Scored a Roland R-8 Human Rhythm Composer drum machine for $30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Roland R-8 Human Rhythm Composer drum machine for $30

My roommate knew somebody at work who was selling her Roland R-8 drum machine at any price including manual, power supply, and sound library card. She parted with it for $30, and he gave it to me since my other guitar-wielding roommate "can't afford it".

Not sure what I'm gonna do with it. I did some research and it turns out it's a classic drum machine that still measures up today. Only two topics on the JCF talk about it but both gave high praise to the unit, which intrigues me to try it. However, I typically use backing tracks found online for practicing, and lately I have zero patience and zero time for programming, let alone recording, these days...

I'm gonna fiddle with it for a month, and if I can't integrate it into my life, then I'm probably going to put it on Craigslist.

I've had one since the late 80's. I bought a Boss machine a few years ago that has more sounds and more memory, but most of the sounds in the R8 sound better to me. The human feel feature makes it sound more natural. A store around here has had an R8 II for $350 for years so you got a great deal!

Comment

the older machines were WAY more programmable, even if SOME of them sound hokey...i have used a korg ddd-1 for YEARS. these days it serves as a "click" track in my studio, but when i do produce artists that WANT programmed beats, the korg is awesome. it has 12 individual "instrument" outs. i use them to feed the trigger ins of an alesis DM-pro to get more "modern" sounds. it is cool.

what features does the R8 have?
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X