Speaker suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker suggestions

I'm looking to try something different in my cabs. Right now I have a Recto traditional 4x12 (basically a standard Mesa 4x12, not the "oversized" one), and a Mesa Recto 2x12 (oversized cab). Both have V30's in them and though I think they do sound ok, I've always felt every amp I've played through them sounds a bit harsh (JSX, 6505, Soldano Avenger, Marshall DSL, Recto, Roadster...).

What speakers would you recommend that have a tight low end and good mids? I think that is the problem with the V30's... they have a harsh midrange quality to them. I want that cut without the harshness. I've tried G12-75T's and didn't like them too much... too ice-picky up top IMO. They don't have to be Celestions either. I've heard good things about Eminence and also Mesa C90's (I also have a 3/4 back Mesa 1x12 with one in it, though I haven't seen it much over the last few years as my Nephew is "borrowing" it haha. I've always liked the way that cab sounded).

The music I play is hard rock and metal (in an old school way). I also use 7 strings for some stuff I'm writing as well.
    Last edited by khabibissell; 05-07-2008, 05:33 PM.

75's and 30's in a X pattern is the best of both worlds.
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Steve I have five Marshall cabs worth of celestion 75s..they do the job. I prefer them to V30's, which seem nuetered at the low end. I'm never that concerned about mids since that's where all guitar freqs are. Greenbacks sound awesome at low/moderate which is perfect for recording but NOT at band levels , especially over a loud drummer. The best speakers I ever heard in my life were in a old Peavey cab with celestion 80s. It sounded great with any head I ran with it. They sound very similar to 75s ,but with a tad more bottom, without the harsh edge and just warmer all around. Don't go with EV..I had many friends try that route, thought they were happy and went back to celsetion. So, I'd assume the 90's would be a safe bet for you with your recto!!

BTW..V30s only sound good in a Recto cab IMO. The girth of that cab makes up for the low end they normally lack in normal size cabs. Maybe a Recto cab with an X config 90/V30's may be the answer if four 90's are too "dark"..but I would investigate 90's first. I know you would just love 80's but they're pretty obscure.

Try 'em till they please the ears..but keep your ears fresh because they can get fatigued..then everything sounds like shit..and we all know that crap.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

round ones...yeah..12 inch round speakers would get my vote.

The C-90's kick ass. If I had a Mesa cab i'd prolly go with 2 V30's and 2 C90's
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          round ones...yeah..12 inch round speakers would get my vote.

The C-90's kick ass. If I had a Mesa cab i'd prolly go with 2 V30's and 2 C90's
          Yeah..now I want that.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I agree with Bill. The 75's get the job done.

I might add that if your vintage 30's are new, they might soften up as they break in. I'm not sure how long this takes, Weber's website probably has some recomendations.

Comment

if i can't have EVM12L's, i will use the mesa C90's. i prefer dark sound speakers. in my current live rig though, i am using 2 rivera 1x12 cabs with the EVM12L's and a vertical mesa recto 2x12 with V30's. they sound great together. BUT, i cut the back of my mesa cab in half. i HATE closed back cabinets, it make everything sound crappy to me. i like when the sound fills the room from all angles.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I think I'm going to go with Mesa C90's. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

another thing you could try is adding some poly-fil to your cabinet, it will cut some of the mid's and extend the bottem of your mesa cabs. Basically it will simulate the oversized cabinet.

Comment

whatever speakers are in the G-Flex.
                    Scott

Comment

25w greenbacks are wonderfull.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Eminence Swamp Thangs? I'm getting a pair myself for my Laney combo.
                        93 USA Soloist EDS
                        USA HT6 Juggernaut
                        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Oh yeah... Another speaker I've heard positive stuff about are the Red, White, and Blues from Eminence. Anyone here try those?

Comment

Working...
                          X