New tubes for my 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tubes for my 5150

So, it seems to be time to get a new set of power tubes for my 5150 (block letter edition). Currently I've got a set of EH 12AX7s and Svetlana 6L6s in there. They sound good. But they didn't seem to be anywhere near as duable as the stock tubes that came with them.

I've heard people rave about the JJ tubes. And I've heard others mention that the stock tubes are the way to go.

What's the concensus? Think I should get some OEM tubes from the 6505 amps or get some aftermarket tubes of a different brand? I'm not gigging with this amp so I've got plenty of time to decide.

The cheap STOCK sylvania's sounded best in mine.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've got JJs in every tube slot available in that amp and think it sounds great, but I haven't really played with many options. I'm perfectly satisfied with it though and have no desire to switch them out for anything else.

Comment

I wasted my money on Groove Tubes about 14 years ago. Under the advice of Dr Z who told me to get hardness level 6 because I like preamp distortion. I guess Ed used hardness 2s per Matt Bruck at that time..they break up faster. Either way they sounded terrible. I still have a set of stock tubes that came out of my first 5150 I bought in '90..they're around somewhere.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have JJs in my 5150 head and Electro-Harmonix in my combo. I'd probably get more E-H's when I re tube the head, I like high gain though.

Comment

+1 on the JJs. Love em.
            Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

i recommend S.E.D. Winged C's.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Winged c's will sound awesome for sure

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  i recommend S.E.D. Winged C's.

I'm not familiar with those. I'll have to look them up.

Comment

Nobody knew all this shit in '90..when people talked to other people on a telephone..with a cord connected to it.

that was crazy!

Comment

Working...
                    X