Full circle...back to Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full circle...back to Marshall

Temporarily back to a Marshall 2210, the EVH is going to be sat in a shop in Manchester for a couple of months until somebody remembers that I dropped it off for a repair asap....

Well the Marshall isn't as bad as I thought it'd be, though it really lacks any low end. The lead tone sings, it feels like I've got lighter strings when I'm playing. I'm running it through the EVH cab, though I do still have a Marshall angle cab somewhere (must tidy up), but I am reluctant to use it if the head already sounds too bright through the EVH...I'll let you all know of course...

I went from every amp on the planet and settled on a late 80's Marshall JCM900 50w head and an old school Marshall bottom with V-30's. Volume pedal and a delay in the loop and a chorus, crybaby and a tuner out in front.
    My old Marshall is running Mullards and it kills. Its the best sound I ever had and I have had them all.
    I had a 2210. It was a great amp that I should have kept.

Comment

I just bought my first JCM 800 series Marshall head in about 13 years!
      I've been thru just about every so called "less expensive", "sounds just like", Marshall clone and when a JCM 800 poped up on Craigslist for $700. recently in my area I grabbed it!
      Man!, I just forgot how good Marshall's actually are!!
      Well!, needless to say I'm hooked again!, I've begun to sell off all my "Marshall Clone" amps to go back to the Real Thing!

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
        I just bought my first JCM 800 series Marshall head in about 13 years!
        I've been thru just about every so called "less expensive", "sounds just like", Marshall clone and when a JCM 800 poped up on Craigslist for $700. recently in my area I grabbed it!
        Man!, I just forgot how good Marshall's actually are!!
        Well!, needless to say I'm hooked again!, I've begun to sell off all my "Marshall Clone" amps to go back to the Real Thing!

What 'Marshall Clones' were you using?
        Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
        Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
        Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Comment

i hear you...after years of using stuff like engl blackmore, peavey 5150, framus cobra and others i'm back to my old trusty jcm800 2210. it doesn't have the features of modern amps like two master volumes, switchable fx loop and whatever, but it's just got TONE. it's a bit on the trebly, almost harsh side without the whole band, but in a band mix it just kills.
          i'll be getting some KT77 for it soon...curious how it will sound with these.
          the v1 preamp tube stays where it is, though. a few years back i already switched some preamp tubes back and forth trying to find a better combination, but none of the modern tubes sounds as good as that one. i have NO clue whatever it is (it's unlabeled and seems to be rather old) but it's just magic right there.
          my word of advice...if you plan on going back to the EVH, don't play the marshall too often...chances are the EVH will sound lifeless and bland after you got used to that 2210 singing tone.

Comment

yeah i've used fender and mesa most of my life and i got rid of it all. now i've got a DSL100, 1960a, and a boss SD-1 and i think the only thing that would make me happier would be a bottom cab full of greenbacks.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I've got a DSL50 and the only thing that would make me happier would be a *working* DSL50 It blew up at the last practice.

To be fair, I've had it 10 years or so, it's done about 200 gigs and plenty of practices, never let me down until now.

Comment

Can that 2210 have the bottom boosted with an EQ pedal?

Comment

Maybe it's time for me. I've always preferred amps with more pre-amp gain, like Mesa, 5150s, modelers, etc. But I just recently was thinking about the classic tones of some of my favorite players - VH, Lynch, DeMartini, Yngwie - and came to the realization that they all have one thing in common - Marshall amps!

Is there a Marshall combo that has "the sound" or do you have to get a half-stack?
                  Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

My Current live rig

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                      Can that 2210 have the bottom boosted with an EQ pedal?
                      actually it does have the bottom end given the master is up high enough.
                      granted, it won't get into rectifier territory, but then again that's just insane for most applications anyway...
                      besides, imho the 2210 has a certain full bodied quality to it's tone rather than just heaps of bass like many modern amps.
                      guess i'm in love again

Comment

I loved my two 2210 full stacks..better than my 5150s! I ran them with the BBE 422 and it worked very well with them. I traded those two 2210s in 1996 when Marshall came out with the first 9200 Monoblock w/ 5881s/ JMP-1/ JFX-1 . Clevo-John played it first and was so impressed we drove to the store to hear it. I was blown away..it sounded like a perfectly balanced and refined version of my two 2210s I ran in stereo. We always went for a VH/Criss Oliva tone at that time..and that's exactly what it does.

I never ran a stomp with my 2210s. It had the perfect amount of gain for me. I had one 2205 as well..very similiar tone as the 2210 ..almost identical on its own. But when A/B side by side..the 2210 is more full bodied at higher volume levels. I like the 2210 better than my 2203s I uses with various stomps. I don't like stomps, I want it all amp..but that's just me.

I haven't really liked any Marshall head since the 2210..The first series blue anniversary did sound good, and owned own for a short time. John and I owned JCM 900s which are pretty cool. Hhe did get his to sound nice by slammin' the front with the boost on his wireless...and with his rack delay and EQ in the loop. But it was a step back from the 800s..thinner tone, not enough gain on its own

I owned a DSL half stack..they're definitely not for me or John. Others seems to do well with 'em..and that's cool. DR uses them with his band and gets a nice tone.

However, I am impressed with the the JVM at the store..but it requires a noise gate. Ironically they added a built in noise gate on the new Kerry King Model. The KK model sounded pretty nice. I bit more usable gain than the 2210. To my it sounds similiar to a 2203 with a stomp..but I'd take the 2210 or 2203 over it anyday. There seems to be build quality issues with credible people that fuck with and build amps, I just know what sounds good. If a Marshall can do classic VH/Savatage on its own (no stomps)..I'm good to go with any style I play.

I love my Marshall I will NEVER part with it. It is very consistent, which saved hundreds of hours playing instead tweaking..making me a better player. And its Criss Oliva in box..what more could I ask for. I didn't need to go full circle because I never got tired of my tone since '96. I still enjoy playing it today as I did 12 years ago. My Uber is a whole other animal...I mean beast.

I don't give a fuck what anyone says..NOTHING sounds like a Marshall other than a Marshall. You can't go wrong with a great sounding Marshall. meaning...any Marshall that YOU sound great with!!!!

I'm down with vintage Marshall. My C. Oliva in a box, the blue 30ths, and the JVM..which is the ONLY Marshall that has grabbed my attention since.

BTW..I've tried various celestions with my 2210s. It sounded the best through a old Peavey cab with 80 watt celestions..it truly kicked ass. They're my favorite celestion with Marshalls. But I have five JCM 900 cabs worth of stock 75's..four 1960b with my rack and one 1960a (slant) with the Ubie... so.

Marshall..still love 'em.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle View Post
                          actually it does have the bottom end given the master is up high enough.
                          granted, it won't get into rectifier territory, but then again that's just insane for most applications anyway...
                          besides, imho the 2210 has a certain full bodied quality to it's tone rather than just heaps of bass like many modern amps.
                          guess i'm in love again
                          BBE 422 in the loop..set and forget. Better than any EQ I tried with mine.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

No combos don't sound the same as 1/2 stack.

Comment

I've wanted a 2210 or 2205 since I first saw them at the local stores. Only other Marshall I drool over, more, is a Jubilee.
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X