Please help me amp my modeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me amp my modeler

I am getting a Tonelab LE, and I want to amplify it in stereo, with 2 cabs that I can spread apart, for a huge sound. Here are the options I am considering. Your opinions and advice would be appreciated:

1. Pair of Mackie SRM450 speakers
    2. Pair of Avatar 2x12 cabs & a power amp
    3. Pair of G-Flex 2x12 cabs & a power amp
    4. Something I haven't thought of?

I would go with the Mackies as long as they don't color the sound. I think a modeler sounds best when plugged directly into a board. You won't have to fight to fight with the cabinets coloring your sound.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Budget?

4. Pair of full stacks (4-4x12 cabs) & pair of VHT 2150 amps

Comment

I have about $1000-1200 to spend. I also need to be able to get them into my relatively small trunk (preferably) or back seat (if necessary).
        I'll get them used if possible. There are some good deals to be had on Mackie SRM450s now that the V.2 model is out. I should note that I will also need a small mixer if I go with the Mackies, since they only have XLR ins.
        Another question, if I go with the non-powered speakers, is which power amp to get. Right now, I am thinking a used Mesa 20/20 is the way to go.

Comment

Powered speakers for home use would be great. For live.. a Carvin T100 or TS100 and a pair of 2 x 12 cabs. One open back and one closed.

Comment

Hey, good point. I forgot about that Carvin power amp.
            Going with one open back and one closed back sounds pretty interesting, too. Thanks!

Comment

I'll second John's suggestions. Don't get the 20/20 for a modeler - not enough headroom. If you want to be a major cheapass, I currently am using a solid-state Behringer A500 poweramp with my modeler. It sounds good and works fine so far.

Comment

Working...
              X