Do I Need A New Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I Need A New Amp?

I have been wrestling with this one for a couple years. I have a Framus Cobra (re-biased, great tubes) that kills.

However, I am more into a Michael Schenker type of tone (or Methias Jabbs for that matter) these days.

I don't play nu metal or any modern day heavy on the bass BBE type stuff. I am pretty much an instrumental solo type of player and some of the very best tones I have ever heard have been from Schenker and Jabbs - just my opinion of course.

Been considering getting a Marshall. Use to have a 9500 actually and probably should not have sold it. Anyway thinking about a head.

If I like it enough I may or may not get rid of the Framus. But I do love the Framus. It crushes.

Anyway, overall Marshalls have problems. Its no secret. If I could get the same sound with a Germino or Mojave or Metro I would probably go for one of those.

But then people say nothing sounds like a Marshall and I don't know if I could get the 80's metal solo tones with the above amps.

The newer amps though (some of them anyway) have built in power attenuators which I would love.

With a Marshall I would have to get something - variac or something. And I have heard those cause havic on the amps - burn out not only tubes but caps and things after a while.

If I were to go the Marshall route my choices would include a JCM800 2100, or DSL100 or the new JVM410H.

Hopefully I would not have to change speakers. I have 2 - 2x12" Bag Ends - each is 4 or 8 ohms. Can't remember off hand but there is nothing that can touch them for sound. I would not want to have to get rid of them.
    Each one can handle 400 watts continuous power and can handle 1600 watt peaks.

Anyway, what do you guys think?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I just bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and am totally thrilled with it. I run it through 2 4x12 celestion cabs. I also recently purchased the EVH III, sounds great too, but disappointed with the noise, especially in the effects loop. The Marshall eats up anything I own as far as tone, flexibility in tone, and over all performance. My only bitch is the cheesy little footswitch that comes with it. It has already been replaced. The other thing Marshall could have done differently, would have been to add the Lead Channel button to the footswitch in essence adding a boost for solos. The Lead Channel 2 is very hot and can get out of control if gain isnt backed off. I dont use it, but would if there was a pedal to shut it off and turn it on.

IMO..The DSL is a great amp, and will prob buy another to run two more cabs in the future.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Shredmonster
      If you deciede to sell the Cobra let me know , I'm looking for one
      Thanks

Comment

Uh oh.......... just found guys talking about the Splawn Quickrod. Sounds like its the best of Marshalls.
        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          I just bought a JCM 2000 DSL 100 and am totally thrilled with it. I run it through 2 4x12 celestion cabs. I also recently purchased the EVH III, sounds great too, but disappointed with the noise, especially in the effects loop. The Marshall eats up anything I own as far as tone, flexibility in tone, and over all performance. My only bitch is the cheesy little footswitch that comes with it. It has already been replaced. The other thing Marshall could have done differently, would have been to add the Lead Channel button to the footswitch in essence adding a boost for solos. The Lead Channel 2 is very hot and can get out of control if gain isnt backed off. I dont use it, but would if there was a pedal to shut it off and turn it on.

IMO..The DSL is a great amp, and will prob buy another to run two more cabs in the future.
          100% agreed.

I've thought of a hack to fix that issue. Convert both footswitch jacks to stereo (4 different switches). Wire one pair up as R/L and reverb on/off, and the other pair to turn on either lead switch button. Or, have one switch turn both buttons on or off, and have the other switch control the bass or mid buttons.

By using a pair of stereo jacks, you don't drill any holes in the chassis, making the hack reversable.

Comment

After lots of looking I am leaning towards a Makoplex
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

the Splawn is a good choice for you IMO. If you are into the hot-rodded Marshall tone (and I am!) Splawn is a good choice. Dont forget the added solo boost which is a God send. I dont know why more (all) amps dont come with a solo boost! If you get a Splawn I doubt you'll be disappointed. He is a cool guy too. Every time I have called the shop, Scott Splawn himself has answered the phone. Very personable and he stands by his stuff. Add to that is if you go new you can get your choice of tolex, its all good. I dont see how you can go wrong.

Comment

Regardless of the situation/functionality/dissapointments/wants, the answer to your main question is always....yes. Going on 6 amps now and each has it's own characteristics that make me want to keep it and buy another used one or build another. If you like it for any reason, you'll regret getting rid of it later.

$.02
                www.JerryRobison.com
                '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Dude, I duno't know. My bud in Beyond Fear w/ Ripper Owens really liked the Framus Cobra, second to the Uberschall. He's a pretty credible dude that tours like mad. He plays "heavier" than your style. BUT, much like my Bogner, the Framus can be tamed! There's dudes here that own Framus and love them. I have no use for DSL/TSL whatsoever after owning one, but some guys do well with them. Also check into a Peavey JSX. But, what you're aiming at is a Soldano SLO, or perhaps a VHT Pittbull classic...or Splawn!!!

The JVM is the best Marshall they put out in a VERY long time IMO. Some people that build and fuck with amps complain of build quality issues anything after the 900 series. As far as tone, the JVM covers alot of Marshall ground.

I don't like the 5150III. I was very disappointed. My wife of over 20 years thought it sounded horrible. It had a midrange "honk", somewhat weak low end and a pretty lifeless edge to my ears. I dialed in a "passable" tone at best and I'm pretty polished with VH chops. It doesn't suck..but nothing great...IMO!

If you're going for that genuine classic Scorpions tone..Soldano SLO screams "blackout" like nothing else I've heard...a Splawn would come second..that nails classic VH like nuts!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

After thinking about it..You can NOT go wrong with a Splawn, Soldano SLO, VHT Pitbull, or Bogner XTC!!!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Don't get rid of the Cobra. You'll regret it. Get another amp to supplement it.

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                        Don't get rid of the Cobra. You'll regret it. Get another amp to supplement it.
                        Yeah..I would do that first. Unless you must sell (funds)it to buy another amp. But you better make certain you love it to make that leap.

Comment

I'd go for the Splawn or Soldano if I had the money. I'm into pretty much the same kind of tones as you. I don't really care for the modern hard rock/metal tones.

Comment

XTC - cool amp I would think but probably between the Marshall and Cobra tones. I think the Cobra would eat it for dinner.

VHT - to dry or something. Had a friend that had a couple and don't really like 'em. I want a little more sag and compression for leads using just the amp not a processor and EQ.

SLO - I may try one out. Heard they have their own voicing though.

The others I may look at are Metropolis or Mojave if I can find them.

But I am definitely going to try a Quickrod.

Yeah I would not get rid of the Cobra unless the other amp was really good and was very versitile.

I don't have to sell the Cobra before buying another amp. Its not a matter of money.

The Cobra is a really great amp. I have read and read lots and lots of feedback on the Cobra and tone is opinion and for heavy tone the Framus is one of the best. I got mine in about 2002. Does not have the external bias on it.

In the end I might not even consider selling the Cobra.

I might have to go around here to a store and try the Splawn. Not the Nitro but the Quickrod correct?
                            Last edited by shredmonster; 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Hell, if you have the means try out an Uberschall...it owns!

That and a Splawn and Soldano SLO is worthy to investigate. The Soldano is NO gain monster..you know intro the to "Blackout"..well, that's what it does!

Comment

Working...
                              X