No announcement yet.

New amp day: Bogner Überschall!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm..I don't mess with mine. I just have my G Major in it and its always on..I dunno.

Maybe Wiz could answer that one for you..
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
      I did notice though that when I use the FX loop as a boost, that if the FX loop is on it doesn't sound as good as when it's off. It lacks a bit of punch, as if you turned down the gain... Any clues?
      What you're describing is normal. What exactly are you running in the loop or are you just using a patch chord between the send/return jacks?

The Uber works best with line level fx (rack units) in the fx loop, if that helps. If you want to use a pedal to boost it, run thru the front input... such as a TS 808 OD with the gain down and the level up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
        What you're describing is normal. What exactly are you running in the loop or are you just using a patch chord between the send/return jacks?

The Uber works best with line level fx (rack units) in the fx loop, if that helps. If you want to use a pedal to boost it, run thru the front input... such as a TS 808 OD with the gain down and the level up.
        The Wizard of Ozz is telling it exactly like it is! I spent an entire weekend trying to make some pedals play nice with my Uber by running them through the loop and switching them in and out with a GCX Switcher and Ground Control Pro. Could not get the levels matched right with loop on vs. off no matter what I did and that included trying an Ebtech Line Level Shifter. I also had to use a Hush unit to quiet down the noise. And these were not cheap, junk pedals either. They were Fulltone, T-Rex, Guyatone. I had a Marshall head there to A/B the two for problems. The setup would work fine with the Marshall but with the Uber it was either too much noise, not enough volume/level mismatch, tone degradation, etc... So I had to abandon the pedal idea thru the Uber loop and as Bill said, I just run the G-Major thru that loop and it works perfectly. The Uber loop is designed for line level rack gear and not too friendly with instrument level pedals.
        Another thing you will run into is that if you use both the clean and distortion channels live, you will need to turn the clean channel volume WAY up. This is normal because the distortion channel is such high gain. I think I have my clean channel volume damn near max then use the master volume to set the overall level. Of course the distortion channel volume is set much lower than the clean so as to be able to use both live.
        Oh yeah, one more thing. If you aren't using any effects through the loop you can intentionally set the loop to use as a boost switch for solos by turning it off and on with the footswitch. The Uber rules!
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          If you aren't using any effects through the loop you can intentionally set the loop to use as a boost switch for solos by turning it off and on with the footswitch. The Uber rules!
          That's what I'm doing, but it doesn't sound as puncy with the FX loop on with a reduced loop volume. I don't use a patch cable to connect send & return either. According to the manual that's not needed.

Comment

That's what I'm doing, but it doesn't sound as puncy with the FX loop on with a reduced loop volume. I don't use a patch cable to connect send & return either. According to the manual that's not needed.
            Since I don't use mine this way, I'm running a G-Major thru the loop, I forget now but I thought when properly set up to be used as a boost function one of the other front knobs becomes a master controller on the distortion channel only. I'd have to go back and read the manual since its been a while. Anyway, if you wanted to run a short patch cable from the send to the return side of the loop I don't think it will harm anything if that gives you the desired result. So if thats the only way you're able to get your sound I'd try it.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Here's another vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8kD79zUHB4.
              I put it in my room with some carpet & slanted ceiling. It's a different cabinet (old matching cab of a 8100 VS) because I didn't want to haul the cab on 2 stairs by myself It does sound quite a bit different from the other cab. I used a better camera too but the sound quality still sucks.
              Uploading a vid at lower volume of Dante's Inferno as we speak!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Sven..I will PM you with my personal settings..that I require for maxim metal!!!!

But, I want you to get familiar with it first. Don't worry about tubes or anything at this time. You may love it "as is" as most people do with them...as they should!

I've owned mine since 2002 so, I really, really got to know mine. My settings has remained the same before and after I changed the preamp tubes. Except for the bass, which stays at 12 o' clock now. It used to be dimed before the tube change.

The gain on the far right will always be maxed...THAT is most important to my tone. Anything less ..seems to lose what I love about it. It's NOT a cloak for sloppy paying. The Bogner Uberschall is completely UNFORGIVING for slop no matter where the fuggin' gain is set..that's a fact.

My Marshall doesn't have the 10th the gain of the Uberschall, but Marshall, Peavey 5150s, and ect. are much more "player friendly" . The Bogner made me a better player because It requires me play with more precision with it..or it'll let you know it.

It is one of the most "Unforgiving" amps I've ever played. I can "wank" all day on a 5150, JSX, Marshall, VHT, Mesa, Randall, Line 6..you name it. and sound peachy ..not so with the Bogner.

The Uberschall crushes everything I've heard live or played to date..nothing is even close for metal. I've yet found anything close to taking it place. If I did..you guys would be the first to know!

The only amp I am curious about is a Herbert. I heard they're cool from credible sources. But, here's the thing, ..I know they're not running/using their Ubers like I do. So, I must take that into consideration. The only fair A/B test would be me on the Uber next ro them on their Herbert. If it sounds better at that time..so be it.
                Stop it Bill ! Take that VHT out of the list...you know it's unforgiving
                too!

Comment

Iced Earth - Dante's Inferno for your hearing pleasure (i hope ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irVojq-l6XQ
                  Played at very low volume, you can even hear my picking
                  I love playing this song

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                    Stop it Bill ! Take that VHT out of the list...you know it's unforgiving
                    too!
                    You know Bobby..VHTs are killer Hi fi muddafuggas..but I play like a champ with them...easier than my Uberschall..but not as forgiving as my Marshall..

Sven, you Uberinian freak..I wuv you..is that still my settings..with the gain/treble maxed?

It sounds HEAVY!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      You know Bobby..VHTs are killer Hi fi muddafuggas..but I play like a champ with them...easier than my Uberschall..but not a forgiving as my Marshall..

Sven, you Uberinian freak..I wuv you..is that still my settings..with the gain/treble maxed?

It sounds HEAVY!
                      Yes Bill, it is, and I don't think I'll dial it any other way soon
                      Note that it's not played in the same tuning as IE, but 5 half tones lower
                      Last edited by SlasZ; 04-05-2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Yes Bill, it is, and I don't think I'll dial it any other way soon
                        Note that it's not played in the same tuning as IE, but 5 half tones lower
                        Yes..I noticed that! That fuggin' amp will move your bowels...talk about the brown sound!

Yeah, My knobs are glued there too. See with the treble all the way up.. it gives just enough "cut" ..anything less just doesn't cut it. (pun intended)

On the Uber you can't rely on the presence knob for any "edge" like your typical amps. It acts more like a high mid, boost/cut control. As you know by now..

Those settings were dialed in at very LOUD band levels, where it's most important. If it sounds a little too scooped at practice levels..I kick the presence up to 12:00. But that is too much mids for my liking at loud levels, so that's the only knob I touch ('cept for my pud). I keep it from being muddy by keeping the Bass slightly cut to about 11:00. I've notice that the Uber's EQ section is extremely interactive. It looks like a simple layout..but those knobs seem to very active and go from one extreme to another...they sure make a big difference.

Cool, glad you're happy with it..it's the best "metal" amp I've ever heard, played, and owned.

OK, I gotta help the kid with homework..I hate that shit.
                        Last edited by horns666; 04-05-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Btw Bill what pickups do you use on your guitars? I currently only tried it with the standard SD's on my KV2. Do EMG's tighten up the sound a lot?

Comment

Btw Bill what pickups do you use on your guitars? I currently only tried it with the standard SD's on my KV2. Do EMG's tighten up the sound a lot?
                            I have various DiMarzios in all my guitars but my RR1 with SDs. My main guitar..My 1995 San Dimas II Koa has custom DiMarzios in it..Cleve-John liked the sound of my guitar and ordered that pickup which is a distortion I belive. He tried it in his guitar but it didn't sound the same. I don't touch the amp setting no matter what guitar I use. I prolly adjust my playing to accomodate whatever tones I'm goin' for.

Alot of people love EMGs..I'm not really a big fan to be honest. I think DiMarzios, and Duncans just sound more "alive"..so I just stick to what sounds good to me.

Honestly, It took me some time to adapt to the Bogner. Like I said it is a pretty "Unforgiving" amp to play. My touch is much more dynamic because of it. It really didn't matter how I played my Marshalls..they seemed to like any slop I threw at it. ..not so with the Bogner. When I'm having a good day and warmed up..I'm very confident with the Uber, and it sounds so fuggin' killer!

For example pinch harmonics are harder to nail on the Bogner. You must hit 'em just right to get 'em to squeal nicely. With my Marshalls and Line 6 Spider.."pings" are totally effortless..any string any note.

Comment

Played an Bogner Uber today and it rocks.It was hooked to a line 6 4x12/V30's and sweet tones for sure.Hooked it to a Marshall cab/75's and the uber didn't like it at all.Tone got very muddy.I'd like to try the Bogner cab and see what it sounds like.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X