No announcement yet.

Do I Need A New Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys think the XTC could pull off the Schenker sound and Scorpion tones?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
      After lots of looking I am leaning towards a Makoplex
      I didn't play this model but spent some time with a Mako Custom Hundred and it was the best for what you are looking for of anything that I've tried (SLO, JVM410, Splawn QR, VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead, 5150 III, Stiletto, Uberschall, XTC, Shiva, Egnator and others that I'm sure I'm forgetting). My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't get Andrew at Mako to return my correspondence when I was trying to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post

If your looking for Marshall tone why not keep the Crobra, snag an old JMP or JMC 800 2203/04 and go old school with a TS or SD1 in frint? That is where the MS tone is from

Truth spoken
        "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          If your looking for Marshall tone why not keep the Crobra, snag an old JMP or JMC 800 2203/04 and go old school with a TS or SD1 in frint? That is where the MS tone is from
          And don't forget to add a Crybaby with the pedal set about halfway down.

Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

You don't need a new amp IMO..you can cover alot of sonic ground with what you have!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
              You guys think the XTC could pull off the Schenker sound and Scorpion tones?
              yes
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Get a JVM410. It sounds great at low volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
                  DING, DING!!!!! We have a winna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
                    Get a JVM410. It sounds great at low volumes.
                    I have heard the 410H was not that dynamic compared to some other amps but I will try one out anyway.

I was thinking since I have a Cobra which has beautiful cleans and high gain that kills that the only thing I am really missing is the Marshall thing.

I am contemplating as one of my choices a 2210. Although the David Bray stuff - the 1987X looks pretty good.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Guys found one I think I am going to try.

Don't think these can be beat for quality, features and sound from everything I have checked out.

And a major feature is the power scaling.
                      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Which model are you planning to get? Does it have enough gain for you or do you plan to run some distortion or overdrive pedals as part of your tone?

I think his power scaling feature is interesting. I'd like to get to try a few of his amps.

Comment

I am looking at the 2204ps. I called him and spoke with him.

The ONE THING I don't like is it does not have 2 channels - which I thought it did. I have heard these are just friggin' killer sounding amps. And I bet they are.

I almost have to have 2 channels so I might go to GC and try out a Marshall JVM first. The JVM is suppose to be the best Marshall in years and can be tamed on the gain stages with a noise suppressor cause they can get noisy.

At the same time I am going to get some customer names from Soultone and call to see how these guys are getting clean/crunch/solo sounds out of these things.
                          PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

If you really want to 2 channels (and I'm guessing that you'd like a good clean channel), I think you ought to try to track down some Rivera's before you plunk down cash.

Regardless, good luck with whatever you decide to purchase. Be sure to post some pics.

Comment

Well tried the Marshall JVM this weekend. Also tried some Fuchs, Dr Z, Two Rock and some others.

Also tried the Hughes Kettner Triamp MK II. The JVM and Triamp sounded pretty buzzy but we did not crank them. I would have to play with the JVM more.

However I tried this Budda Overdrive 45 watter. Holy shit what an amp. Not a super high gain but still had plenty of gain for lead playing and sounded like a great Marshall that was smoothed out some. Super organic. Without a doubt one of the best amps I have ever heard.

On to some more.
                              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Did you end up getting the Budda Overdrive 45? Is it working out for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X