Marshall 30 watt combo find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 30 watt combo find

Landed a 30 watt combo today at the Cincinatti guitar show.Grey tolex and wheat grill cloth.
    Pretty stout amp nice Marshall tone.Heritage G12 Celestion speaker.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Pix?

Comment

Was on HC and everyone dogs the 5881 tubes and say replace them with 6L6's.
      This one has 5881/6L6 Sovteks and 3 Marshall pre amp tubes eec83's.
      Every body says it gets too hot with the 5881's I played this one on the hard side for about 1 hr using the gain and boost and it didn't get vey hot IMO.
      It says Dagnall on one transformer and not on the other.

Comment

Let your ear to the deciding.
        There's a lot of BS on HC.

Comment

Sorry ecc 83's.Not a bad sounding amp I will have to get an extension cab.
          The clean channel sounds good as does the reverb not as good as a Fender's reverb tho'.

Comment

Is that the JTM 30? I've got a JCM 600 which is essentially the same amp as the JTM 60 and I love it. Could have been designed better, but I think it sounds great.

Comment

I used to like the old green mini 30 wt Artist head..very nice for practice/recording...cool for moderate volume levels. THose came with the matching 4 10" cabs..I think those came out around '86.

Personally my rig sounds best with the 5881 it came with..I thought that 5881's and 6L6 were the same thing. 5881 and El34 make a HUGE difference in the Marshall Monoblock for starters. Much better bottom end and edge with the 5881's..Marshall could use all the help it can in that area. EL34 are midrange ..which Marshall has an obcene abundance of already...
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Kind of what I thought Bill like it says on the tube 5881/6L6.Tons of mids for sure wouldn't want to add any.
                Have not really dialed it in yet to find the sweet spot but give me a few days I'll figure it out.Makes a good amp to play here at home.

Comment

I got a Marshall MG30x combo, nice little amp. heavy for a practice amp though.
                  Gear--
                  Jackson KVX10 Cobalt Blue Swirl
                  Wesley Tartatus V Black
                  Marshall MG30fx
                  Digitech Delay
                  Digitech Heavy Metal
                  Digitech Wah Pedal

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Kind of what I thought Bill like it says on the tube 5881/6L6.Tons of mids for sure wouldn't want to add any.
                    Have not really dialed it in yet to find the sweet spot but give me a few days I'll figure it out.Makes a good amp to play here at home.

Yes, I bet..I always prefered 6L6 or whatever besides EL34s in a Marshall. That sounds like a nice fuggin' amp.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Its a loud ass amp I cranked the piss out of it tonight for about an hour and did have to cut the gain to 5 and boost(dirt) vol to 8 and master vol to 7 to find the sweet spot.
                      No overheating problems at all like some said on HC.
                      I mean I drove it hard trying to find its limits and it rocks.It has some major Marshall sizzle for 30 watts.
                      Break up is easy And very fat tone I'll bet an extension cab would help even more.

Comment

Its a loud ass amp I cranked the piss out of it tonight for about an hour and did have to cut the gain to 5 and boost(dirt) vol to 8 and master vol to 7 to find the sweet spot.
                        No overheating problems at all like some said on HC.
                        I mean I drove it hard trying to find its limits and it rocks.It has some major Marshall sizzle for 30 watts.
                        Break up is easy And very fat tone I'll bet an extension cab would help even more.
                        Hook it up to a cab (I'm thinking 2x12), and you'll have a feel of how I live with small amps like this. Sacralige to some, but it makes things right to my ears. It's really hard to find any modern combo (that's not a modelling amp), that has a good cabinet on it's own anymore.

Edit for clarification...modeling amps don't have better cabs, it just doesn't rely on the cab for the sound. Boutique amps are another story.

Comment

I haven't hooked to any of my 4X12 cabs dont know if it woud work being 16 ohm.

Comment

Cincinatti
                            Hmmm.....never been there.....:ROTF:

Sorry, I'm having a "Ron" moment:ROTF:

I see you did know that some letter was doubled up at the end

Comment

Thanks DonP I made a big typo didn't I? I do that a lot just go to the chat area sometime.
                              I know you fill in for Ron when he's in the head.LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X