How to make the JMP-1 sound brutal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make the JMP-1 sound brutal?

I can see that its got enough gain for my needs. but how can I make my JMP-1 sound dark and brutal like a 5150? I am running Jackson's with SD's and the JMP-1 is running through a carvin ts100 into a 1x12 with a celestion v-30.

I was thinking of getting a BBE sonic maximizer to beef things up and add the high end sparkle. but dont have experience using one.

thanks
    Sam
    Sam

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
    I can see that its got enough gain for my needs. but how can I make my JMP-1 sound dark and brutal like a 5150? I am running Jackson's with SD's and the JMP-1 is running through a carvin ts100 into a 1x12 with a celestion v-30.

I was thinking of getting a BBE sonic maximizer to beef things up and add the high end sparkle. but dont have experience using one.

thanks
    Sam
    ** Have your tried the GT-8 on it's "5150" preamp setting? Then
    pick the microphone type you like the sound of the best, and then
    it's placement, and how much of it, or the direct sound you want?
    Ive played around with this for about 3 weeks, and ive got brutal!
    If i remember right...are you only playing thru a 1/12 cab? That's
    most of it (if im correct so far?) in that a 4/12 will move more air..
    and instant "Brutal" with just more speakers! I would say that a good
    4/12 cab is certainly 1/2 of your tone. 2 4/12 cabs makes your gonads
    feel tingly! LOL Anyway.. maybe you havent explored the 5150
    preamp in the BOSS yet?

Comment

I milked the shit out my JMP-1 since new in '96. Many freinds of mine have used these as well. Most of them bought the EL34 version monoclocks...sounds MUCH best with 6L6..even a cheaper Peavey 120/120 w/ 6L6s will certainly do!

I run my gain full tilt on my main patches...NO fuggin' stomps!!!

Into the first series Marshall 9200 w 5881s. A Marshall JFX-1, sounds amazing with this package, JMP-1 , BBE 422 sonic maximizer, Furman pl-8..spilt in stereo with four Masrhall Jacm 900 1960b bacbs w / stock celestion 75's...No noise gate, doesn't require one...I play loud.

Tones wise.. It is the best emulation of latter Chris Oliva I've ever heard. It perfects classic VH, ..classic thrash stuff..Death, early Soilwork (rythym and lead), latter death and Eidolon. But I rarely play that stuff. I just play my own crappy stuff..a mixed bag of death, black, power, thrash, and whatnots. These days I go for tone in the area of Nevermore/Acrh Enemy I guess.

I keep the bass shift off on the JMP-1 to get a more focused edge and tighter palm muted chug-a-longs. The 75's have a nice bottom and bite for pings and dives..and bitt scooped which works peachy with Marhsall especially when they are known for cutting mids with not much lows. I want bottom cabs in a stack, straight baffle keeps the sound at face level,.in a stack The BBE 422 does a great job thickening up the Marshall. But don't go nuts with the low control..it ables you to bloat the subs to sillyness.

I got that and am my Uberschall..I run both preamp gain at full tilt..they sound great together...but two completely different animals!

I'll be back later..I gotta poop..again.

..fuck typos.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The best way to get the JMP-1 to sound brutal is to turn it into ca$h and by a preamp that does that. I liked my JMP-1 but it didn't do brutal.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Is the 1x12 open or closed-back? If it is open, close it. That will make a HUGE difference.

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            The best way to get the JMP-1 to sound brutal is to turn it into ca$h and by a preamp that does that. I liked my JMP-1 but it didn't do brutal.
            +1

On top of that... its hard to get "brutal" with a 1 x 12 cabinet.

Comment

I play brutal..I guess it's me.

I'm brutal..

I am therefore I think..

I'll be back..I'm tellin' ya..my bellys a bubbln'..it's a bubblin' crude.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

There isa two 4 X12 cab minimum..fo maxo brutallimo..

FUCK...

..i hope that was a fart.

Comment

well, I guess then it will have to go. I cant get a 4x12 into my apartment...at least not for a while until I move to a bigger place and my kid grows up...but I like the sounds I get out of the gt-8 and TS100.

Robert, yes, I have tried the 5150 models. The gt-8 is a keeper. I was just trying to make the JMP-1 sound good at bedroom levels. It sounds nice and fat, but looks like it needs some nice eq'ing to get the good tones rolling... I tried the 4CM method too, but didnt like it. Like I said, seems like the JMP-1 will have to go.

John, I know I'm playing only through a 1x12 but something about the TS100, is different. It just sounds amazing at lower volumes.
                  Sam

Comment

Amazing... and brutal are 2 different tones. Brutal is when crap falls off the walls and the cops come. Brutal is sound pressure that cuts right through your body.
                    Brutal can kill you if you aren't careful.
                    Brutal needs at least 4 x 12" speakers in a closed back cab.
                    Amazing is something that Crazy Glue is.

Comment

that is a good definition...but when I said brutal, I am talking about tones that I hear from bands like Inflames, Arch enemy, etc. Its sort of the scooped-mids tone, but still you can hear all the notes clearly...lots of low-end, with a little sparkle of the high's. Anyway, nevermind...I like the rectifier models of the gt-8 and I think I will stick to it. JMP's out the door and onto the eBay wagon.
                      Sam

Comment

There is "heavier" sounding preamps to choose from...especially these days. BUT the JMP-1 is the only one that actually sounds like Marshall...to my ears.

It has enough gain on tap to execute anything I do. In fact I could record with the Marshall and not with the Uberschall and get by perfectly. It's in the hands..if you play "heavy" music, ..and that's your style..then so shall it be.

I had people play my Uber, my settings and all and sound pretty sedate...to the point I'm like WTF? Then I play it and my sound is back..

Comment

A guy on the craigslist offered a Rocktron prophesy as trade for my JMP-1. But when I think of the prophesy, I can only think of Megadeth and I am not a big fan of that snarly, gritty distortion...something a XXX is usually famous for. But I've heard the prophesy is a tone-monster...so who knows how it might sound in the right hands.
                          Sam

Comment

Well The prophesy is a tad heavier and darker sounding, which I guess could mean "brutal"... So is a voodoovalve, Pod pro and Triaxis.

Is a "Marshall" tone a big deal to you, if not go for it. Alot of it is in the hands...that's a huge part.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

well, I guess then it will have to go. I cant get a 4x12 into my apartment...at least not for a while until I move to a bigger place and my kid grows up...but I like the sounds I get out of the gt-8 and TS100.

Robert, yes, I have tried the 5150 models. The gt-8 is a keeper. I was just trying to make the JMP-1 sound good at bedroom levels. It sounds nice and fat, but looks like it needs some nice eq'ing to get the good tones rolling... I tried the 4CM method too, but didnt like it. Like I said, seems like the JMP-1 will have to go.

John, I know I'm playing only through a 1x12 but something about the TS100, is different. It just sounds amazing at lower volumes.
                              Sounds like your in the hunt for 2... 2/12" cabs! Certainly you could
                              make room for that? There is your 4/12 only split for easy moving.
                              In my 13' x 10' room...i have a VHT 4/12 2 Crate 2/12 Celestion cabs, and the EVH head... GT, and 2 4 space rack cases...2 chairs...
                              3 dogs... computer... You have room for 2 2/12 cabs! That alone will
                              make your Carvin sound 50% better! Move more air...Closer to BRUTAL!

Comment

Working...
                              X