Rocktron Pro GAP... Any body use one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Pro GAP... Any body use one?

I saw this preamp used locally for about $100. Is that a good deal? I haven't checked it out yet, but from what I've read it is decent for a SS preamp. Anybody have any experience with this unit? I figure its cheap enough to take a chance on unless it totally sucks...

I have a G.A.P.-1 and its a great unit nice cleans and OD It has the hush circuit too.
    The cool thing it has pre and post E.Q settings and 2 gain stages.
    The active threshold is a cool + as well
    My rack is 90% rocktron and I'm very pleased with it.All 80's tone
    1.mAXE OD unit
    2.Black face Intellifex.
    2.ADA 50/50 power amp.
    4.Juice Goose power conditioner
    thru a Jackson 4X12 cab with red cones.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I may go check it out. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        I have a G.A.P.-1 and its a great unit nice cleans and OD It has the hush circuit too.
        The cool thing it has pre and post E.Q settings and 2 gain stages.
        The active threshold is a cool + as well
        My rack is 90% rocktron and I'm very pleased with it.All 80's tone
        1.mAXE OD unit
        2.Black face Intellifex.
        2.ADA 50/50 power amp.
        4.Juice Goose power conditioner
        thru a Jackson 4X12 cab with red cones.
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I had one - very easy to shape sounds with. It was replaced by a Pirahna.

Comment

Er, nevermind. I had a Pro Q and not a Pro GAP.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah I hav e 2 of these Pro Gap v. 2.0 models. Works well for 80's rock/fusion/metal. I also used it with Rocktron rack gear (Velocity 300 power amp, Pro Q, Intellifex Midi Mate, Hush etc.)

The Pro Gap Ultra was the mack daddy pre amp and as far as I am concerned I preferred it over the Voodoo Valve, Chameleon and even the Piranha which I still own. Problem is I never found a Pro Gap Ultra when I was looking for one, so I guess if I see one for sale I will probably buy it.

Comment

i used to own one a few years ago...definitely decent sounding for a SS preamp, but nothing outstanding really. i prefered it over the sansamp though...
                but well, they are cheap, so i suggest you go and try it for yourself ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                  The Pro Gap Ultra was the mack daddy pre amp and as far as I am concerned I preferred it over the Voodoo Valve, Chameleon and even the Piranha which I still own. Problem is I never found a Pro Gap Ultra when I was looking for one, so I guess if I see one for sale I will probably buy it.
                  If you've got $175, you could snag this one: GBase link

I'm not associated with the store. I just hunted on the net for a few minutes and found this listing. I hope it helps you out.
                  Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post

I'm not associated with the store. I just hunted on the net for a few minutes and found this listing. I hope it helps you out.
                    That's the one I had. But I think I paid under $100 for it.

Comment

I have a PRO GAP - great sounding units that are very flexible. They do not do high gain stuff as well as a Chameleon or Piranha, but they sound greatl with a tube power amp like my Classic 50/50. They do old Maiden-type stuff spot on with my Classic. They also do not get enough props for the clean and semi-distorted tones they produce. In some ways, they are superior to my Chameleon. Pretty easy to program, though the pre/post EQ's almost react opposite of what you might expect. You really have to dial down the pre-eq bass to get the overall bass tight.

Overall they are good deal for under $100.
                      "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

The Pro GAP is great. I had one many moons ago ad wish I still had it. Easy to get great sound out of it. For under $100, you can't go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post

eh, probably worth it, but I think that's overpriced for a unit probably only I would pay that much for, and even I won't.

Comment

Okay, I picked it up and only used the direct out so far. It seems to be REALLY noisy. Is this common? Also, it does have a brittle quality to it that I'm not really fond of. I like the way it reacts to the pick though. I guess I'm going to have to read the manual and mess around with it a bit. The Holdsworth and Lukather presets aren't all that great either...

Comment

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
                              Okay, I picked it up and only used the direct out so far. It seems to be REALLY noisy. Is this common? Also, it does have a brittle quality to it that I'm not really fond of. I like the way it reacts to the pick though. I guess I'm going to have to read the manual and mess around with it a bit. The Holdsworth and Lukather presets aren't all that great either...
                              It shouldn't be noisy - the noise reduction circuit should take care of any noise generally, but if it still noisy when you are playing, it's probably in need of a cleaning. What are you playing it through? I needed to work with some of the highs and/or mids on some patches when I used a ADA B200s to find a balance between making it cut and being too shrill. The BBE actually makes some of this a little easier to manage believe it or not. It was pretty easy to dial in to get a warmer sound though. The manual does help to better understand how it works. And yes the presets are terrible.
                              "... and is there anyone out there who can sing music beyond either the Dead/Phish/jam band of the week

or

obscure B-side GreatWhiteLionSnake demos recorded in the basement of some guy who was the girlfriend's second cousin's in-law's best man?

I swear to God, if we audition another American Idol wannabee or have another no show, I'll turn postal. I'm a donkey on the frickin' edge."

Comment

Working...
                              X