The truth about handling a tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth about handling a tube amp

Ok so I heard many stories about how to turn on and shut down a tube amp.
    Many people say you should turn on the amp, put it on standby for a few minutes then start playing. I can agree with that since the tubes need to warm up. But what about shutting down? Just cut the power I recon?

Any thoughts from the experienced and intelligent players?

If you just flip it off it makes a pop sound inside of the amp. I see this as a sign of somthing bad so I always turn it on standby for awhile and then turn it off.
    Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Originally posted by shreder13 View Post
      If you just flip it off it makes a pop sound inside of the amp. I see this as a sign of somthing bad so I always turn it on standby for awhile and then turn it off.
      Ok if you have separate power & standby knobs, but the Uberschall for example has a 3 way knob, on -> standby -> off. I'm sure if you go through this sequence (with a short 0.5 second delay between each transition) it shouldn't hurt the amp?
      Last edited by SlasZ; 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

It also helps to turn down the volume-standby-off.

Comment

I always heard that turning it on standby and THEN turning it off is actually worse for the amp then just turning it off immediately. So I've always turned it off immediately (without standby)
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
            I always heard that turning it on standby and THEN turning it off is actually worse for the amp then just turning it off immediately. So I've always turned it off immediately (without standby)
            why?? It either would make no difference or help how would standby hurt
            Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

You've got to repeat your chant to Legba five times while waving the chicken feet fetishes over the amp. Then turn down the amp, followed by the standby, ending with the power. The last three steps must last no longer than 15 seconds, and of course, don't stop waving the chicken feet!

Comment

In my ts100's case, I have seen that if i turn it off immediately, there's LOUD popping sounds. but I dont get those sounds if I keep it on standby for a lil while before turning off.
                Sam

Comment

I go standby for a few seconds and then off, otherwise I get pops through the speaker from the signal cutting off.
                  Scott

Comment

put it on standby, roll up your cables, turn it off. unplug the amp and roll up the power cable, unplug the speaker cable and role that up.

that is the proper way to leave the stage. gives the amp enough time to clear its shit. which will inturn help all its components to fail later rather than sooner.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Sven, you're gonna pop somethin' in the Uberschall. Turn it off just like you turn it on..just in reverse.

Put it on standy when you're done playin'...Let the amp cool down for a couple minutes then turn it off.

Like DR said..put away all your stuff while the amp is on standy..that'll give you the perfect amount of time to turn it off.

GOR...you just turn it off, like BAM, WHAM, POP..FUGGIT!!?? You never had a problem by doing that?..wow.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I go to standby for five seconds before turning the power off, and haven´t had any problems.

Comment

The following instructions start off with the 'power' switch off, and the 'standby' switch in the same direction.

To turn on your amp....First turn on the Power switch, wait 2 to 3 minutes for the tubes to warm up.
                          Then...flip the standby switch in the same direction that you did to turn on the power switch (this takes the amp OFF standby, letting full juice hit the tubes..ready to play)

To take a short 15 minute break (between rehearsals, etc.) leave the power switch ON as is...but switch the 'standby' switch in the opposite direction as the power....this is putting the amp on 'standby' while the power is still on, keeping the tubes warm, but not as hot as when playing.

To turn the amp off completely after a rehearsal, gig, etc.
                          Leave the power switch ON as when playing, switch the 'standby' in the opposite direction as the power switch (as if you're taking a short break) except this time let the amp cool down for 3 minutes or so...THEN turn the power OFF.

That's how to do it on tube amps.
                          Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
                          Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
                          Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Comment

Well ive been told by Steve Freyette (VHT owner/founder) that since the
                            tubes are so hot.. that letting them cool down on standby, and giving it
                            a good 60 seconds of fan cooling on Standby is the correct way to shut down. Makes sense to me...i turn on my tube amps...let them warm up for
                            90 seconds or so...flip OFF standby...play for 3 hours...flip ON standby...
                            let them cool for 90 seconds or so....turn off switch. I would think
                            that Steve knows a little bit about tube amps?

Comment

Ok, here's how you do it. Before you play your amp..turn the power on stand by. Let the the tubes within the amp's interior warm up for approx 20- 30 minutes to about 140 degrees. You could get an egg timer and meat thermometer to assist you know when it is safe to turn the switch from stand by to the ON position. This will allow you to safely play your guitar for double the time it took for it to warm up. Let's say you need to play your guitar/amp for two hours. This will require you to warm your amp up in exactly on half the actual playing time..in this case a one hour "warm up" is warranted. It takes that exact time to let the amp cool down slowly do that it will not "shock" the system. Let the tubes cool to body temperture..98.6 degrees before turning the amp OFF. It's like stretching before you run or get off the computer chair to go to the bathroom. Tube amps are much like the human body..they both require constant care and maintenance to live a healthy life. Make sure that your amp has a steady diet and at least 8 glasses of water per day..so that the tolex will remain supple and will not crack with age. I will keep this short so it will not be confusing. It's simple math really. The actual amp warm up time is exactly one half of actual playing time..then cool down time is the same. Remember, let the tubes heat up to 140 degrees, and cool down to 98.6 degrees. If you program yourself with good habbits such as this..your tube amp should bring you years of joy..until it's quality of life is compromised. Then, at that time it will be put down and join the many amps of years gone by..in tube amp heaven...where players like Jimi Hendrix and Keith Richards could jam on them for eternity and then some.

Amen.

Rev. B Fuggums
                              Last edited by horns666; 04-05-2008, 10:46 AM.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X