Bashing an uberschall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bashing an uberschall?

I just got this thread forwarded from a friend who frequents the Dean forums: http://www.deanguitars.com/forum/vie...eb1f460dff4f5c

Basically they're saying an Uberschall is good for hard rock, but not a metal amp. Less gain than a 5150/ENGL/Cobra and they're supposed to sound noisy, muddy, loose bass and flubbery mids...
    What's the deal here? Are they all ignorant or is there some truth to what they're telling? I was just about to buy an Uberschall, and I still plan to, just need a bit more convincing I guess

Dean Forum.... , people playing such butt ass ugly guitars should be limited on their musical gear opinions.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Bill pulls out pud & gets ready for dick smacking people.....

Comment

I'm glad they don't like the Uberschall..or know what they're talking about. That makes us all the more special..

Stupid muthafuggas..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
          I just got this thread forwarded from a friend who frequents the Dean forums
          All of the sudden, because of the source, I don't feel hurt anymore ) Not enough gain? :ROTF:
          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

i don't even run the gain full up on my Marshall DSL100. and they think the Uberschal doesn't have enough... WOW! they know everything.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Yeah I know the gain is a non-issue. Even if it has less gain than a 5150, no one uses it anyway... How do you measure that anyway?
              I guess the muddy sounds are due to not correctly tuning the amp?

Comment

Im sorry but I doubt anyone could get $3500 or more for a bad sounding amp. Some people need to be spayed and nuetered along with Bob Barkers dogs and cats.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                  I guess the muddy sounds are due to not correctly tuning the amp?
                  or playing a dean.

Comment

don't most amps tend to get muddy when you turn the gain up all the way?
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      don't most amps tend to get muddy when you turn the gain up all the way?
                      It is the only way I run my Uberschall. Anything less..even a cunt hair..compromises the tone I love. The gain on the Bogner is 100% usuable and the only way I achieve that "growl" I get. I was never able to get the gain passed half on my Recto, 5150s, Soldanos, Mesa, Ampeg VLs, and even ss Randalls without them farting and mushy up.

I keep the gain maxed at all times. In the clips I posted you can hear every note of the riffs, no matter how busy they are. I never had better pick attack and definition with any other amps..including my beloved Marshall rig.

You can't dime the gain on most amps..but I discovered that was the way I liked my JCM 800 2210s, Uber and how I run my JMP-1. The gain seems to the perfect amount for me. I also noticed that the JVM and JSX also allows me to run the gain very high and still sound tight and focused...which is why I like both of those amps as well.

I owned five 5150's..I milked those amps to death. I would say that the Uber with gain dimed is similiar to the 5150's gain on 6. The difference is that there is absolutely no sign of flatulence with the Uber..definitely not the case with the 5150, which start to sound obnoxious just before 6..and down right nasty after 6.

Honestly comapring a 5150 to a Uber is comparing a chevvete to a corvette. Only the clueless and tone deaf wouldn't know the difference.

BTW..I HATE relying on a $50 stomp box for my tone. I can not see paying big money for a amp that requires you need a cheap fuzz pedal to get a decent metal sound. If I can't get the gain/tone I love from an amp on its own..fuck that amp...next amp! .

Oh..I tried the new Kerry King Marshall..enough gain on tap..all usuable...the built in noise gain worked great!!! But the amp sounded much too thin for my liking. Nothing anyone couldn't get better with a 2203 with their favorite buzz stomp. I like the full bodied tone of the JVM much more. The built in noise gate would be better suited in that amp..IMO!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The 5150 remains to be the biggest bang for the buck ..IMO!

It's a tried and true work horse especially for metal payers.

You have to find the gear/amp that is right for you. Alot of tone is in the hands, which is another discussion going on. So a 5150 in my hands won't sound the same in any other hands. Obviously the same could be said for any amp at all.

The quest for my perfect tone lated for 30 years. Money was no issue when it came to that search. I hustled more amps than I can remember or count, that help pay for this terrible addiction. The mainstay is the Marshall double stack I bought new in '96 and my Uberschall that I bought in 2002. My Marshall sounds uncanny to Criss Oliva's tone. Anyone who hears it can not believe how closely it nails that tone..

When I needed a grab and go head when I was in Evilution with John. I bought a new 100wt DSL halfstack. It sounded like a transistor radio in comparison to his CAE+3/VHT 2150..it was for lack of a better word "pathetic". That changed when I hunted down my Bogner..it leveled that playing feild and then some.

Yet, I wasn't 100% satisfied with the Uberschall and contemplating converting the EL34s to 6L6, 6550s, or KT88. One fateful day I blew a stock JJ preamp tube and conveyed my ongoing complaint of a constant midrange honk to the tubestore. I took their advice and ordered a set of 6 matching tung sols 12ax7s. That was the key, it dramitically changed everything! It not only eliminated the "honk" at loud levelas..there was much more output and for the first time I had to back off the bass by 50%..which also givin me even more definition, clarity and cut through any mix with authority..

To this day, I have not heard a single tone live or recorded that I would trade for.

Comment

just nice to hear the VHT included in your "Best of"

Comment

Hey now guys I play Deans almost exclusivly and I have an Uber, I just posted over there as the voice of reason and you'll see my pic!

I don't know what the fuck thier problem is, but I have NO fuckin problem playin extreme metal with my Uber

And for fucks sake, can we stop cuttin up Deans?! Fuck, The USA's are amazing!!! What's so ugly??? bah

C

Comment

Guys, you have to remember one thing.....the tone you get from any amp can only be as good as you dial it in. No 2 different models will achieve the same sound with the same settings, they need to be dialled in to their "optimal" range for the sound you're looking for. This can take time and patience, and honestly reading what was written over there were either second hand descriptions or from guys who were used to completely different amps. Not that I think ENGLs or Framus or any of the others mentioned there are bad amps.....but if you dial in an Uber with the same settings it won't give you the same sound. That's just common sense, ya know?

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              Honestly comapring a 5150 to a Uber is comparing a chevvete to a corvette. Only the clueless and tone deaf wouldn't know the difference.
                              LOL! I'd say a better analogy would be say maybe a camaro to a corvette. You can always Hot Rod a camaro to get it up to par with a vette without spending as much as the vette's pricetag. But it is still a camaro. Unless you do the "Super Mods" and it becomes a Trans Am! LOL:ROTF:

Chevette was a little harsh Bill.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X