New Amp! Crate Palomino V32H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp! Crate Palomino V32H

Bought a new amp earlier this week; a Crate Palomino V32H 30 watt, all-tube head.

These amps are discontinued, and Guitar Center is blowing them out. I picked mine up for 299.00, and my bandmate went and picked up the last one in the state yesterday. He already had the combo version, so we knew what they sounded like.

How does the head version sound? Even better! He has the matching 2x12 cabinet on order, so for last night's practice, I brought my Heritage 2x12 cabinet over. It sounded absolutely divine.

I own two boutique amp heads, and this isn't on the same par as those. But for 300.00, this baby is a steal. Forget every amp you ever heard that has "Crate" on it. This thing is in a league all of its own. In fact, the only place it says "Crate" is on the serial number sticker.

The original runs of these were made in the USA. THis last run was made in Vietnam, but the general consensus on the various forums is that there is no real difference.

It has two channels, a clean and an overdrive. It has usable clean headroom, and gets super crunchy on the overdrive channel. Oh, and this baby is LOUD.

It has three 12AX7 and four EL84 tubes, in a claimed Class A configuration. SOme have disputed that it is not true Class A, but whatever. It has a distinctive sound.

I am debating about picking up the matching 2x12 cab. I'll probably wait and hear how my buddy's sounds before doing so.

This is a fun, fun amp. Who knows if it will last for 20 years, but I am going to play this puppy until it explodes.

Here's some crappy pics:

I strongly recommend picking one of these up if you can find it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mark my words, this thing is going to become a collector's item.

- E.
    Last edited by AlexL; 05-18-2008, 02:08 PM.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Cool, its workin' out for you and liking it. I've tried it and can see why you like it..it does sound pretty "good" which is subjective. Personally, i would have no use for it for my needs.

You gotta go what works and inspires you to play. It does have a cool, distinct, organic tube tone for the $$. But, Its not nearly loud enough for me with a drummer for my style. It'll prolly kill for recording puposes , especially if slammed with a good stomp such as Maxon.

To be honest I wouldn't gave it a glance, but some dude was trying one and we started shootin' the shit. I was tweakin until I got sometyhing I could work with..then gave it a try.

I don't know about "collectors item' status being a Crate. Many people don't give them much thought. But Peavey was a poor/working mans amp back in the day ..so you may be right.

Good luck.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Like I said, I have two powerhouse amps, one for high gain, and another one for cleans, so this one will serve as a compact toy that brings out certain inspirations, as you said. Certainly not my main amp, but for a player on a budget, you could do no better than spending 300.00 for the head and 229.00 for the 2x12 cabinet, as was priced on clearance this past month.

And to those who doubt that this will be a collectors item, I have two words for you...

Digitech Whammy! Who would have thought the originals would be commanding the prices they are right now?

- E.

Comment

Well that's true. That amp is a great value. Not much can deliver such tones for that kinda dough..or more.

Congrats..and it does look nice.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

And..it looks great too! Thanks for the review.

Comment

What the hell is a Zwengel
            HEHEHHEE
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Cool I had been thinking about buying one myself but never did.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                HEHEHHEE
                All tube, 50W two channel amp. 4 12AX7, 2 6L6. Carl Zwengel out of Chicago made these.

Great amps, although apparantly his business practices were not the best and he ended up pissing some people off who had advanced him money for amps.

I never dealt directly with the man, I bought my half stack used. 1800.00 shipped for both pieces.

Great vintage channel, and great modern channel. The vintage channel has a great bluesy breakup to it. The modern channel gets into classic 80's rock & metal; perfect for me.

Turret board construction, and the wiring inside is a work of art, as Carl apparantly did electronics work in the military. It has a custom output transformer as well.

Not many people have heard these amps; I would guess there are maybe 25 - 30 in existance.

The head cabinet and speaker cabinet are made by Bogner.

Now you know!

- E.

Comment

Crate makes great amps but i've never been a fan of their cabnetry.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                    HEHEHHEE
                    "Dr.Z' had an affair with "Terry Wengle" ...okay..im stretching it! :ROTF:

Comment

I know Mike very well..used to hand at his shop everyday. I tried every amp in his place, and we jammed a couple times...great guy. He only has one guy actually building amps.

Unfortunately, there is not one single Z amp I could use without slamming it with a stomp. His "dirty" is an early JCM800 at best.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                        All tube, 50W two channel amp. 4 12AX7, 2 6L6. Carl Zwengel out of Chicago made these.

Great amps, although apparantly his business practices were not the best and he ended up pissing some people off who had advanced him money for amps.

I never dealt directly with the man, I bought my half stack used. 1800.00 shipped for both pieces.

Great vintage channel, and great modern channel. The vintage channel has a great bluesy breakup to it. The modern channel gets into classic 80's rock & metal; perfect for me.

Turret board construction, and the wiring inside is a work of art, as Carl apparantly did electronics work in the military. It has a custom output transformer as well.

Not many people have heard these amps; I would guess there are maybe 25 - 30 in existance.

The head cabinet and speaker cabinet are made by Bogner.

Now you know!

- E.
                        Thanks for the break down Eric! Never heard of it before, but it sounds like a keeper.
                        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I used to have the Crate 508 and the Palimino V8 combos. Both amp were smok'n! Especially for the money!

Comment

Working...
                          X