No announcement yet.

Could someone with a 5150 & BBE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow world of difference there, thanks a lot!

Comment

Yeah, thanks for posting. I've been thinking about getting a BBE to go alongwith a marshall JMP1 and I now know exactly the difference it makes in the sound. I have a preset in the Boss gt-8 called Rhythm1 which does exactly that difference in sound. Cool!
      Sam

Comment

Very good demo Travis!!!

..and its good to see ya..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hey, Bill. What's up?

It's been a while since I've been around. Had some personal stuff going on. All is good now, though.

The demo is what it is. I much prefer the sound I get with my EQ in the loop as well. But I just wanted to show what kind of difference the BBE provides to a neutral amp with all the amp settings at 12:00.

One thing to note, gentlemen. The best thing I ever did was listen to Bill and get a BBE 422 for my 5150. I was ready to sell it because I was never happy with the tone. He convinced me, and the rest is history. I still have the amp. If you've got a 5150, GET A BBE 422!!!!!

Comment

Its very good to see ya around. Hope all is well, you hurt your back didn't you? Still dealing with my wife's claim/ins crap.

Yes, the 5150/BBE422 is a great match IMO. Its a permanent fixture in my Marshall rack. The BBE responds better with the 5150 more than any amps I've tried. The difference is night and day...with all your settings at noon.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Well I showed this vid to my friend and he's either tone deaf or stubborn but he still doesn't think he should buy one.
              I say fuggem, one day I'll get myself a 5150 and show him how it's done

Comment

This is what he sounds like now on his modded 5150: :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkO-H...eature=related
                Almost no low end.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                  This is what he sounds like now on his modded 5150: :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkO-H...eature=related
                  Almost no low end.
                  Ewwww..that's modded alright. Mod it back!!!

Wow, he got a 120wt tube half stack to sound like small transistor radio..that's cool!

Comment

I believe you, but I need to convince someone of that and he's quite hard headed lol. He does have a modded 5150, would the difference be big even then?
                    What mods have been done and by who? If the right ones are done a 5150 won't need a BBE.

Almost no low end.
                    Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Ewwww..that's modded alright. Mod it back!!!

Wow, he got a 120wt tube half stack to sound like small transistor radio..that's cool!
                    WTF?????
                    First, have someone really dial it in. Looking at the knobs he doesn't look to be "optimizing" the settings from what I could see.

Find out what mods he had done. The 3 I'd recomend off the bat are the bias mod, the integrated quad powertube set KT88/6L6 and have the ribbon cables upgraded to handle the tubes. (don't do the tube mod without doing the ribbon cables as you MAY fry them and cause other damage as a result) These mods give the amp new life and make everything much more usable. I started out with the plug & play set from Bob at Eurotubes which sounded better then decided to do the bias mod, and it got even better....however after a few months the amp started acting strange....long story short, the ribbon cable went bad. Forutnately, I didn't play long enough with the issue to cause any other damage but it took a long time to finally diagnose. With the upgraded cable installed the amp is monster again and it may be me, but it even sounds tighter than it did with the original one.

Oh yeah, did I mention I don't use a noise gate? That's food for thought too.
                    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

to be honest, i don't like the sound with the BBE engaged at all, judging from the youtube video. it's nothing amazing without it either, but then again, that's with everything @ 5, what do you expect....just turn a few knobs and it'll sound amazing.
                      with the BBE engaged however it turns into a buzzy harsh scooped fizzy mess.
                      "Wow, he got a 120wt tube half stack to sound like small transistor radio"
                      yes, by turning on the BBE.

i don't know, maybe it sounds better (*way* better i hope) in person, but judging from this video i'll NEVER buy a BBE for my beloved 5150....ever.

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                        What mods have been done and by who? If the right ones are done a 5150 won't need a BBE.
                        I don't know which mods he did, he bought it second hand. I doubt he even knows it himself or cares as he's not really a tech nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle View Post
                          "Wow, he got a 120wt tube half stack to sound like small transistor radio"
                          yes, by turning on the BBE.
                          SlasZ's friend doesn't have a BBE. Hence this thread
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Well Travis, posted a vid in the MP3 section with his EQd 5150 and BBE 422 ..there is NO trace of "sizzle" and he's playing displaying his lead tone which "sings" very very nicely.

The reason why Travis set everything @ 12:00 was to show the dramatic difference with the BBE unit engaged and bypassed.

Sven's, bud's "modded" 5150 without a BBE sounds like bumblebee ass in a coffee can.

Comment

Actually Bill, that other clip I did was with my Flextone III. That was just a test to see what my digital camera mic could pick up.

But yeah, I don't normally set my 5150 with everything at noon. And I do run an eq in the loop as well. I tend to boost my mids a little as the BBE can make it seem a little scooped. Perhaps I should do another video with something closer to the tone I usually have....

Comment

This is why Sven's friend Mobi666 is getting the "transistor" sound... Look at the comments he's posted.... :ROTF::ROTF:

Hi, the guitar used is a Dean Razorback 2-tone with dimebucker pickup. (checkout some of my other vids to see the guitar)
                                Sam

Comment

Working...
                                X