Engl Blackmore... do I need one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engl Blackmore... do I need one?

I've located a Blackmore for sale with the Z5 footswitch for $1200 and I've always wanted an ENGL and have been intrigued by this particular model for a while, but I've heard mixed reviews... I'm sure it has more than enough gain for what I need, but I've heard people say that these amps sound thin and that the mid knob affects some weird frequencies and that the amp in general sounds very scooped and doesn't cut through very well... Of course I've heard the gleaming reviews as well, but this sort of has me worried, since right now I'm using a 5150 which we all know is a super thick, mid heavy amp and I'm very happy with the tone I have now...

The other option I was considering was a Single Rectifier, as I've always loved that Nevermore style signature Mesa tone that those guys get and it would be nice to have a bit of variety around my project studio... Do you guys think I'm better off going with the Recto for flavour and that I'll probably end up liking my 5150 more than the Blackmore anyways? I know Fragle on here was not really happy with his Blackmore at all...

Really I guess though, at $1200 for the head + footswitch, if I didn't like it I could easily unload it for the price I paid for it... Maybe I should buy it and at least give it a run, because I can find Rectos all day long and I'll always have that Engl itch if I don't at least try one

go got it. sounds like you want to check it out and if you can get back what you have into it then it sounds like a great way to try it for free or maybe even make a buck or two.

Comment

Buy it if you don't like it sell it.

Comment

Broseppi Dumpy, I'll tell you what you do need...a hug!

I wuv u
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think I could flip that hug and get my money back if it doesn't sound as good as my 5150

Comment

5150/w matcing cab/with a G Major/BBE422(a) in the loop is all I'd need..I can work with that!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've got a 5150 with a matching cab I just can't decide between a Single Rec or the Blackmore to go with my new Rectifier cab! I'm going to get the Blackmore though, what the hell why not. It'll be cool to have a bunch of different stuff around and I can pick up a Single Rec in a few months. I'll report back with clips within a few weeks!

Comment

Well I didn't have any luck with my Dual Recto in the early 90's..that was along time ago. But I've tried many since..we just don't get along.

I really like the 5150..so I'd assume I would go for the Engl..but that's because of my experience. Others like Jeff Loomis never sounded better with his Recto..so there ya go.

Yes, report back here..I'm very curious.

Comment

If you love the 5150 and you want a completely different tone.. get the Blackmore. If you want something that is just as heavy as the 5150 but with a more traditional death metal type tone get the Rectifier. Personally.. I think that most 5150 players and Rectifiers share the same likes and dislikes in their metal guitar tone. A Blackmore will be totally different.

Comment

I too am intrigued by the Blackmore model and I am also worried about the mixed reviews. It also seems a lot of people here (in Denmark) are trying to unload theirs to get a Powerball or Savage instead. Be sure to write a review here if you decide to pick it up!

Comment

You only live once. I'd get the Engl and see how it works out. If you don't like iy, you'll at least have satisfied that itch, and you can get your money back; if you like it, you scored!

Comment

Another thing to consider is how "easy" it is to dump an amp if you don't like it. If you get the amp for a song its easy to get rid of it. You also have to consider the liability of shipping it. Amps break in shipping sometimes. Buyers flake out, back out or worse.
                        IMHO.. if you get a Rectifier it will be another keeper. If you get a Blackmore you will be trying to sell it to get a Powerball.... so.. if you want an Engl, get a Powerball.

Comment

Dunno about that, I think the blackmore is awesome. Played it for 30mins and got a heap of great tones out of it. If I bothered to learn what the hell was up with the switching it could have been better. The only thing that held me back was the single eq, the fact I hadn't played any other engls yet, and the cheap as hell jsx I stumbled on

cheap blackmore? why not!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Another thing to consider is how "easy" it is to dump an amp if you don't like it. If you get the amp for a song its easy to get rid of it. You also have to consider the liability of shipping it. Amps break in shipping sometimes. Buyers flake out, back out or worse.
                            IMHO.. if you get a Rectifier it will be another keeper. If you get a Blackmore you will be trying to sell it to get a Powerball.... so.. if you want an Engl, get a Powerball.
                            Nah not interested in a Powerball, I always wanted a Savage and that's what the Blackmore is based on... The Powerballs are bit more "solid state" sounding... Now an SE or Invader on the other hand.... Hmmm...

Comment

Well, $1200.00 for a Blackmore is a good deal providing the shipping charge isn't crazy. My point is this...
                              Most players.. including myself.. like specific tones. Most of us like a specific clean tone and a specific heavy tone. I am discounting a lead tone because most of us just boost our rhythm tone up in volume for soloing. Maybe.. we will also add a little delay and more gain with a stomp box but thats pretty much it.
                              If a player likes a 5150 tone than they should look for amps that share similar traits unless of course they are looking for something completly different.
                              Sounds to me that the poster likes the 5150 tone and has always wanted an Engl.
                              That spells Powerball... not Blackmore.
                              A similar scenario would be the person who plays a hotrodded Marshall JCM800 2203 and has always wanted a Soldano. That spells SLO100 or Avenger, not Decatone.

Comment

Working...
                              X