New to me amp day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me amp day

Scored a very minty Ampeg VL1002 half stack from JCFer fuel 0707 (John) today.
    Loaded with GT EL 34's He was nice enough to give me the original 6550's too.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Yeah, those Ampeg VL1002 are awesome amps. Lee is da man. I used to own a half stack a few years back and I've been kicking myself ever since for selling it. Loved the "Marshall on steriods" sound of it. Congrats man!
    "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Its a bear thats for sure.Haven't tweaked it all out yet but I'm a happy camper.
      The clean channel is super nice and the dirt channel roars.
      A freind of mine has two full stacks so I tried them out and had a good idea they had the punch I was looking for.
      Two full stacks pumping is a great feeling.

Comment

Yeah..I bought two of those fuckers when they came out. Did ya know Zakk Wylde endorsed those!! I had one with 6550s and one with EL34s. The one with EL34's literally started on fire..there was extra loose tolex just tucked in there and that did it. I'm sure yours is cool tho..since that amp came out around 1990. Light up logo..key ignition built in attenuator..pretty cool amps!

Those Ampeg cabs are nice. I bought four at that time. They came with celestion 75s or Vin 30's for a hundred buck more. I A/B them side by side LOUD and went for the 75s!! John still has two of them..they soujnded pretty good..I liked the 6550s better..but you could put either in there!

Congrats!
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm going to see which Celestions it has tomorrow.I did check the tolex inside and all is fine.Its stout as all get out tone wise.The bag over the reverb tank cover hangs pretty close to the tubes I'll remedy that tomorrow as well.

Comment

It has 75's in the cab BTW.
            I will try the 6500's just to see what they sound like.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              It has 75's in the cab BTW.
              I will try the 6500's just to see what they sound like.
              That was by far my favorite combo with the Ampeg Lee Jackson VL1002!!!

I think I used to keep the 5 postion mid control in the central..I'd changed it from time to time. There is plenty of gain on tap with that amp. They have a VERY nice singing lead tone!

I A/B THAT cab to my Marshall 1960b cabs with the same speakers (75s) . The Ampeg seemed a tad more focused...those are great cabs!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm glad you are liking the amp. It was good to me for several years but it was time to move it. I'm glad it's got a good home.

Please post your thoughts on the 6550's vs. the EL-34's. I preferred the EL-34's but I think you'll like having the opportunity to try both types of tubes.

By the way, with what Bill said about Zakk Wylde being endorser, I had one of the Ampeg endorsement posters that had Zakk posing with a VL half-stack. I remember a story, too, that Paul Gilbert used a VL-series amp for a while, I think during his Mr. Big days.
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I will John and thanks again for a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                    I'm glad you are liking the amp. It was good to me for several years but it was time to move it. I'm glad it's got a good home.

Please post your thoughts on the 6550's vs. the EL-34's. I preferred the EL-34's but I think you'll like having the opportunity to try both types of tubes.

By the way, with what Bill said about Zakk Wylde being endorser, I had one of the Ampeg endorsement posters that had Zakk posing with a VL half-stack. I remember a story, too, that Paul Gilbert used a VL-series amp for a while, I think during his Mr. Big days.
                    That's right! Zakk looked like a railroad engineer or something, he endorsed Morley wahs too. Paul Gilbert did use them. Oh, you can one in the first Waynes World movie! I think that's Keel's Mitch Perry playing 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      That's right! Zakk looked like a railroad engineer or something, he endorsed Morley wahs too. Paul Gilbert did use them. Oh, you can one in the first Waynes World movie! I think that's Keel's Mitch Perry playing 'em.
                      Yep, Zakk was wearing a railroad engineer-type hat, leaning on the half-stack.

If I recall the article that I read about Paul, he was passing through the St. Louis area (home of SLM - St. Louis Music - the owners of Ampeg) on tour with Mr. Big. Before the St. Louis show, SLM took a few heads down for him to try out. Supposedly Paul liked the amps so much that he used them that night on stage.

But it's been a long time since I read that story and my mind isn't what it was used to be...
                      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Mine isn't either bro..I blame the THC!

Comment

I don't remember Zakk with the Ampeg, but I do remember him being endorsed and supposedly using Lee Jackson's Metaltronix amp.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah Joe. When the Ampeg Lee Jackson came out..Zakk endorsed them. I'm sure there's that pic somewhere..I'll see if I can find it. I never seen him play it tho. He's endorsed by Metaltronix on No Rest for the wicked..Oh, wait a minute, Zakk is endorsed by Ampeg and Morley on the (1991) No More Tears album!! That could be a Ampeg Vl1002 on that recording..that was Zakk's best tone IMO!

No Marshall mentioned on his first few recordings with Ozzy. I'm always thinkin' 2203 Marshalls / Boss DS-1s with him.

Comment

Ahh googled shit...I just found conversation with fuckers on Harmony Central..but no pics of Zakk with them.

I found this guy fuggin' around with a VL1002. He's just dialing it in ..he ain't playin' nothing. It does cover alot of ground. I liked them better than my Recto (they were about the same price).. I kept those Ampegs for a while and ran them with my 5150's..here.http://youtube.com/watch?v=T6rZ0V5lr0c&feature=related

I remember they have a smooth midrange "cut" to them for solos..the reverb smooths it out even more..http://youtube.com/watch?v=XBHSp-tCJG8&feature=related

These vids could assist you in fucking up your amp..I don't recommend watching this.http://youtube.com/watch?v=kweGRIci_es
                              Last edited by horns666; 04-21-2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X