Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you take the "easy way out" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

easy wah....
    Les paul Std - OD - Old Marshall JMP
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

When you use as much eq and gain as Dime did, most any guitar is going to sound pretty much the same through that rig. I don't think the fact that he played a Dean really had anything to do with his overall tone. I'm sure a Jackson, Ibanez, ESP, etc, or even a Les Paul would have still done the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
        he played whatever he was paid to play or got free gear from. like all the other guys.
        His distinctive gear pieces (the lightning sky Dean and the solid-state Randall) are items he won in contests, I believe.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

That was a crap statement from the late great Dimebag. He absolutely took the easy way out in regards to amps and guitars. The majority of his tone came from his fingers. There was nothing magical about his tone. The magic was in his playing and his writing and his passion for all that is metal

Comment

If I remember, he already had a Dean, and then won another. He sold the one, where the next owner had it painted with the lightning graphics. Some time down the line, he bought it back. Don't know about the Randall, but that's how I recall the guitar story, if someone could corroborate the story.
            I'm not Ron!

Comment

When I bought my 1st Marshall 1969 Super 100 tremolo it was a different choice everyone was playing Fenders / Vox / Sunn Ect.

Comment

Jackson Custom Shop
                Boogie IIC+ and III

Easy way out? Maybe
                GODLIKE TONE? YES
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I did a lot of searching around, lots of amps and guitars until I found something I liked.

I used to have 9 guitars, and now I'm back down to 2 (a Strat and a Charvel). I'm still looking around for a Les Paul.

My amp is a Carol Ann. I have a delay and a Budwah pedal. I'm happy.

I've found that one thing most people overlook is their cab/speaker combo. I'm playing through an oversized Mojo cab with two heavy as hell EV12L 200 watt speakers.

With my 100 watt amp that sounds great at any level, the 2 EVLs are a perfect match. They can make my Hot Rod vintage strat with weak-ass 1962 vintage single coils sound heavy, heavy, heavy. I had the Fuchs Frost 100 (a heavy metal amp) and the EVHIII come through here with different cabs. I got the CarolAnn OD2100, matched it with a CarolANN cab, and finally realized that the speakers make a huge difference. I was playing previously through Classic lead 80s and V30s.

Comment

Call me "Mr. Easy" ! VHT 2/90/2/ EVH 5150 III... stereo from a Boss GT-8 into a VHT FB 4/12 cab...and the right channel is 2 Crate 2/12 Celestion cabs! Plugging into this rig with Bad Horsie... HRF Charvel...
                    90' Jem Floral...or a GMW Frankenstrat...or 5150 Warmoth..or GMW Empire.. or EVH Art Series...or ... you get the point! Cheat whenever
                    possible!

Last edited by Robert Burns; 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                      If I remember, he already had a Dean, and then won another. He sold the one, where the next owner had it painted with the lightning graphics. Some time down the line, he bought it back. Don't know about the Randall, but that's how I recall the guitar story, if someone could corroborate the story.
                      That's the gist with the Dean. I think he added the Floyd. I think he also won his first Randall at a talent contest.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yep, he won them. His dad bought him his first dean, then he won one in a guitar contest, which sounded better, but he couldn't sell the one his dad bought him so sold the better sounding one (for mags for his car I think, firebird). He then won a randall, and also a charvel. He liked the charvel but it didn't sound like his dean so his band members made him ditch it

Then buddy blaze painted the original guitar and ran into dime one day who told him the story, and dime said he'd do anything to get it back, and two days later it showed up on dimes doorstep!

something like that anyway.

Comment

back to the original question....

i think there are easier ways to "take the easy way out", so to say. i have played the LP into a marshall rig several times and it wasn't easy for me. i have played a lot of "classic" rigs and i always go back to my rig. i love strats, even with the buzzing and humming, and i use them a lot in recording sessions. i have no problem using my boogie MKIV and PRS for recording leads - that combo is AWESOME for lead guitar, but if i go play that rig live, i am miserable. my vintage tremolux amp is KILLER with my tele for jamming around the house, but live....eh, it has MANY limitations.

funny thing, live i pretty much 100% play my USA jacksons into my rivera amps/cabs. they give me EVERYTHING i need live. but in the studio, i rarely play any jacksons, unless it is my euphoria PC-1 - and that is to ONLY use the sustainer!!!!

but to REALLY take the easy way out, all a guitarist NEEDS to do is pile on the gain, add a hefty amount of delay, and BOOM!!!! instant shredder. the best thing i EVER did was eliminate effects and learn to play with minimal gain.....
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I am sure that I read a news piece about Dimebag and his Randall amps. I think he got in to trouble with them cos he was ripping the insides out and putting Marshals inside them,. If that was true then he pretty much took the "Easy way out"

I use a 90's soloist with a line 6 amp.

Comment

Fender Big Apple Strat + Rivera KTre + Rivera K212 = bad ass
                              Charvel Greenie pointy + ENGL PB + Bogner 212 3/4 back = bad ass
                              PRS CU22 + Mesa RK + Recto 212 = bad ass

Those are my fav combos, all dry. I use very little F/X.
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Dime didn't have time to worry about getting the right combination. He was more concerned with his awesome wardrobe.
                                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                                X