I'm trying to look for a...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to look for a...

Half Stack type tube amp that won't cost me an insane amount I've been looking into the Carvin MTS since it is pretty cheap but I would like some opinions on amps that good for transitioning from metal to jazz easily.

That won't cost me like 2 grand for the whole half stack.
    Jackson SL-2H Soloist (Ferrari Red)
    Jackson Stars RR-J2 Rhoads (Black)
    Jackson KVX10 w/EMG 81 bridge, EMG 60 neck (Black)
    Ibanez RG470 w/OFR, Seymour Duncan SH-5 neck and bridge (Titanium Ice)
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus (Vintage Sunburst)

look at the fender super sonic, or maybe an older fender "red knob" dual showman.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      look at the fender super sonic, or maybe an older fender "red knob" dual showman.
      Would a fender have the punch and equality that I'd be looking for because I play Technical or Progressive Death Metal if I had to classify it in a genre...but I'll check it out.

Comment

How "budget" do you want to go? The Peavey ValveKing has good clean and metal tones IMO. The VK head coupled with a decent 4x12 from someone like Avatar would be under $1000 new, even less used.

The MTS is also a good option - I would probably have one of those if I didn't use a modeling rig.

Comment

Crate BV120. Great amp.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            How "budget" do you want to go? The Peavey ValveKing has good clean and metal tones IMO. The VK head coupled with a decent 4x12 from someone like Avatar would be under $1000 new, even less used.

The MTS is also a good option - I would probably have one of those if I didn't use a modeling rig.
            my "Budget" for when I go for an amp and cabinet will be like 1500$

Comment

Originally posted by jesude22 View Post
              Would a fender have the punch and equality that I'd be looking for because I play Technical or Progressive Death Metal if I had to classify it in a genre...but I'll check it out.

ahh, i was leaning more to the jazz aspect of what you asked for. i play jazz fusion and classic metal. i use rivera amps and they are pretty much hot rodded fenders (for the most part - the dirt channel is like a boogie mark series, which to me has always been a hyped up fender-esque circuit). the DEATH metal part may require you to have more sizzle, so those amps MAY not work for you, but fuck it, try out a super sonic!!! you never know....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

If you want to spend the full $1500, then I'd go for the Carvin V3 w/ cab of your choice. The head is $900 new.

I keep thinking about doing the same thing myself, but it's hard to let go of the millions of options with the modeling rig.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                  ahh, i was leaning more to the jazz aspect of what you asked for. i play jazz fusion and classic metal. i use rivera amps and they are pretty much hot rodded fenders (for the most part - the dirt channel is like a boogie mark series, which to me has always been a hyped up fender-esque circuit). the DEATH metal part may require you to have more sizzle, so those amps MAY not work for you, but fuck it, try out a super sonic!!! you never know....
                  lol true if I find a super sonic somewhere I'll try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    If you want to spend the full $1500, then I'd go for the Carvin V3 w/ cab of your choice. The head is $900 new.

I keep thinking about doing the same thing myself, but it's hard to let go of the millions of options with the modeling rig.
                    Hmm I'm going to think about it because if I do end up getting a Carvin I want to get the full set so I can get one of those tolex color things that they have haha a red amp would rule.

Comment

If you want to be taken seriously at a jazz gig, you might do better to pick a color like Silver or White... some people are like that.

Comment

hahahahaha, if he wants to be taken serious at a jazz gig, he better get a combo or a 2x12 cab....every jazz, fusion, smooth jazz gig i have done, they FLIP out if you show up with a half stack!! i usually end up using a 1x12 or a 2x10 cab on those gigs...
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Good point! Though there are degrees of being taken seriously

Comment

trust me guys I'm not going to be playing any jazz gigs anytime soon I just like having the ability of an amp that will do that as a personal preference so I know I don't have to have like 2 different amps for playing anything I already have a 1X12 100 watt combo solid state that does me some good, and I kinda like the red Carvin has because it's kinda off it's like no one would be expecting to see that no matter what your playing haha.

Comment

I'm thinking about getting the Carvin X100B reissue head.
                              699.00 Intro offer, tolex color options for 20 dollars.

Switchable 100, 50, 25 watt, several power tube options.
                              I think it would be just right with a 2x12 cab.
                              Get one, and post a review. (If I don't beat you to it).

Edit: I was looking at the V3, also. $899, but a huge amount of gain, 50/100 watt,
                              three channel. Yikes. I personally don't use THAT much gain, but that amp looks like
                              a lot of fun for the price.
                              Last edited by Cygnus X1; 03-31-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X