70's Peavey tube amp find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Peavey tube amp find

VT series Peavey Duce 6L6s pre and post gain 2X12 combo with G-12 Celestions.
    Any one have one or had one? Can you give a review please.
    Found one for a good price and just need to know a little about them.Peaveys in general are sturdy amps.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I had a VTX classic just like this:

I think mine was 80's and only 1/2 tube, I think power section, so maybe nothing in common with yours, except the name.

But it weighed about 500lbs, I remember that!!!!!!

I still have a tape I did with it, it had a cool sounding nasty fuzzed distortion, but hard to get a "classic rock" tone, but again, I think it's different than the one you are looking at.

But I'd say in general Peaveys are good quality and great value, so try it out if you can

Comment

I will if I get some gear sold this week I can snag it for $200.00 its in very cherry condition with casters too.
      He has a classic too, a bandit 65 and an artist series 1X12 combo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        VT series Peavey Duce 6L6s pre and post gain 2X12 combo with G-12 Celestions.
        Any one have one or had one? Can you give a review please.
        Found one for a good price and just need to know a little about them.Peaveys in general are sturdy amps.
        If it's a Peavey from the`70's, they all have a Tube power amp section with a Solid State pre amp. Besides that, they still sounded pretty cool! Had one of those old Rockmaster heads from the`70's that was my first large tube amp. The head was the size of an old Ampeg SVT!!! and almost as heavy! It Came with the original 2x15 + horn loaded Peavey guitar cab!! Never owned an amp that big sence and never will!!!LOL!!!

Comment

I'll check it closer when I go back.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
            If it's a Peavey from the`70's, they all have a Tube power amp section with a Solid State pre amp. Besides that, they still sounded pretty cool! Had one of those old Rockmaster heads from the`70's that was my first large tube amp. The head was the size of an old Ampeg SVT!!! and almost as heavy! It Came with the original 2x15 + horn loaded Peavey guitar cab!! Never owned an amp that big sence and never will!!!LOL!!!
            Hey! That head was my first Peavey and also my first tube head too!

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
              Hey! That head was my first Peavey and also my first tube head too!
              They actually made two versions of that head at different time periods.
              The one from the`70's was huge and the "Rockmaster" head they reissued around`84 or`85 (I also had one of these in`85) looked completely different. It was a much smaller head, about the size of a small (short) chassy Mesa Mark series amp head.

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                I had a VTX classic just like this:

I think mine was 80's and only 1/2 tube, I think power section, so maybe nothing in common with yours, except the name.

But it weighed about 500lbs, I remember that!!!!!!

I still have a tape I did with it, it had a cool sounding nasty fuzzed distortion, but hard to get a "classic rock" tone, but again, I think it's different than the one you are looking at.

But I'd say in general Peaveys are good quality and great value, so try it out if you can
                My First tube amp!

I was a stupid kid and saw tubes in the back and thought Great! a tube amp. I didn't realize that the front end was all SS.

But I have fond memories of this amp. I remember it sounding good (we are mid-late 1980s). You could get cool tones with the phaser acting as a para-eq or a notch filter. Reverb seemed good. Tube Saturation. Very good instruction manual as well, which seems to be lacking these days.

I've seen them at GC for $199, but alas, I have too many amps already to re-live my childhood

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

But I have fond memories of this amp. I remember it sounding good (we are mid-late 1980s). You could get cool tones with the phaser acting as a para-eq or a notch filter. Reverb seemed good. Tube Saturation.
                  Yeah, I have some tapes of stuff I did on it, and it had a good clean and really cool evil heavy sound, the problem was it couldn't get that classic rock tone, I ended up using my crate vintage club most.

I actually gave the Peavey away, I was going to drag it on foot to Daddys Junky, were they would have probably given me $40 after bickering. it was a hot day, and some kid (I live near Berklee music school) goes "Wow what's that?" I said "It's yours" and went drinking

Comment

That was my first amp as well. It was so long ago and I wasnt very savvy about things back then. I do remember having to run some type of overdrive in front of it.
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

I'm going to pass on this one for now.If anybody wants it I'll put you in contact with the seller just P.M. me.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
                        They actually made two versions of that head at different time periods.
                        The one from the`70's was huge and the "Rockmaster" head they reissued around`84 or`85 (I also had one of these in`85) looked completely different. It was a much smaller head, about the size of a small (short) chassy Mesa Mark series amp head.
                        ahh. ok well then this was the one i had... lol.

it looked like this one here.

Last edited by Firebird V; 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                          ahh. ok well then this was the one i had... lol.

it looked like this one here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-tube-amp...QQcmdZViewItem
                          Yeah, that's the`80's model! I bought one in mint condition at a pawn shop for about $100. in`85. I bought it as a quick and cheap replacement for a Marshall Super Lead that had gotten ripped off. I think I used a Boss Heavy Metal pedal into the front of it. Didn't have it very long tho, traded in towards a Marshall but did use it for one gig with the band I was in at the time.

Comment

Yeah I got mine at Sam Ash for like $200 on closeout. It was a pretty good amp but needed a pedal to slam the front end. I liked it though as it did have a nice thick tone to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X