keeley vs. stock (tw) SD-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeley vs. stock (tw) SD-1

this is a review for clean boost setting only.

amp was a mashall DSL 100 and 1960a cab. setting were distortion channel with gain at 2 o'clock, treb & pres at 0, bass and mid dimed, and a second run with the treb and pres at 10 o'clock and bass and mids at 2 o'clock. both with volume above 3 and all shift buttons out or off. guitar used was a floyded strat with a super distortion.

keeley - level 1-2 o'clock, gain at 0, doide in up position (silicon)

pros - much thicker sounding. way more gain and volume on tap. level at noon was pretty much as equal to the stock level dimed. when i dimed the level atificial harmonics overcompressed and actually got dropped in volume. once i backed down on the level (no higher than pionting at the LED) it was really perfect for both a lead boost and that hi gain lead sound.

cons - i ended up not wanting it use it for rhythem at all. the thicker sound was great for single notes but got lost in the mix when chording with another guitarist. made the whole guitar mix a little washy. and it was easily able to be turned up too loud for practical use.

stock - level dimed, gain off.

pros - it's thinner sound actually cut through more as a rhythem OD sound with a 2 guitar band . gave it that good marshall hi gain sound, naturally overdriving the tubes into singing distortion.

cons - not as dramatic of a difference in overall sound. (which may not be a con, really) added some "hair" but after hearing the keeley on single notes both with and without the band - hands down the keeley sounds better.

i could see many guitarist happy with using both together. stock first in the chain for hi gain rhythem and the keeley behind it for solos. either switching between the 2 for a hard rock band or adding the keeley for a super hi gain metal solo sound.

would love to hear from people on other SD-1 mods especially the anologman.
    Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 04-13-2008, 10:44 PM.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Personally I've never liked the either the DS-1 or the SD-1 in their unmodded form. I just couldn't tweak that magic sound out of either one.

Ibanez Metal Screamer all the way for me.

Thanks for the review though, I might check out a modded SD-1 now to compare to my MSL.

-Steve
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

I have a Keeley SD-1 with the GE 5 star Stacked mod and it's Killer!
      I also own a Rick Franklin modded SD-1 and it sounds Killer also, better than a vintage stock MIJ SD-1. Both are great clean boost pedals, can't speak for the Analogman modded SD-1. Had one of my TS-9's modded by him when they first can out about ten years ago and when Maxon reissued their verison on the TS-808, the OD-808, the Maxon blew it away! Never had another pedal modded by Analogman sence, probally never will.

Comment

Whats great about the SD1 and DS1 is they both can be modded in many ways. I have a self MODDED ds1 and its great. I dont have a SD1 to mod yet but I do have BD2,OD2 and a TS9 and they all are modded. The SD1 can be modded in so many ways. Im aware of 8. DS1 is the same way. I dont do stock pedals.

Comment

Loved my stock SD-1 so I saw no reason to mod or try other OD pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
            Loved my stock SD-1 so I saw no reason to mod or try other OD pedals.
            Only problem with that is once you've tried a modded SD-1 like a Keeley or Franklin, etc.
            You'll go "WHY DIDN'T I GET ONE OF THESE A LONG TIME AGO!!!!", LOL!!!!, and you'll dump your stock SD-1 pedal or get it modded too!

Comment

lol maybe - I'd rather not find out though it's easier on my wallet that way

Same reason I've never played a $1000+ amp

Comment

I've got a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive that's been modded by Keeley. It's awesome!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X