Need some advice, buying my first stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice, buying my first stack

Well, my situation goes like this: i have a Spider II combo right now (the 150 watt one) w/ the FBV4 floorboard and all and i want to get rid of it. I finally want to cough up the cash to get a stack for gigging and i want to know how to do it right. A few questions...

1) Could i simply just buy a 2x12 or even 4x12 and use the combo amp as a head? It would be the cheapest alternative ...

2) If buying a stack is the better idea, what should I look into? i'm not really looking to spend a great deal of money or play at big venues, so where should i start to look?

Just a bit of info on what kind of sound i want ... i'm a metal player, mostly At The Gates, The Haunted, Darkest Hour, stuff like that. Just alot of distortion but still some decent clean tones.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Dude..I found a stack that is da bomb. Its in my other thread. My friend brought over his old Sunn coliseum bass amp with a 2 15" "folded horn" speaker box. We hooked up his Big Muff and Plugged in his Hondo LP copy and it rules the Earth!!!

It's plenty loud because it is a coliseum , so it is loud enough for a coliseum..and the stack comes up to my chin..so its big and loud!!

The only thing I know how to play is the intro to Crazy Train..and it almost sounds just like it.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

if you aren't looking to spend a lot of money or play big venues, why do you want a stack? i play venues on a regular basis that hold between 250-1000 people and i don't use a stack. i use a head and a couple of 1x12 cabs. you have to crank a stack in order to make it sound good. they take up a lot of space. they are heavy....

is it just to be cool? i am not being a dick, just realistic....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
        if you aren't looking to spend a lot of money or play big venues, why do you want a stack? i play venues on a regular basis that hold between 250-1000 people and i don't use a stack. i use a head and a couple of 1x12 cabs. you have to crank a stack in order to make it sound good. they take up a lot of space. they are heavy....

is it just to be cool? i am not being a dick, just realistic....
        i didn't mention anywhere that the stack had to be ridiculous ...
        i even suggested getting a 2x12 for my combo

Comment

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
          i didn't mention anywhere that the stack had to be ridiculous ...
          i even suggested getting a 2x12 for my combo

Get a stack..you only live once.

Fuggit get two!!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My advice is to spend a lot on a head, and then go used on the cab. Cabs can be had for good deals used usually. Places that let you rent it before buying it are really nice, so you can take it home and try it.

Comment

CR.."My advice is to spend a lot on a head"

Yep, that's exactly what Gov. Spitzer did..and he was happy..until now.

Comment

Alright so, head is important. got that.

what should i look for? seriously, i am retarded when it comes to amps. just need some suggestions for a head now, in about the 600$ price range i guess?

Comment

Did they give you new meds, Bill? You've been acting crazy the past few days...

To the OP:

1. Yes you can as long as the combo has a speaker out (not familiar with the Spider series).

2. Stacks are overkill for anything but 1000+ people venues. Realistically, any venue will have a PA system that you'll be piped through anyway, so volume (number of speakers) is not important. The combo is 2x12? You'll be fine. Save your money to get a better amp.
                  Scott

Comment

"Did they give you new meds, Bill? You've been acting crazy the past few days..."

No, Actually I haven't taken any..I have the flu, runnin' a 103 temp..I blame the delerium!

Broseppi Szostak, if this was 6-7 years ago I would tell you to get a 5150 half stack..amps were so fuggin' cheap back then..guitar wasn't "cool" in the mainstream. My cuz was selling a dead mint half stack in his store for $400..it sat there and collected dust for months..he could have easily doubled that price these days. This is true.

Comment

Paul, does your Spider II keep up with your drummer and the rest of the band volume-wise? If it does, then I'd suggest a closed-back 212 cab to get a tighter low end. In most clubs the sound man is going to rein you in volume-wise anyway.

But if you're playing with a band that cranks it up, then you probably will need a 100-watt tube half stack. If you're trying to go on the cheap, maybe get a used Carvin MTS 3200 head, you can get them used on ebay for $350-$400 plus shipping. Shipping and brokerage fees could be an issue for you in Montreal. Good and relatively cheap 412 cabs are also made by Carvin and Peavey, Carvins go for about $250 used, Peaveys for $250-$350, but you're looking at $100 or more for shipping on a 412 cab. If you can find one locally, so much the better. Traynor 412 cabs are pretty nice, they should be available and pretty cheap in Canada.

You're going to need another effects unit if you dump the Spider II though. The Rocktron Intellifex is a good and inexpensive unit that goes for around $125 on the bay.

If you can get by with the Spider and a 212 cab for awhile, it's probably best for you to try as many different amps as you can as you search for one that gives you the sound you want. That's different for everyone, and you can save while you look.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Dude..I found a stack that is da bomb. Its in my other thread. My friend brought over his old Sunn coliseum bass amp with a 2 15" "folded horn" speaker box. We hooked up his Big Muff and Plugged in his Hondo LP copy and it rules the Earth!!!

It's plenty loud because it is a coliseum , so it is loud enough for a coliseum..and the stack comes up to my chin..so its big and loud!!

The only thing I know how to play is the intro to Crazy Train..and it almost sounds just like it.
                        *** Ok...where's your Dad? You know you cant just come into his
                        sacred abode.. and obviously be 15! I know Horn666...and your his son!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                          Paul, does your Spider II keep up with your drummer and the rest of the band volume-wise? If it does, then I'd suggest a closed-back 212 cab to get a tighter low end. In most clubs the sound man is going to rein you in volume-wise anyway.

But if you're playing with a band that cranks it up, then you probably will need a 100-watt tube half stack. If you're trying to go on the cheap, maybe get a used Carvin MTS 3200 head, you can get them used on ebay for $350-$400 plus shipping. Shipping and brokerage fees could be an issue for you in Montreal. Good and relatively cheap 412 cabs are also made by Carvin and Peavey, Carvins go for about $250 used, Peaveys for $250-$350, but you're looking at $100 or more for shipping on a 412 cab. If you can find one locally, so much the better. Traynor 412 cabs are pretty nice, they should be available and pretty cheap in Canada.

You're going to need another effects unit if you dump the Spider II though. The Rocktron Intellifex is a good and inexpensive unit that goes for around $125 on the bay.

If you can get by with the Spider and a 212 cab for awhile, it's probably best for you to try as many different amps as you can as you search for one that gives you the sound you want. That's different for everyone, and you can save while you look.
                          hey thanks cat, appreciated.
                          i sure would like to clean up the sound, as it isn't exactly the best amp for clarity. i'll look into the closed-back 2x12, there should be a few here laying around in music shops. i think saving is the better way

Comment

I'm not positive, but I dont believe the spider combo's have a speaker out plug on them. I would check into before you buy anything.

Comment

I'd go with a combo but if your looking for a nice head look into the Peavey Valveking and see if that might be what your looking for.Personaly I like the Peavey Valveking I have the 212 combo and I like it much more than my Hot Rod 4x10 I traded in for it.It's the best for the money in my opinion. Go to a pawnshop and look for a cab,my friend got a Mesa cab for 220.00 at one.Plus the Valveking is easy on the eyes,I love it.600.00 and you have a real nice 212 combo brand new in box.

Comment

Working...
                              X