Good mics for recording guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good mics for recording guitars

I don't know if this is the right place but I could use some advice on good mics to record guitars. I heard good things about the Shure SM-57, but are there alternatives? Budget is not an issue but I won't pay over $500 for a mic if you get my meaning
    What type of mics are best for what instruments?
    Also, how many mics do you use to record an amp?
    Since I have 2 different speakers in my cab, would I need 2 mics?
    I'm probably going to buy the Motu Traveler as an audio-interface to my PC.
    Tips highly appreciated!

You can't go wrong with a SM57. With 2 mic put the 57 close to the speaker and a Condenser mic in the room.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
      You can't go wrong with a SM57. With 2 mic put the 57 close to the speaker and a Condenser mic in the room.
      Any suggestions for a condensor mic?

Comment

standard guitar mics
        dynamics:
        SM-57
        SM-58
        Senheiser MD421
        Senheiser e609

condensers:
        AKG 414
        Neuman U87

Ribbon mics:
        any one you can afford. just don't drop it.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

For dynamics, yes sm57 is a standard. A comparable choice that imo is better with less of a mid range peak is the Audix i5. Engineers have been raving about it since it debuted a few years ago, and personal experience confirms that it is an significant improvement over a 57.

Condenser mics - wow so many to choose from. What you probably need is a large capsule, high SPL mic if you're tracking loud amps. CAD and Røde have a few mid range offerings that give high end performance. If you're running into a MOTU pre, you might consider a tub mic, something like the Røde NTK. I especially like Røde because they really stand behind their products with excellent customer service and a 10 year warranty.

There are really an overwhelming number of choices. Some of the cheaper Chinese made mics can be modded to improve performance. It's really about mic placement, and that comes down to you and your ears. 2 mics on a cab or cabs creates phase issues. How the 2 or more signals work together creates a kind of EQ, canceling and reinforcing different frequencies. Once inside a computer, of course you can slide the samples around by milliseconds, changing the phase relationships.
          Good luck.

Comment

For Condenser mic I like my Oktava 2500 tube mic but I don't think they're made any more. The Oktava 319 with shock mount at MF for $149. I've have one but only usedit for Backup vocals .I've heard that you can have these modded (look at HC ).

Comment

We use an Audix i5 and AKG C1000M for recording guitars. The i5 gets a lot of praise on the Andy Sneap forum, and our vocalist (a recording engineer) took a liking to the C1000M at a studio he used to work at.
              sigpic

Comment

a 57 and a 414 always has worked wonders for me.....
                "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

It's sort of like saying 'What's a good guitar for playing metal?' - there is no right answer, but there are some objective differences between options and also some traditional choices.

Comment

We use an AKG C3000B lots of times, for miking amps, with good success.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

Neumann U87,U67 or U47 if you have that kind of $$$$.

Comment

No I won't spend $ 5000 on mics alone, I'm just trying to get started with home recording and maybe record a demo for my band, so I'll check out those Audix i5 & AKG mics for guitars. I'll probably rent mics for drums for now.
                        Thanks for the input!

Comment

Oh can anyone recommend a good home studio recording book? Recent if possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X