Carvin DCM Power amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin DCM Power amps

After I watched my bandmate's Carvin TS100 go up in smoke...I mean, literally...I'm afraid mine will too someday. He disconneted a cab for not more than 2 minutes and it burnt out.

So, how are the SS power amps out there (strictly rack mount) like the carvin dcm series? Any other alternatives? I dont need more than 150Watts power.

thanks
    Sam

here's a tip - don't turn your power amp on without a load.... ever.

Don't judge a product's reliability on someone else's fuck up. That was user error, plain & simple.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I had the DCM150 for awhile and really liked it. I started getting rid of some gear and wound up selling it here to Alvin Wilson.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        here's a tip - don't turn your power amp on without a load.... ever.

Don't judge a product's reliability on someone else's fuck up. That was user error, plain & simple.
        Yeah for sure... That's not the poweramp's fault, you can't run any tube amp without a load connected to it....

Comment

Here's a really good analogy of what happened...take a deep breath....blow out but don't let any air escape.....keep building pressure...not comfortable is it?? Basically, the amp tried to do the same thing....but it had nowhere to vent....sorry, that's not Carvin's fault....

Comment

Please dont mistake me. I'm not dissing Carvin. I know it was his fault. I am looking along the lines of getting a SS poweramp as a backup Its going to be incredibly hot this year and since we practise in his garage, the temperature gets way hot in there. I'm just preparing for the worst.
            Sam

Comment

I didn't think that could happen with an SS amp unless you are running it full tilt...

Comment

I have a cheapo Behringer A500 solid-state poweramp. It's 500 Watts for $200 and has worked just fine for me so far.

The Carvin DCM series gets better reviews though, if you have the money that's probably a better buy.

Comment

A SS power amp will be fine for playing at home. If you are in a band and play live... you need a tube power amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    A SS power amp will be fine for playing at home. If you are in a band and play live... you need a tube power amp.
                    Yeah, I finally know how bad they sound. I tried to play the crate powerblock over the drummer's racket and it just sounded so crappy. But since these DCM amps are supposedly "pro", just hoping...maybe, they're better.
                    Sam

Comment

another case of the ID 10 T error.

you can pick up a Crate Powerblock for $100 and have yourself a 150w backup poweramp that comes with its own purse to carry it around.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The older Rocktron Velocity power amps are nice. I liked mine more than the DCM150 I had.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          another case of the ID 10 T error.

you can pick up a Crate Powerblock for $100 and have yourself a 150w backup poweramp that comes with its own purse to carry it around.
                          I already have one. GT-8 coupled with the Harmonic Converger, the sounds through the crate are actually sounding as good, if not better, than the carvin.

Originally posted by Robotechnology View Post
                          The older Rocktron Velocity power amps are nice. I liked mine more than the DCM150 I had.
                          I've read some good reviews about the Velocity PA's too. But it seems a little less when it comes to power. Only 40 watts per channel. Not sure if it can match the sound of my band-mate's carvin.
                          Sam

Comment

Working...
                          X