Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb?

Hi everyone -
    Just wondering how the subway rocket reverb is? I always wanted one when it first came out but couldn't afford it at the time. How are the cleans on this? How much gain does it have on tap? Can it get 80's metal?
    How does it compare to say the express 5:25 (which BTW didn't have enough gain for me) or say the F-30?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

I had a Mesa Subway Rocket years ago....not the reverb one though. Mine had as much gain as you could possibly need...it could get pretty brutal...definitely enough gain for 80's metal.
    As for the cleans...they were OK. It cleaned up well...but the clean tone always sounded a little harsh to me...but the right guitar would probably make a lot of difference. At the time I was using a 1 hum Charvel most all the time....so having other pickup switching options could have helped.

It was a nice amp though. It put out a lot of sound for its size. It had that gig bag with a shoulder strap...so it was a great amp to take to rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by bsteff666 View Post
      I had a Mesa Subway Rocket years ago....not the reverb one though. Mine had as much gain as you could possibly need...it could get pretty brutal...definitely enough gain for 80's metal.
      As for the cleans...they were OK. It cleaned up well...but the clean tone always sounded a little harsh to me...but the right guitar would probably make a lot of difference. At the time I was using a 1 hum Charvel most all the time....so having other pickup switching options could have helped.

It was a nice amp though. It put out a lot of sound for its size. It had that gig bag with a shoulder strap...so it was a great amp to take to rehearsals.
      Thanks for the info. I'm deciding between this and the peavey valveking 112....

jeff
      ---------------------------------------------------------
      Kiesel Aries
      Charvel USA Wild Card #3
      EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
        Thanks for the info. I'm deciding between this and the peavey valveking 112....

jeff
        Mesa - no question here.

Comment

Mesa, one of my favorite combo amps. I actually used my Subway Rocket for a session recently. If you go here and click on the Pandora's Box clip:

Dan Pinto Anomalies CD Jazz Rock Fusion. Dan Pinto Anomalies CD Release

That's my Subway Rocket.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Working...
          X