Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Stiletto love...

Hey folks,

Been awhile since I've posted here. I've FINALLY got myself in a band situation (after years of just apartment jammin'), and I couldn't be happier. It is so true that the best way to improve as a musician is to play with other folks. Having a great time, and really enjoying the type of music we're playing (mix of hard Classic stuff and newer tunes).

One of the things that I most looked forward to was running my Mesa Stiletto at volume. This is a series I Stiletto, which I bought during the infamous GC 'sale'. While I have always enjoyed how the amp sounded, there were certain issues w/ it's overall tone that I found somewhat frustrating. Specifically, certain guitars (notably those w/ Duncan JB's as well as older Duncans and Dimarzio's in my San Dimas Charvels) just sounded a bit 'shrill' at apartment volume. Too much top end that I had trouble dialing out. I tweaked the amp a bit, and was pretty happy with what I came up with... though it was not perfect. You should have seen the wacky extreme's that the knobs were set at. I had long considered re-tubing, but put that off due to $$$ issues.

Anyway... Now that I'm playing in a band context, I finally have the Mesa out of my apartment, and into our rehearsal space. Well, let me just say this.. at volume the Stiletto is f'in AWESOME! Holy crap, what a pleasant surprise! Gone is that top end 'shrilliness', doesn't matter what guitar I'm using. In fact, my main axe is currently my Les Paul w/ a JB and a '59. Sounds just perfect. I've even been using my GMW Jake for songs tuned to Eb, and JB in that sounds phenominal! You can ask Rupe how 'top endy' that guitar is... but it works great with the Stiletto. I guess it just shows that there's a reason to crank an amp to volume when you're trying one out... The tone just opens up hugely once those tubes really get cooking... gotta love it!

Here's a pic of my rig from practice this past Saturday (sorry it's a crappy cell-phone pic):

I tell you, this is really working for me. One thing I noticed... check the tone control settings. Almost everything but Gain is set near flat! I didn't even realize this til I looked at the pic. Gone are my extreme settings from before.... Nice! Totally happy... Guess I'm a Mesa fanboy now....

-Kenn

cool!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I loved my series I Stiletto...wish I still had it. And as "top-endy" as that Jake clone is, I still want it!!!

Comment

I'm distracted by the pedals...
        Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

A friend of mine and good guitar tech bought one during the GC blowout sale as well. I heard about it here on JCF, told him, we tried locating one and there was only one Stiletto Trident head in Ohio. So we drove to Cleveland and got it. After a little while he didn't think it had enough gain and since he is an authorized Mesa repair tech he ordered the parts from Mesa to mod the head. I forget the name of the mod, Hollywood mod perhaps? anyway, after the mod both he and I thought it sounded better stock so he reversed all the mods and its now back to the stock parts in it. I see you have an OCD on your board, I have one myself My friend uses a Marshall G'uvnor pedal with his. My Mesa Dual Recto is just about useless at low volume. These amps really come to life at louder volumes. The Dual Recto is also more difficult to dial in just right. Congrats on forming a band, its a blast but there are always issues to deal with as you'll soon find out.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Excellent amp.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
              A friend of mine and good guitar tech bought one during the GC blowout sale as well. I heard about it here on JCF, told him, we tried locating one and there was only one Stiletto Trident head in Ohio. So we drove to Cleveland and got it. After a little while he didn't think it had enough gain and since he is an authorized Mesa repair tech he ordered the parts from Mesa to mod the head. I forget the name of the mod, Hollywood mod perhaps? anyway, after the mod both he and I thought it sounded better stock so he reversed all the mods and its now back to the stock parts in it. I see you have an OCD on your board, I have one myself My friend uses a Marshall G'uvnor pedal with his. My Mesa Dual Recto is just about useless at low volume. These amps really come to life at louder volumes. The Dual Recto is also more difficult to dial in just right. Congrats on forming a band, its a blast but there are always issues to deal with as you'll soon find out.
              Yeah, I think that was the "Hollywood Mod". There was quite a lot of talk about that on the Boogie forum before they came out with the Series II amps. I hear that Mesa Authorized shops will still do it, but it's expensive... like $200 - $300 I think. Interesting that you preferred it stock.... Glad I never got the mod done!

I am enjoying the OCD through the clean channel of the Stiletto... What version OCD do you have? Mine is a V.1, but I hear that later models have a 'smoother' tone structure...Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what I heard. Lately I've been using the BB Preamp more for slight dirt though (that's the orange pedal next to the OCD)... It's got a 'creamy' vibe that I like...

-Kenn

Comment

Originally posted by kennslp View Post
                Yeah, I think that was the "Hollywood Mod". There was quite a lot of talk about that on the Boogie forum before they came out with the Series II amps. I hear that Mesa Authorized shops will still do it, but it's expensive... like $200 - $300 I think. Interesting that you preferred it stock.... Glad I never got the mod done!

I am enjoying the OCD through the clean channel of the Stiletto... What version OCD do you have? Mine is a V.1, but I hear that later models have a 'smoother' tone structure...Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what I heard. Lately I've been using the BB Preamp more for slight dirt though (that's the orange pedal next to the OCD)... It's got a 'creamy' vibe that I like...

-Kenn
                Hi Kenn;

Since my friend is an authorized Mesa repair tech, it didn't cost him much to do the mod. He did all the labor and saved the stock parts. The modded amp just sounded too muddy. He even tried it at a gig or two that way, came back and said he didn't like it and wanted me to listen to it. I did and I agreed it was too muddy and so back to stock it went
                The OCD I have is V.2. I know they have a V.3 out now but I have not heard that one. Right now I'm actually not using it since the Uberschall doesn't need it and neither does the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx. I used it shortly with my Dual Recto and a bit with the Vox style module in the RM100 Randall amp. I want to try it thru the new Rhoads Marshall
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hey Kenn. Cool setup!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Series 1 Stiletto's are some of the best amps I've ever played. I picked one up back when GC was blowing them out and I'm very sorry I sold it. It sounded great at volume with a boost in front.

Comment

Hey Kenn!
                      how's it going man. Long time no see.
                      glad you found a Boogie you like, I just recently scored a Rectoverb head
                      and a Mesa 2X12 recto cab and I've been loving it. (another new mesa fanboy here).
                      The Stilleo deuce in on my list to "check out".
                      Still got the Snake?
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Rudy was that the Stilleto from GC in North Olmstead..?
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Glad to hear that there is another Stiletto fan around here. If you haven't already checked out the Boogie forum (Boogie Board), you might want to cruise through it. A number of people share settings over there and it's been interesting to try other people's settings out.
                          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I recently did some session work with a Series II and loved it. I was surprised at how heavy it gets... different than a Dual Rec, but still a great amp for metal.
                            Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                              Hey Kenn!
                              how's it going man. Long time no see.
                              glad you found a Boogie you like, I just recently scored a Rectoverb head
                              and a Mesa 2X12 recto cab and I've been loving it. (another new mesa fanboy here).
                              The Stilleo deuce in on my list to "check out".
                              Still got the Snake?
                              Nick... What's up man?! Hope things are going well...Glad to see you're liking the Rectoverb... I'd be curious to hear some detailed opinions on it from ya... I've never had the opportunity to play one myself. A while back I was considering a tremoverb... a friend has one and I really liked the tones he got out of it.... And yes, I still have the snake!! She needs a set up right now, otherwise she'd most likey be the 'main' axe. Gottta get that done!

-Kenn

Comment

Working...
                              X