Ran a Boss SD1 in the front and a Digitech DigiDelay through the loop and it sounded ace; anything from old Whitesnake to Pantera. In fact, it's probably the best balanced effects loop I've ever used.
                        The V3?

Comment

It was the 100 watt head and matching angle cab.

Edit...Peavey Windsor 100 watt head that is...

Comment

I played it and liked it, but like Troy said above, the Valveking is similar and offers more features for a slightly higher price. The Windsor definitely looks nice though.
                            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                              I would hold it against anything Marshal is churning out today. Kind of hard to explain, but I think it can be simply said by saying it sounds like a Marshall
                              Couldn't be farther from the truth. I played a Windsor right next to a Marshall Vintage Modern. the Marshall made the Windsor sound a like a total crap-ass buzzbox. The Marshall was WAY better, in every way. Hell, even the Valvekings that I've tried, I liked, better, than the Windsor. I know it's SUPPOSED to be LIKE a Marshall, but it isn't. And, yes, you can't get good clean tones out of it, either. I'd recommend the Valveking before the Windsor, obviously. At least, then, you'd get 2 channels.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X