Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you take the "easy way out" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to bag on him in the late 80's for his amp and guitar choice, as I was playing jackson/marshall...we spent quite a few nights in the rocker's (nightclub in PHX) parking lot after Pantera played smoking and talking, I hated the randall sound and didn't think that much of the deans...course now he's dead and famous and I'm alive unknown and typing here...Good times though. I agree with some of you...tone is in the fingers and mind. He would have sounded like himself no matter what he played through, didn't he switch to tube amps later anyways?
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I used to bag on him in the late 80's for his amp and guitar choice, as I was playing jackson/marshall...we spent quite a few nights in the rocker's (nightclub in PHX) parking lot after Pantera played smoking and talking, I hated the randall sound and didn't think that much of the deans...course now he's dead and famous and I'm alive unknown and typing here...Good times though. I agree with some of you...tone is in the fingers and mind. He would have sounded like himself no matter what he played through, didn't he switch to tube amps later anyways?
      I knew him from the Irving/Grand Prairie/Arlington Tx scene in the early 80's,before fame,before facial hair(LOL)but the dude had "IT" even then....and yes,he switched to all tube amps(Krank) near the end

Comment

Dimebag's tone was awful, so he didn't really make it work, did he :p

I use an Ibanez and an LTD into a Laney, when I tell people about the guitars they assume I play metal. I don't (well, I do sometimes, but it's not my first choice) and neither of the guitars are made for it, so I suppose that's unusual.
        Why so serious?

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          The time you "experiment" with getting a good combination of kit is when you are a kid and/or you are totally skint, out of necessity.

You start to play guitar on Dad's old Aria Pro2, find you have a talent for it, and soon you have an old Fender Dual Showman that's been sitting in your uncle's garage for 25 years. He gives it you for free, along with some nasty old WEM cab someone else finds in their shed. All kinds of family and friends remember old shite that previous boyfriends left in their house, so you soon amass piles of home-made pedals and cabs etc. Someone says that you can have a flight case they have had sitting about.

What? A real flight case? Wow, very professional!

You skip round there all excited to find that it's actually a box someone has knocked together out of MDF, painted black and stuck some aluminium edging on.
          "Ah, OK, thanks Granny. No, it's perfect, really. Thank you."

So, you have some gear (and a natty "flightcase"), you join a band, make a row, and maybe, just maybe it sounds passable.
          You then need a motor to get to practice so you save your money, keeping the same setup for ages because you have better things to spend your money on.
          After a while people start to notice your band and start to ask about your distinctive sound. You sagely tell them you spent many years in the wilderness experimenting with sonic textures. Much of the equipment you are using is virtually impossible to get, you would have to go on a serious quest to find the same rig again.

The fan listens in awe. You are just soooo wise, a real guru.

Then, when you get some cash, you fuck all that old shite into the nearest skip, and go out and buy a Marshall head, 4x12 and a Soloist, which is what you asked your Dad for in the first fucking place.

If you are really unlucky you will get caught in the trap of being seen to have a magical setup, and end up feeling obliged to play a guitar made from bits of fireplace for 30 years (like Brian Fucking May).

Only misers and obstinate cunts who don't have to service these old bits of shit love them. Ever tried getting a pot for a 1943 steam-driven Tuba wah pedal at 6pm Friday night in fucking Telford becuase Mr Special Needs simply can't go onstage without it? No, nor me, but I bet it's a nightmare. What happens is, you tell him it's fixed, plug him into a cheap Chinese throwaway unit, and he's none the wiser.
          Conclusion - It's all in your head.

Sooner or later in the quest for your optimum sound, you will hear it and want it. That's when you will find out it's the same combination you had 3 years ago but punted on for something else.
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

The key to Dimebag's tone was a Furman PQ-3 parametric eq. I believe he used it with all his amps.
            CURRENT GEAR SET UP
            2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
            1989 JACKSON KING V
            1984 JACKSON RR
            AXE FX II
            MESA BOOGIE 2:90
            DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
            FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

well i too like SS amps. i usually play my charvel avenger w/dimebucker thru a crate gt120HL. i guess i take the hard way....

Comment

I think that the real challenge in this should be learning to be a better player and not spending time making equipment sound good.

I'd rather get the best gear I can afford, get a good sound, then spend the rest of my time trying to play better.

As was stated earlier, a better player can make equipment sound better.

But good equipment doesn't always help a poor player.

Besides I didn't know that there was an "easy way" to playing guitar in the first place.....

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
                  I knew him from the Irving/Grand Prairie/Arlington Tx scene in the early 80's,before fame,before facial hair(LOL)but the dude had "IT" even then....and yes,he switched to all tube amps(Krank) near the end
                  Back when they were "just a little glam" with the original singer... Damn those guys partied hard. Forgot about the krank amps.
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Oh yeah...Playing the same Jackson/Marshalls that I have been doing for 20+ years...don't seem so fucking easy though...
                    www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                      When I bought my 1st Marshall 1969 Super 100 tremolo it was a different choice everyone was playing Fenders / Vox / Sunn Ect.
                      Do you still own the Marshall?,..And is it for Sale?!!,...HE! HE! HA!,..I'm sure it isn't!, but I had to ask!....LOL!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                        My trusty... Hello Kitty Strat and Roland Microcube!

This was taken at about 4 or 5 am when my buddy from Washington and a couple friends from San Diego came out and helped me dust about 3 cases of beer and a massive amount of bbq, don't really remember playing this until the next day when brandon posted it on the internet!

Vid 1

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

vid 2

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

a while back before I joined Motive (2000) I was in my band "Exiled" signed by - Hellion Records" I was also in a Slayer Tribute band named "Raining Blood"... we played 40+ slayer songs live
                        oh wow whenever i searched the anthrax song blood on youtube some of 'raining blood' 's live videos would show up, pretty kewl i guess lol

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          + a gagillion
                          +1 here as well.
                          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by RD View Post
                            My trusty... Hello Kitty Strat and Roland Microcube!

This was taken at about 4 or 5 am when my buddy from Washington and a couple friends from San Diego came out and helped me dust about 3 cases of beer and a massive amount of bbq, don't really remember playing this until the next day when brandon posted it on the internet!

Vid 1

vid 2

a while back before I joined Motive (2000) I was in my band "Exiled" signed by - Hellion Records" I was also in a Slayer Tribute band named "Raining Blood"... we played 40+ slayer songs live
                            not gona lie that was some of the coolest/SUPER funny shit ive seen. nice playing btw ....SLAYER! \m/

Comment

Model 3/Squier Tele into Digitech GNX-1 into Marshall Reverb 30. Not "classic", hardly "inspired", but I love it
                              Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Working...
                              X