Sonic Maximizer reccomendation ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Maximizer reccomendation ?

I am thinking of gettin a sonic maximizer. I run a Digitech RP14D tube processor in stereo into a DOD Dual 15 band EQ into a Mesa 20/20 amp.

Here is a couple examples of the tone I have now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWbrY...B6944D&index=6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJiEP...B6944D&index=0

We also added another guitarist so that could make a difference but I cut through the mix petty good right now. Just wondering if it can really improve my tone. Not really sure hat I am looking for but I am willing to hear different things and see what I think.

Matt

Well like you said, you don't know what you're looking for. Sonic Maximizers work well in some cases and they're cheap enough just to grab one and check out provided you can return it. What occurs to me about the kind of playing you display and sound you might be looking for is that you may have the wrong power amp. I love the 20/20, but it doesn't seem to cut or chug... probably the el84s, I dunno. Maybe a maximizer can give it some juju.

Comment

Matt..the BBE 422 is THE one!!

I use is for my extremely Criss Olivian Marshall rack 9200/JMP-1/JFX-1..adds alot of clarity, bottom and depth.

The newer was have way too much "sizzle" for my liking...the 422 has none. I heard that the son stomps sounded more musical..I never tried one though. Stay away from the sizzlin' muthafuggas.

I spoke with Barcus Berry years ago about this and confirmed this at that time when they came out with the 462.

I agree with Aron, they are cheap and popular enough to try. They are NOT a one size fits all unit..they either sound great or like total shit with various amps. I never had any luck with BBE and Mesa gear...it sounds terrible in my Uber and a Recto. But mandatory with a 5150!

Wish I had a buck ever time I said that one..
      Last edited by horns666; 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Agreed the 422 and 422A are the best ones. The newer 482 isn't bad either.

Comment

I have the pedal version of the Maximizer... $99 at GC
          Funny, it seemed to make a big difference with the Marshall DSL
          but does NOTHING with my VHT/EVH 5150 III (at least to my ears..
          It does seem to work amazingly well with Some amps, not all of them.
          GC does have a 30 day return policy!

Comment

I use a 362nr with a mesa 20/20 and it sounds great, a .little more definition and clarity. You can dial a little more bottom end if you want or go for that sizzle.Get one with a return policy as stated

Comment

422 or 422A I have had good results with both and you can pick them up for $75 bucks or less.
              I loved the 422A with a 5150 combo and a studio 22 boogie.Absolutly kills with an 800 Marshall.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                I use a 362nr with a mesa 20/20 and it sounds great, a .little more definition and clarity.
                I use the same model with ART DST-4 and Peavey Rock Master preamps going to a Carvin T100 power amp. I use it to "clean up" the high gain tones a bit, and it works well in that capacity.
                sigpic

Comment

Would the BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer, 2ch work well with a
                  Marshall JCM 800 2204 Lead series with 2x12 Avatar cab with
                  1-v30 and 1-G12H30.
                  I never used one.
                  Would it work with my head?

Comment

Thanks guys. I think u talked me into trying one. I will see what I can find on ebay and if I don't like it I can always throw it back on the bay.

Comment

I got the stomp box version a cpl months ago, and like it! The nice part about it is I can click it off when i want too etc...
                      I love admins!

Comment

I have had the 462 when it first came out. I know it wasn't the Stereo version which was what the 482? I do like mine but yeah it was hit or miss depending upon pre amo/power amp I used with it. Rockton Velocity 300 and the Piranha it smoked and sizzled (in a good way). With the other power amps like the Peavey 50/50 and Digitech 2112 it was eh...

Comment

My take on Sonic Maximizers is this... they enhance any tonal attributes that you don't like about your amp. You really have to start off with a good solid tone and enhance it with a BBE.

Comment

Has anyone used a SM along with a GT-8? Will it even be of any value given the fact that the gt-8 has onboard at least 3 eq's? I'm thinking, I will use the gt-8 only for its models, effects and cabs. but use the BBE for all EQing.

The consensus on the gt forums is not to use the gt-8's preamp eq's at all. ...meaning, dont increase bass, reduce treble, etc. Keep them all parked at 50%and use the eq's to shape the sound. And I sort of believe it too. But all these different levels of eq (global, FX1, FX2, etc.) mess up the overall eq'd sound sometimes.
                            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                              I'm thinking, I will use the gt-8 only for its models, effects and cabs. but use the BBE for all EQing.
                              The BBE Sonic Maximizer is not an EQ.
                              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X