Great YouTube VH covers, ToneLab + PS-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great YouTube VH covers, ToneLab + PS-5

I love this guy's playing and tone. He says he is using a Vox ToneLab SE with a Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter, into his sound card. Is the PS-5 what makes this sound so great? Because if that's the secret, I'm getting one.

very excellent...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Man, I want one of those Tonelabs! Love to know his settings, cause I think he pretty much nailed it.
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

wow... very cool. nice tones too. Altho the EBMM doesnt hurt...

Comment

The tone we got with the JMP-1 12 years ago completely smoked that..not even close! I get a MUCH better authentic VH tone with my rig..not impressed whatsoever...the playing was OK, but it was dark, dull, too processed and lifeless...even Pete comes SO much closer than that..

I heard MUCH better Vh tones than that through the years..countless. You guys can do better than that without effort..other than getting Ed's feel down.

Hre's ours again..live in a basement studio..it would've been better if we used a little phase..but there's noting but a delay..I think "Dancin' captures it best
          My band Virtual Halen...again

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/doctor.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/dance.mp3

http://clevelandmetalzone.com/mp3/i'mtheone.mp3

If I wanted anything other than the Marshall rig in a head I would go with VHT or better yet Splawn.

I KNOW VH tone..I based my entire tone around it since I started playing..that was mediocre at best...fuggums.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I disagree. I think the guy with the Tonelab came closer to the VH tones. No offense.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              The tone we got with the JMP-1 12 years ago completely smoked that..not even close! I get a MUCH better authentic VH tone with my rig..not impressed whatsoever...the playing was OK, but it was dark, dull, too processed and lifeless...even Pete comes SO much closer than that..
              I got to agree. Might of been due to him running into his sound card, and needing a lot of work to get it listenable. In general, you will not be able to get it sounding usable without some serious work on it in an editor like Audacity or REAPER. I do like ToneLabs though a lot, but I don't think his tone is all there.

EDIT: Now that I've listened to your band's version of "Someone Get Me a Doctor" bill, here is my take. I like what's going on and feel you're closer to his tone overall, but it seems a bit muffled or like it has just a hair bit too much gain for the EQ settings. May well be the production though.
              Last edited by CharvelRocker; 04-04-2008, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I don't expect this guy's setup to compare with a stage-capable tubes/rack/cabs rig, but I think it's pretty impressive that he can sound as good as he does with such a simple, portable, inexpensive setup. I would be very curious to know how much his sound makes use of that pitch shifter.

I would say it has a lot of what Eddie calls "jape," which is also true of Eddie's Sammy-era sound. I have always used chorus at a very slow rate to try to get that, but I know that you can get a similar effect with a slight detune, and I wonder if he has the PS-5 turned on doing that. I know that the ToneLab has a pitch shifter on it, too, so it is interesting that he uses an external effect for that instead of what is in the ToneLab.

I was particularly interested in this because I had a ToneLab LE on the way. I just got it today, and I would sure like to know this guy's settings!

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                  I got to agree. Might of been due to him running into his sound card, and needing a lot of work to get it listenable. In general, you will not be able to get it sounding usable without some serious work on it in an editor like Audacity or REAPER. I do like ToneLabs though a lot, but I don't think his tone is all there.

EDIT: Now that I've listened to your band's version of "Someone Get Me a Doctor" bill, here is my take. I like what's going on and feel you're closer to his tone overall, but it seems a bit muffled or like it has just a hair bit too much gain for the EQ settings. May well be the production though.
                  Yeah, that was recorded by Billy Morris (Warrant) in his old basement studio LIVE..he did it free so we could promote our tribute band in '96, nothing serious..that's along time ago.

No offense take by RacerX2k..but to be honest..you can't be serious. For one, that guy is playing to the record you could hear in the background..so you are actually hearing the actual VH recording mixed with his shit. If you just isolate his tone ..it doesn't come close to the JMP-1 tone..anyone who isn't tone deaf could easily hear that..he's using even more gain than the JMP-1!

take a vote..what nails classic VH better..The JMP-1 that is actually doing a cover of Van Halen or that crap on youtube playing along to Van Halen?

Pizza is here..Later.
                  Last edited by horns666; 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I don't want to debate whether he captured 99.216% or 99.453% of Eddie's tone. I thought it sounded pretty damn good considering the setup.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
                      I love this guy's playing and tone. He says he is using a Vox ToneLab SE with a Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter, into his sound card. Is the PS-5 what makes this sound so great? Because if that's the secret, I'm getting one.
                      The PS-5 is actually adding a hell of a lot of dynamics to it. Having it set of to just the smallest offset will add a lot to the tone. Only thing, it becomes more and more processed. I would definately keep it a little down in the mix.

-Nate
                      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

OK..Maybe I'm missing the point. What exactly is THIS set up?

What is this Tonelab thingy..I just play amps.

If this is some sort of processor, if that was ..then that's pretty damn good for the 5150 era tone. I thought this was some sort of new amp or something..I'm "old school" guys..a hairy caveman with a pud for a club..

But I know Van Halen goddammit..you gotta gimme that much!

Comment

The Tonelab is another modeler preamp

Comment

I ain't no player hatin' mo fo. But Bill Z Bubz all down and shit with the muthafuggin' Van Halens and whatnots...I gots the brown sound but no brown M & Ms..ya see what I sayin'?

I gots mine..I gots mine.

what is this tonelabs biz..because this shit is fuggin' me up..it ain't right! I loves you..dats right..I love y'all you mo fos..my homios!

Bye,

Rev. B Fuggums.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              The Tonelab is another modeler preamp

Ya see..I knew it..that's what fucked me all up. you guys are fuggin' with my head and shit.

That ain't right..

Well, in that case..it sounded pretty good..but not good as my shit..now gimme some love!!!:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X