Fuzz Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Pedals

What is a good fuzz? I want something versatile that can hit those classic sounds, but also get more modern sounds. Has to be under $100, so no Z-Vex stuff Already tried the DOD, the Ibanez, and MXR Blue Box. The Dod and the Ibanez sounded bland, and I wasn't fond of the overall tone of the Blue Box.

Right now my number one choice is a Duncan Tweak Fuzz. Seems pretty versatile, and Seymour makes some GREAT stuff. I was also thinking of a Fuzz Face, but was concerned about how it would handle modern stuff. Got of consider a Big Muff of course Basically, I want something that can go from "(I can't Get no) Satisfaction", to "Paranoid", to "White Room", to a modern sounding fuzz ("Computer Blue" by Prince or an ultra modern one like "Opticon" by Orgy) which is why I'm leaning towards the Seymour Duncan.

For what it's worth, the last, ultra fuzzy tone isn't too important to me, but it would be a nice bonus. Does GC normally stock Duncan pedals? We need to drop a car off for work, and GC is a hop and a skip away, so I would like to try before I buy..

The Little Big Muff ∏ is great if you're on a budget. The rest of the fuzz boxes I've got are all more than you're looking to pay. The ZVex fuzz factory is fucking mental though!
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I like the Little Big Muff a lot. It's way better than the ZVex - I had one of those and it was the least musical fuzz I've ever owned.

One of the old Boss Fuzz's was good - I forget which model it was.

Most of those "modern" Fuzz tones are from guys using vintage gear so you can't go wrong with a Big Muff - just don't get one of those Russian ones.

My favorite all around fuzz is the Fulltone Ultimate Octave - it's more than you want to spend but it is much more versatile than any of the boxes mentioned thus far. It can do the Octavia type fuzz in adition to regular fuzz duty. These run $125-150 used but are well worth the extra scratch.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

If they stock them look at the Catalinbread fuzz pedals, the V8 Fuzztone generator or the Octavia Magus (an octavia kind of fuzz) those retail at $109 iirc.

You could also make your own http://www.buildyourownclone.com I've been meaning to look at kits from these guys for ages.

If you're prepared to spend a little bit more you'll have a pile more to choose from.

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
          If they stock them look at the Catalinbread fuzz pedals, the V8 Fuzztone generator or the Octavia Magus (an octavia kind of fuzz) those retail at $109 iirc.

You could also make your own http://www.buildyourownclone.com I've been meaning to look at kits from these guys for ages.

If you're prepared to spend a little bit more you'll have a pile more to choose from.
          I have the Catalinbread Fuzz and the Octavia Magus - they're both good but the Fulltone is better and actually cheaper than buying both pedals.

- Newc

Comment

I've not tried the Fulltone, I have to import most of the stuff I have from the US. Is the fulltone octave up and down or just up?

Comment

Just checked out the Fulltone; looks nice, but I'm not sure I need the octave up effect. I was looking at the USA Big Muff or the Little Big Muff, not the Russian one for what it's worth. And Tim, was it the Boss FZ-3 Fuzz Box? Current one is the FZ-5. I'm still heavily considering a Muff of some kind, as I nearly bought one back in November but waited as they didn't have any on stock and the Black Friday price didn't carry over to rain checks. The one thing that does concern about the EH are the power supplies, as I hear they use an odd type?

EDIT: BYOC also popped into my mind and was suggested on another board, but I want to finish butchering my DS-1 before I go about building anymore pedals

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
                I've not tried the Fulltone, I have to import most of the stuff I have from the US. Is the fulltone octave up and down or just up?
                It's an octave up like the Octavia.

- Newc

Comment

CharvelRocker - sorry I really can't remember which Boss pedal it was. I think the Little Big Muff is better anyhow. I had one of those and A/B'd it against a 70's Big Muff I had at the time and the Little Big Muff sounded just as good - I sold the 70's right after that.

- Newc

Comment

God I love fuzz pedals, I've got 3 Skreddy pedals on order as we speak, a ?Lady, Screwdriver and a Lunar Lander, you can never have enough eh?

Good luck with the search CR, remember to try every single one in the shop and at very loud volumes. Let us know what you get, you can always trawl ebay as well for them.

Comment

I've really wanted a fuzz for awhile, just haven't been in the mood to shop for one. I've done a look on ebay... really no hot deals atm sadly, probably due to the time of year. Good thing our GC has a lot of pedals, and working amps to try them on. Tuesday isn't a big day for douche bags to go to GC either, so no punk rockers to have volume wars with to hear what the hell the pedal is doing.

EDIT: And I've heard lots of good things about Skreddy, but again, more than I really wish to go on one.

Comment

Typical GC... no Duncan pedals actually in stock, and the only fuzz they had was the Big Muff. And the stupid Marshall MG it was going into was broken. What sucks is there aren't any other dealers here that sell Duncan pedals or EH stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                          Most of those "modern" Fuzz tones are from guys using vintage gear so you can't go wrong with a Big Muff - just don't get one of those Russian ones.
                          The first generation of the Sovtek/EH Big Muff π is good though. Then they changed some of the components or something, and I have to agree... not so hot.

Comment

Yeah definitely go Fulltone if you can. I have the `70 fuzz pedal and this thing rules!! It has an added mid knob so it can go modern as well as vintage. Its based off a Fuzz pedal that Eric Johnson used on his earlier work!

Comment

Ended up just getting a USA Big Muff Pi. Sounded pretty good with the MIM Tele and the Marshall MG I demo'd it through. Got it home however and found the bastages overcharged me by $3.49. Thats a gallon of gas I've spend about an hour toying with it on my amp... and I'm a bit concerned. Really muddy sounding compared to the one I tried out and it seems to be a bit like a distortion with a really run down battery. I'll try changing it before I pass judgement and take it.

Comment

Working...
                              X