Recommend me a "light" set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a "light" set up

OK guys, I want a LIGHT set up. I am using the THD Bivalve with a Diezel 1x12 and Bogner 1x12, which sounds fantastic. Now I have two options in mind: building a pedal board to work with the bivalve or building a rack

(1) Bivalve + bunch of pedals (hughes kettner tube man, big muff pi, one analog delay, one boss delay, mxr phase 90, wahwah, volume pedal, custom audio/mxr booster)

(2) marshall jmp+mesa 20/20+g major+wah pedal+volume pedal, using a midi foot control to switch everything

I now play British pop/rock/alternative. Think of Oasis, GNR, Garbage...my rig doesn't need to sound exactly like these bands, but need to have some decent sounds to use.

Which one is better in terms of tone and weight?

Please also recommend any other option. I heard the orange rocker 30 is good, but that head is kinda heavy as well.

I use a 3-space rack with a DigiTech GSP1101 preamp and a Behringer A500 poweramp. It is really light for the versatility and power - weighs like 30 lbs. but can sound however you want at any volume.

As far as the 2 options you listed, the first one will be a lot lighter especially since you can carry the head and pedalboard separately.

Comment

Well, for tonight's gig I plan on trying my Axe-Fx Ultra into a QSC powered monitor, one cable to Front Of House PA and thats it. Doesn't get much simpler/lighter than than that We'll see how it works out. I still have my regular 1/2 stack in the trailer just in case...
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Wow - if I had one of those I would never take it to a gig. $2300 for a preamp!

Comment

Peavey SS 200 CS (100w per side stereo) weighs about 6 pounds.. rack mt)
          Two Crate 2/12 celestion loaded cabs... ADA MP-1 and a guitar and cord! Total weight about 22 lbs of 4 space rack...and 35lbs a piece on
          the crate cabs... Great huge sound with 3 pieces of gear *total cost
          for all equipment about $865.00 !

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
            Well, for tonight's gig I plan on trying my Axe-Fx Ultra into a QSC powered monitor, one cable to Front Of House PA and thats it. Doesn't get much simpler/lighter than than that We'll see how it works out. I still have my regular 1/2 stack in the trailer just in case...
            I was at the shop checking out the 12" QSCs. They sound really nice, but they are not light (~60 lbs). Since the handles are really well placed, I think I might be able to cope. I also noticed that the finish on them is really fragile. Still deliberating.
            This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Buy a Flextone III and call it good. For gigging they work great.

Comment

Originally posted by bugsbunny View Post
                OK guys, I want a LIGHT set up. I am using the THD Bivalve with a Diezel 1x12 and Bogner 1x12, which sounds fantastic. Now I have two options in mind: building a pedal board to work with the bivalve or building a rack

(1) Bivalve + bunch of pedals (hughes kettner tube man, big muff pi, one analog delay, one boss delay, mxr phase 90, wahwah, volume pedal, custom audio/mxr booster)

(2) marshall jmp+mesa 20/20+g major+wah pedal+volume pedal, using a midi foot control to switch everything
                I've got a Univalve and have been thinking of getting the Bivalve. Will you be using the effects loop on the BiValve? I know its loops is line level, so it might not play well with pedals since they're instrument level.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                  I was at the shop checking out the 12" QSCs. They sound really nice, but they are not light (~60 lbs). Since the handles are really well placed, I think I might be able to cope. I also noticed that the finish on them is really fragile. Still deliberating.
                  They're not light because they are powered. I don't think 60# for a cab and power amp is too horrible. My Mesa 4x12 cab weighs a ton and I don't even have it in a road case yet. QSC makes a cover for that monitor, looks sort of like a gig bag type deal that I need to pick up and I'll keep that QSC looking good as new
                  Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    Wow - if I had one of those I would never take it to a gig. $2300 for a preamp!
                    Well, I gigged with it for the first time last night I originally sold off a bunch of high end pedals, vintage MXR pedals, and gear such as a Pod Pro I was not using. The stuff was just sitting around, for years in the case of the Pod Pro. That generated enough money to buy the Axe-Fx Ultra. That thing was bad ass last night at the gig I ran one mic cab to the QSC powered monitor on stage and another to the PA. Switched patches on the Axe-Fx Ultra with a Behringer midi controller and that was it. The place was small so space was at a premium. The QSC powered monitor was mounted on a pole and obscured the Axe-Fx from the audience's view but a couple guitar players commented on how good the sound was not knowing they weren't listening to a "real" amp I used 10 of the factory presets with only some tweaking to the delays, reverbs, and volumes in them. This thing sounds killer!!! The rest of the band liked it too. Next week I will try it out at a larger place.
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

That thing was bad ass last night at the gig I ran one mic cab to the QSC powered monitor on stage and another to the PA. Switched patches on the Axe-Fx Ultra with a Behringer midi controller and that was it. The place was small so space was at a premium. The QSC powered monitor was mounted on a pole and obscured the Axe-Fx from the audience's view but a couple guitar players commented on how good the sound was not knowing they weren't listening to a "real" amp I used 10 of the factory presets with only some tweaking to the delays, reverbs, and volumes in them. This thing sounds killer!!! The rest of the band liked it too. Next week I will try it out at a larger place.
                      Nice to hear a positive gig report from somebody with a similar set list. I have an Axe-FX Standard, but no opportunities to gig with it yet. My band is making noises about finding a singer again, which I why I was checking out the QSCs.

Comment

Originally posted by petedz View Post
                        Nice to hear a positive gig report from somebody with a similar set list. I have an Axe-FX Standard, but no opportunities to gig with it yet. My band is making noises about finding a singer again, which I why I was checking out the QSCs.
                        I really don't know how to really tweak this thing yet. I originally was just going to use the effects along with a regular tube head. Then I read about the QSC monitor/direct to FOH stuff so tried that. I want to get into the harmonizer in that thing and use that. Some of the 80's solos in those songs are full of that stuff. I have much to learn about this thing yet but it was great to use it live as a novice and actually have it work out with no problems. Have you done any tweaking with your Axe-Fx Standard yet?
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Have you done any tweaking with your Axe-Fx Standard yet?
                          Since I'm under no pressure, I just created a test bed patch with a drive, amp, and cab block. Every time I play, I start from scratch to teach myself to use different amps. The factory patches can definitely be improved on using the damp, sag, master volume, and cab drive. Man, the Bogner sim (Euro2) kicks so much ass! The most useful thing I've learned was how to copy effects from one patch to another using page two of the recall menu. I can't program effects to save my life.

Right now, I'm running it with a tube power amp and a Mesa 4x12. I'm really curious whether the QSC monitor can hold it's own. It sounds like you had no problems. I ran my iPod through one at Sam Ass, and it sounded nice and tight with plenty of thump at high volume. I had it on the floor as a wedge, and it sounded decent no matter where I was standing. I'm really tempted.

Comment

Rudy - glad to hear the QSC Axe-FX rig is working for you. I'm using my QSC's for the Roland VG-99 right now. I did hook them up to the Axe-FX and thought they were pretty damn cool with that - I had the JBL PRX system and they were too harsh after an hour of playing.

I'm moving the Axe-FX to be part of a head and cabinet rig.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

When I first got the Axe-Fx I used it with my Mesa 2:90 power amp into two 2x12 ADA cabs. This sounded nice but when I turned off the power amp and cab sims in the Axe-Fx using the global function I thought it sounded better with them on. Anyway, I then read about the QSC monitor and direct to FOH for live use on the Axe Fx forum so went that route. The thing just sounds much better this way! I think I need to pick up a smaller rack and just mount the Axe-Fx Ultra in it along with my power conditioner. No need to carry the heavy Mesa 2:90 power amp anymore
                              Tim, how exactly are you going to run yours? 4 cable method? into what head. as I know you've been going thru several of them lately. I just lost track of what amp heads you currently have
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X