Back with a new amp! (woohoo!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back with a new amp! (woohoo!)

Hi everyone! I've been away from the board for quite a bit of time now, april has been terrible month, lots of work and my father was at the hospital for a kidney surgery, then my computer at home had trouble opening JCF homepage. Fortunatly the Gods saw all my actions from the heavens and they managed to let me buy an old JCM 800 2204 for a great price!
    I still have to test it with a band til tomorrow, but I can say for sure that this fuck*r is LOUD. Much more louder than any other amp I played with! I noticed also that, at least at quite volume, the amp is a bit flubby on the low freqs. I think that I will boost it with an OCD. Well tomorrow I'll take hell out of it!
    Last edited by Mordor; 05-09-2008, 01:43 AM.

Mordor! Good to see you back. Congrats on the amp. Sorry to hear about your dad - hope he's doing okay.

Let us know how the 800 sounds when you fire her up with the band.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Yep..loud as fuggin' hell..they can actually make your teeth hurt.!

Have fun..
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

My father is going good now, he has to be at the hospital next week for another check up but he's going fine. The amp is a horizontal input, I dunno how much difference there is with the old vertical input. Do I have to set it to eleven?

Comment

First of all, I'm glad that your father is doing well. That certainly must be a big relief to him and your entire family.

As for the Marshall, that is indeed a classic. Are you going to be running some pedals in front of it? If you're a fan of classic '80's rock and metal, you should just about have hit the mother lode with that amp. Congrats!
          Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Thanks! I love 80s metal so I will have lots of fun with this amp. It looks like it's in excellent workin order. It's not noisy and pots don't scratch too. I think I will boost it with a bad monkey or an OCD.

Comment

Try boosting it with a YJM308. GREAT FUN!!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

Really John..dude, have you tried the Maxon stuff the 808 or TS9 version. A friend who's always played with a stomp says they're awesome..your thoughts?

I always thought they were cheap knocksoff when they came out..but I guess the're supposed to be better than the originals...I dunno. Kinda costly now.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Apparently the maxon 808 uses the same guts as my original ts-10 tube screamer 'classic' (it has the good chip in it), which is good cause I was gonna buy an 808 till I found that out

I haven't played a yjm308, but ive played both the yellow reissue and original grey 250 its based off of and I'd love to try it with an 800! If I had a few acres to turn it up that is

Comment

Back from the rehersals! This amp is really louder than any other amp I have or I have played with. I had it at 3 of volume and it was already over the drums. Preamp was at 10 obiously. I boosted it with a fulltone ocd with volume at noon, gain at zero and tone at eleven oclock. With this settings I already had plenty of gain for the stuff that I play with this guy ( motorhead like stuff ). Tone was great! Before the drummer had all his stuff ready I played a bit some bark at the moon riff and the sound was almost there! Now all I need is to build a nice pedal bord to go with it!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I agree rr maybe an Analogman-modded OD-250 (or YJM-308), particularly if you're playing a strat or single-coil pickups.

Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Maxon is the company that made all those classic Ibanez pedals. Their shit is good!
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Thanks Tim..My bud will bring his over next time he visits.

Comment

What's the main difference between a YJM-308 and a classic overdrive like a TS or a SD1?

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
                              What's the main difference between a YJM-308 and a classic overdrive like a TS or a SD1?
                              the sound.

hehheh, really, it's like they all do the same thing but with a slightly different flavor. i'm totally loving my keeley modded SD-1 and i'm using the same settings that you described.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X