X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pics of V3 & g-flex

my new gig rig.
    Carvin V3 w/ Genz Benz g-flex 2x12 ported cab

I'm still exploring the possibilities of the V3. it's so much amp for the money.

ch 1 & 2
    any number of various gain and eq variations including modded Marshall and Recto scooped, which is what I've got them doing right now

ch 3
    cleans and all the GT-8 patches

and the g-flex is everything they say it is. heavy bottom end chunk with nice tight response.

the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

That's a great combination right there. I bet it's fun as hell to play.

Comment

looks awesome!!!
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Holy &#@#! That's amazing!!
        Sam

Comment

thanks for the kind words!

well, with going from a Vetta to this, let's just say that my tone has more depth and balls than I was used to, and it really cuts through live.

I've only scratched the surface with the amp, as it has two programmable loops (one series, one parallel), various eq settings, tonal dynamics settings, and a the tone knobs really do make a huge difference with even just a minor adjustment.

I'm quite happy with it, and my bandmates are gushing about my tone now. plus our other guitarist must like it too because after hearing mine for 2 months now, he just went out and replaced his Mesa Mk IV with a brand new Roadster.

Comment

My bandmate has one. Its a great amp. Personally.. I don't think it holds a candle to a Mesa MK IV but it sure is a fine amp. The Roadster is a fine amp too.

IMHO I don't think it sounds better or worse than a properly dialed in Vetta. It just sounds different.
            In regards to it cutting through a live and loud mix with another guitar player... I play an old slightly modded JCM900 50w head running Mullards with an old Marshall 1960b bottom loaded with V30's. My bandmate plays the V3 with a mid 80's Marshall 1960a loaded with V30's. My little 50w JCM900 cuts through a ton more mainly because the V3 has a slightly scooped modern type edge to it and the JCM900 is all midrange. When you want to cut through a mix you really depend on MIDRANGE.
            Congratz on a great choice. The V3 is one of the better amps I have heard in the last 5 years. Versatile and packed with cool features. Especially the smart loops.

Comment

yeah my Ch 2 has the mids dimed on it and I'm getting a great modded Marshall tone there. that's my favorite setting, but growing up on UFO and MSG I've always loved the Marshall tone.

as for my bud getting the Roadster now instead of the Mk IV, it was about the 4 channels instead of 2 thing I guess. but yeah his Mk IV sounds great, and he's wisely keeping it.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                yeah my Ch 2 has the mids dimed on it and I'm getting a great modded Marshall tone there. that's my favorite setting, but growing up on UFO and MSG I've always loved the Marshall tone.

as for my bud getting the Roadster now instead of the Mk IV, it was about the 4 channels instead of 2 thing I guess. but yeah his Mk IV sounds great, and he's wisely keeping it.

another nice thing about the V3 is how quiet it is. I also agree... channel 2 is great. I just recently did an 8 hour recording session and I used the V3 almost exclusively for everything from cleans to rhythm's to leads.

Comment

What are the V3's tonal characteristics compared to a recto or a marshall JCM? I hear a lot of good things about the amp from people but a lot of the clips on the internet are just awful. I still can't decide between the V3 or a rectoverb head. I like that the V3 has both a serial and parallel loop and 3 channels but still I can't really play it without going through the whole 10 day trial thing with carvin.

Comment

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the G-Flex.

It sounds like a 2x12 that I would really like, with its extra chug and sound dispersion, but my nagging cheapskate voice tells me I could get 2 Avatar 2x12s for about the same price as 1 G-Flex - so I'm struggling with what to do, and I'd be very interested to hear your opinions, as someone who has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedz22 View Post
                      What are the V3's tonal characteristics compared to a recto or a marshall JCM? I hear a lot of good things about the amp from people but a lot of the clips on the internet are just awful. I still can't decide between the V3 or a rectoverb head. I like that the V3 has both a serial and parallel loop and 3 channels but still I can't really play it without going through the whole 10 day trial thing with carvin.
                      you can shape V3's channels 1 & 2 to pretty much capture both those tones.

as I posted up top, I have my ch 1 configured for a Recto scooped high gain (plennnty of gain available here) and ch 2 set for midrange modded Marshall ala JCM 800 with a screamer on it. I'm still working on the Recto sounds, but the Marshall tone is dialled in perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                        I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on the G-Flex.

It sounds like a 2x12 that I would really like, with its extra chug and sound dispersion, but my nagging cheapskate voice tells me I could get 2 Avatar 2x12s for about the same price as 1 G-Flex - so I'm struggling with what to do, and I'd be very interested to hear your opinions, as someone who has one.
                        I love it. it has so much balls and bottom end it's not even funny. and that is without losing the tightness and higher-range clarity you want.

I was choosing btwn the same things, Avatar 2x12 w/ V30's or the G-Flex and I just figured the way the G-Flex was engineered with the baffles and ports had to create better overall tone and bass response. I had heard good things about the Avatars, but never got to hear one in person yet.

I got mine used on eBay, there are usually a few per month that you can choose from there. I'd make the same choice again in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                        X