No announcement yet.

Great YouTube VH covers, ToneLab + PS-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not quite. Tone might be close, but this playing is not.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      Yeah, that was recorded by Billy Morris (Warrant) in his old basement studio LIVE..he did it free so we could promote our tribute band in '96, nothing serious..that's along time ago.

No offense take by RacerX2k..but to be honest..you can't be serious. For one, that guy is playing to the record you could hear in the background..so you are actually hearing the actual VH recording mixed with his shit. If you just isolate his tone ..it doesn't come close to the JMP-1 tone..anyone who isn't tone deaf could easily hear that..he's using even more gain than the JMP-1!

take a vote..what nails classic VH better..The JMP-1 that is actually doing a cover of Van Halen or that crap on youtube playing along to Van Halen?

Pizza is here..Later.

Well, then, I will agree to disagree......
      I'm not Ron!

Comment

dang... he's awesome. very clean playing too
        sigpic

Comment

Thats not very close in tone and he played many of the VH riffs slightly wrong and in the wrong positions. The key to nailing VH riffs is finding the exact sweet spots where Ed played them. This guy is just winging it. Too much chorus. Bill's old band absolutely nailed the VH tone and the riffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
            Well, then, I will agree to disagree......
            Well then, I agree with your agreement to disagree, and so does John G...and Pete, if he were here.

so there!!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ya see..I knew it..that's what fucked me all up. you guys are fuggin' with my head and shit.

That ain't right..

Well, in that case..it sounded pretty good..but not good as my shit..now gimme some love!!!:ROTF:
              I gotts some love! Somebody get me a Doctor was 99.993 % the bomb
              my brotha!

Comment

See ..Bobby knows what day it is..yeah, I can feels the love tonight!!!

Fuck that Youtoob fuck..fuck his ass!!!!

You want a true youtoob prodigy..here ya go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yx3o1BANKY

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Here's one he does with a backing track instead of over the album track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDJg-...eature=related

Sounds a bit too processed, but I have to agree it's pretty damn good considering the setup.

Comment

I think they are both really good but I prefer Billz's. Wish I could play like that.

Comment

Ya see..I knew it..that's what fucked me all up. you guys are fuggin' with my head and shit.

That ain't right..

Well, in that case..it sounded pretty good..but not good as my shit..now gimme some love!!!:ROTF:
                      They actually have a 12AX7 in them, so in many ways they are like old school rack units like the ADA MP1 and the JMp1, which also has a tube or two in it IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                        They actually have a 12AX7 in them, so in many ways they are like old school rack units like the ADA MP1 and the JMp1, which also has a tube or two in it IIRC.
                        Ahhhhh Gotcha. I know nothing about them really. Since I been playing Van Halen my entire musical life and in VH tribute bands..I can honestly say I could assemble an awesome VH trib from members on this forum that would kill that hack on youtube. I am a VH perfectionist..and that guy, although pretty decent isn't near my standard of "great". I've played with guys that have played VH since '78 besides myself..and completely nailed the tone, feel and vibe. Maybe most can't tell a difference..but I certainly can..within seconds.

We were Dave's first choice of being his backup band way before The Atomik Punks. But he did his DLR thing w/ John 5 that flopped and my wife had a serious spine surgery..so the band broke up at that time.

Those clips are going on 13 years old..we nailed what people are still trying to nail. This whole VH thing is very old hat for me man.

Comment

Working...
                        X