6505 or something else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6505 or something else?

I was looking at a 6505 online (I will check out one in person if I can find one)

Does anyone on here have one? How would you compare it to say a Triple Rec? (Besides possibly apples and oranges)

I want something where I can get serious crunch but very defines notes (Make sense?)

I want crunch but I don't want mud.

I was listening to a demo of the Kerry King Marshall and it seems pretty good, but it also comes with a big price tag. Which is why I'm still sort of leaning towards the 6505.

Any suggestions or comments about amp heads?
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

One thing I can tell for sure. you can get great tone at lower volumes on a 5150/6505.

Cleans are better on the Mesa's if I am not wrong.

The KK marshall it seems is too bright and nasly distortion and lacks the low-end as per someone's review. I forget who it was. It was either Bill (horns666) or John (jgcable). so, better stay away from it.
    Sam

Comment

The KK Marshall reminded me of a lesser 2203 with a good stomp in front. It lacked the low end and punch of the JVM. One nice feature is the built-in noise gate which worked extremely well..something they should have included on the JVM. The price of the KK model is insane, and nothing you couldn't dial in with the JVM..or the old Marhsall rack systems, and older 800/900 series Marhsall..which you could score much cheaper. Even tho I didn't like mine, John G and Drealand Rebel and many others do very well with their DSLs. But, you're going to require a stomp to get you the gain KK has. Which KK always did anyway. I can't see him needing one with this amp..but who knows. Kery and Jeff rely on each other for their sound. If you took one of them out of the mix..well, it would sound like one half..it would be Sla..without the Yer..

The 5150/6505 is what it is..a tried and true modern metal work horse.

Bang for the buck you can't beat a 5150 IMO! But 5150's and Marhsalls are apples to oranges. So, your ears and wallet have to decide that one.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        The KK Marshall reminded me of a lesser 2203 with a good stomp in front. It lacked the low end and punch of the JVM. One nice feature is the built-in noise gate which worked extremely well..something they should have included on the JVM. The price of the KK model is insane, and nothing you couldn't dial in with the JVM..or the old Marhsall rack systems, and older 800/900 series Marhsall..which you could score much cheaper. Even tho I didn't like mine, John G and Drealand Rebel and many others do very well with their DSLs. But, you're going to require a stomp to get you the gain KK has. Which KK always did anyway. I can't see him needing one with this amp..but who knows. Kery and Jeff rely on each other for their sound. If you took one of them out of the mix..well, it would sound like one half..it would be Sla..without the Yer..

The 5150/6505 is what it is..a tried and true modern metal work horse.

Bang for the buck you can't beat a 5150 IMO! But 5150's and Marhsalls are apples to oranges. So, your ears and wallet have to decide that one.

Thanks, that is great info! I think I'm going to go for the 6505 then. I'll be throwing it on top of a Crate cab for now, until I can afford something else.

Very cool, thank you!
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Going to be playing solos? I tried a 5150 and 6505, and just couldn't find a lead tone that I liked. The XXX was much more to my liking due to the voicing adjustments, and it seemed far more versatile.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone View Post
            Going to be playing solos? I tried a 5150 and 6505, and just couldn't find a lead tone that I liked. The XXX was much more to my liking due to the voicing adjustments, and it seemed far more versatile.
            Now comparing XXX to a 6505/5150 is indeed comparing apples and oranges. J/K

but serioulsy, there is nothing similar between these two. The XXX is more like what Bill said about the KK marshall. Bright, stiff, buzzaw type nasly distortion. the 5150/6505 is more rounded, with tons of low-end that I could not even get a hit of with the XXX. For the lead tone, I think you just need a good OD pedal with a tone knob.
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X