Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full vs. half stack question

hey fellas!

I'm getting a second 4x12" SS cab for my ENGL blackmore, and I was thinking, will the tone be changed other than "more of everything" ?
    More specifically, I'm concerned that the added load on the poweramp will change the tone in a negative way. Kinda like adding a second pair of speakers to your hifi system might make the poweramp wimp out on the bass/headroom. Nothing an extra poweramp won't fix though
    However, the manual states that my amp will operate at 100W with a 2x8 ohm load so I guess an extra cab shouldn't make a difference (on paper)

What are your experiences ?

- Rune.

More is better. Period.

Comment

as long as you get your impedence right it should just add more of your sound to the room. unless you have 2 different cabs then it will add a different color to your sound.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You have a 8ohm cab and your adding another that will then you'll have to set the Impedence switch to 4ohm. It should seem louder because you'll be moving more air.

Comment

Twice the speakers = four times the fun!

Comment

Your amp will be louder and thicker sounding.

Then when you go back to playing one cab it will sound kind of wimpy.

Comment

Your tone will be exatly the same to midgets, or if you kneel in front of it.
              Last edited by horns666; 04-09-2008, 11:20 PM. Reason: typos..fuggems
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Your ears will ring twice as long.

Comment

Your tone shouldn't really change unless the speakers are different (everything should just be "bigger" sounding). It may sound different to you though as it will now be blowing directly into the back of your head in addition to the back of your legs. You will most likely hear alot more high end than you did before if you are standing directly in front of it (which can be pure hell on your hearing...that's why alot of pros have dummy stacks with only the bottom row of cabs actually functional).

Comment

2 412's on the floor is the way to go......
                    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Earplugs FTW! In my experience, you will actually be able to turn down since you're moving air more efficiently.

Comment

There was just more volume, and a fuller sound, when I added a second 412. Love those greenbacks!

Comment

Here's how I roll. If I go half stacks..they must be slant cabs. In a full stack ..they must be straight cabs. The baffle on a slant cab is perfect on the floor because the top half is angled toward your head. straight cabs are perfect in a full stack for the same reason. I always thought a slant on top wasn't very practicle since the top half is pointed way up in the air. If they designed a botton cab like that (angled baffle) ..it would make much more sense IMO..
                          Last edited by horns666; 04-12-2008, 05:46 PM.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

one 4/12 VHT in front of my face (litterally 4 feet away) and 2 Crate
                            2/12 Celestions about 5 feet to my right slightly behind me...Stereo nirvana...(i mean Skid Row!

Comment

I absolutely love having 2 4x12's. One stays in my bass players trucks for gigs and one stays in the basement for rehearsal. I don't have to move shit up or down the stairs but my rack

Comment

Working...
                              X