Vocal Processor for live band performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vocal Processor for live band performance

I was wonder what you guys are using for a vocal processor. Right now, we are using an Alesis Quadraverb 2. While this is working, it's probably not the best thing suited for this application. I've read about the TC HELICON - VOICEWORKS and that looks cool with harmonies and pitch correction. From what I read, it seems that the whole band can use the FX stuff but only 1 mic can be the lead on the harmonies and pitch correction--which is understandable.

Right now, our setup is 3 vocal mics into the mixer. We've got the FX unit hooked up so that all vocals are processed with whatever the current patch is on the Quadraverb.

So, for those out there, what would a nice vocal unit for a live band. I'm looking for one that has some great vocal FX, that does not muddy up the sound and then lastly, one that can give us some nice background harmonies.

thanks!

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Have you ever seen this...

There is a Vocalist 2..Always thought it would be effective for each band member who sings to have one...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

I don't know if the Vocalist is just what you're after, but it is a very cool device. When my local shop got one in, my friend there got all excited and insisted on demoing it for me. You plug guitar and mic into it, and it intelligently harmonizes based not only on the note you're singing, but also on the underlying notes you're playing.

I would've loved to have one to play with. Thing is, I don't sing
      Hail yesterday

Comment

If you have stuff like that, anyone can sing.

Do real bands use these things?

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
          If you have stuff like that, anyone can sing.

Do real bands use these things?
          Yes they do. My band this past year added a TC Helicon Voice Live. It will do up to 3 or 4 part vocal harmonies. I don't sing myself but our bass player uses it for backup vocals. Our singer can hit most of that high 80's cover stuff we do. If guitars can use a harmonizer why not vocals too?
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Guitars don't use pitch correction

Comment

I've had the Helicon for the past year or so. I still haven't had the time to really learn it. just playing with it. It is pretty neat and cool but I think the learning curve is high. Unfortunitaly I think you really need to learn it as I'm not too impressed by the presets. I'm also not sure that this is what you are looking for. It is capable of a lot but you need to know how to work it.

Comment

I did some more poking around and I found some people with video samples on YouTube using the voiceworks as well as some of the other foot pedal style boxes. The one thing that I'm finding is that these items are used mostly in single guitarist/vocalist settings, like an unplugged soloist thing. The voiceworks looks like it's got a lot of features and yeah, a huge learning curve. Maybe these pieces aren't really for me/us. I'd like to find a simple vocalist FX box, I guess somewhat like the Quadraverb that made for vocals.

joe....
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Well, there's those Digitech floor units. Can't remember the name, but there are two different models, a 300 and a 400. I'd imagine that may suit you. I tried one out, one time, and it was decent for a simple vocal effects unit.
                  I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Well, there's those Digitech floor units. Can't remember the name, but there are two different models, a 300 and a 400. I'd imagine that may suit you. I tried one out, one time, and it was decent for a simple vocal effects unit.
                    My wife sings in a band and needs a processor that she can operate onstage. I'm thinking of picking up the Digitech 300 now that they're only $200 brand new. I've heard that they can be easily "abused" due to some of the effects being pretty over-the-top, but I have to believe that there are some good reverbs and basic EQ functions in there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I dug some of the reverbs and stuff in the one I checked out. Just don't program it too "wet", and you should be good. I usually choose delays over reverbs, though.
                      I especially liked it having compression and doubling effects. Not too keen on fudging with EQs on something like this. Always feel that's better left to the soundman, out front.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
                        The one thing that I'm finding is that these items are used mostly in single guitarist/vocalist settings, like an unplugged soloist thing.
                        that's the way the Digitech Vocalist 2 was demoed to me, but we discussed different applications. If you only have one singer in your band but you want harmony vocals, this device lets you add 'em without having to teach your bassplayer to sing. And it doesn't have to be the singer's guitar plugged into the pedal. If your singer doesn't play, you could plug the guitarist into the pedal and the singer can have footswitchable control over harmonies, etc.

Another device you might want to check out (if you're not already aware of it) is Digitech's Studio Quad series. They give you 4-ins & 4-outs and the ability to set up different effects on each channel.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X