Voodoo Modded Marshall DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voodoo Modded Marshall DSL?

I spoke to Trace at Voodoo Amps today and was thinking of taking advantage of their price drop and a break in my bands schedule at the end of the month. Really nice guy. I probably asked him really dumb stuff....That he has heard before I am sure.
    Anyways, he said that the added boost or lead channel boost can't be accessed by modding it for a pedal. Bummed...... But he did have alot to offer on some other areas. Has anyone here had their DSL modded by Voodoo and were there expectations met. I did a search but nothing came up specifically for me. Im considering pulling the trigger on the transformer swap as well. Im into the amp at a pretty dam good price, so I dont mind spending another 6 bones.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Price drop!,..Does this price drop only refer to the mod on the Marshall DSL? or all Marshalls and other amp mods?

Comment

It looks as if it is all around drop on all mods.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Well, I can't speak for the Marshall DSL, but he modded an ADA MP-1 for me in the Deluxe model mod and did a great job. It's quiet and he added a lot of neat presets. Turnaround was one day!
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Definately the transformers, i read over on the Marshall forum that the Mercs made a huge difference
          www.JerryRobison.com
          '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
            It looks as if it is all around drop on all mods.
            It looks like the price drop is only on the "Standard Mod" on the Marshalls. Checked a few of the other amps like Peavey 5150, Ampeg VL-1002, etc. and their mods were $295.
            $195. for the Standard Mod on JCM 800 2203's and 2204's sounds Very Tempting!! It's not a high gain mod but I've alwayed used an overdrive pedal with my JCM 800 50 watt anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
              Definately the transformers, i read over on the Marshall forum that the Mercs made a huge difference
              I have Drake's in my 1998 DSL100, so I won't be swapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                I spoke to Trace at Voodoo Amps today and was thinking of taking advantage of their price drop and a break in my bands schedule at the end of the month. Really nice guy. I probably asked him really dumb stuff....That he has heard before I am sure.
                Anyways, he said that the added boost or lead channel boost can't be accessed by modding it for a pedal. Bummed...... But he did have alot to offer on some other areas. Has anyone here had their DSL modded by Voodoo and were there expectations met. I did a search but nothing came up specifically for me. Im considering pulling the trigger on the transformer swap as well. Im into the amp at a pretty dam good price, so I dont mind spending another 6 bones.
                I think I could do it. I just don't have the time. I'm on the road almost all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I have Drake's in my 1998 DSL100, so I won't be swapping.
                  New Drakes aren't the same as the old iron say in early JCM800s so I have been told. My 99 dsl401 had Drakes and I couldn't stand it, but they were tiny and thinned out at volume. I haven't played a DSL head so maybe they are better? Merc Mags are the shit though the amps I have them in seriously kill. I would ask Trace what his take is this is...
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
                    ...but I've alwayed used an overdrive pedal with my JCM 800 50 watt anyway.
                    So why get a mod when you can simply switch out to a new pedal any time you're bored and want a new sound?

Just sayin'...

Comment

I have a JCM900 50w head running vintage Mullards and with a YJM308 out it front it absolutely kills. I had a few DSL's and a TSL and although I think they are fine amps I wouldn't spend the money modding one. Better off to get a JCM800 and throw a pedal out in front. I have had just about every Marshall amp and my JCM900 is my favorite. 50w is the perfect amount of wattage.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        So why get a mod when you can simply switch out to a new pedal any time you're bored and want a new sound?

Just sayin'...
                        Because modding the amp is a lot different than just changing a pedal!
                        I sudjest you go to the Voo Doo amps site and do a little research.

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
                          Because modding the amp is a lot different than just changing a pedal!
                          I sudjest you go to the Voo Doo amps site and do a little research.
                          You'd "sudgest" it, eh? I know what amp mods are about - thanks. I've been doing this a while. I'm not a mod guy though - I leave that to people with more time, money, and patience than I have.

Comment

Working...
                          X